John McDougall: 37 grams of daily protein is easily enough.

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

John McDougall: 37 grams of daily protein is easily enough.

Postby sizzlinIsotope » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:47 am

"An average working man consumes 3,000 calories a day, so 5 percent of the total would be 150 calories from protein. Since each gram of protein is equal to 4 calories, this would represent 37 grams of protein. An average woman consuming 2,300 calories a day needs 29 grams of protein. These minimum requirements provide for a large margin of safety that easily covers people who theoretically could have greater protein needs. This quantity of protein is almost impossible to avoid if enough food is consumed to meet daily calorie needs. For example, 3,000 calories of rice alone would provide 60 grams of highly usable protein."

Source: http://www.jivdaya.org/protein_and_a_health_supporting_diet.html

Thoughts? Is 5% of calories from protein enough for vegan athletes? I personally find I thrive on smoothies with a lot of fruits, seeds, greens and nuts, so this would certainly be reassuring news for me (I was always a little paranoid about running low on protein, with my primarily raw, legume-free diet).
sizzlinIsotope

Re: John McDougall: 37 grams of daily protein is easily enou

Postby tal » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:33 pm

[quote="sizzlinIsotope"]Thoughts?

The fact that he bases his entire argument on animal research doesn't set off any alarm bells?

The only 'thoughts' I have is why anyone would take him seriously on any topic whatsoever.
tal

Re: John McDougall: 37 grams of daily protein is easily enou

Postby VeganGraham » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:44 pm

To be fair, he does use the rat experiments as an example of how animal testing is not relevant to humans.

It's a bit of a dilemma, I know. Wasn't there something about this at the Vegan Society AGM ? I think the Vegan Society has a policy of never quoting animal test results and someone was trying to get it changed so that they could use examples of bad science based on animal tests.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating