Beginning a High Raw Diet

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Beginning a High Raw Diet

Postby Bounce » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:49 am

I have felt inspired to try a high raw diet. I've been working out a lot and felt like my current diet isn't fueling me well... Also, I'm finding it hard to drop belly fat (I'm on Seroquel/Quetiapine and it causes major bloating, especially with wheat)... I've lost two inches (depending on the bloat) around my waist and the scale fluctuates 1 - 8 lbs... I am trying raw because I'm sick of feeling like a balloon... Also, it sounds weird, but I feel like my body is screaming for nutrients. I am hoping raw food will help me feel more in tune with my body.

Are there many raw foodists here? I am aiming for 75-90% of calories from raw food and am gonna eat whole foods, or things like my banana fruit flapjacks (just banana, oats and fruit), so I know what goes in to it...

I'm on day 3... Got a runny nose and am a bit head achey, but generally feel pretty good.

How long was it before you felt the effects of being raw? Does it help weight loss? How many calories a day do you eat? What's your favourite food?
Last edited by Bounce on Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bounce

Re: Beginning a High Raw Diet

Postby Bounce » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:52 am

I'm also worried about consuming too much fruit and not enough protein... Is maybe 15-20% or calories from protein enough?

I work out 4-5 times a week, mostly cardio and some interval training. Hoping to add running to the mix. I don't know why I'm not losing weight, or why my energy hasn't been too great (I track my calories and lost 38lbs before - I know a fair bit about weight loss! Not every thing obv)
Bounce

Postby baldy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:11 pm

[quote="Bounce"]... Is maybe 15-20% or calories from protein enough?

Only if the protein is 126% cooked :)

Sounds like your problem is bloating, so is the idea to find a solution for that?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby ninearms » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:30 pm

JUST SAY NO TO SCIENTIFICALLY BOGUS CRACKPOT FAD DIETS. FOR THE ANIMALS.

Raw vegans: making veganism look stupid since 1922.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby Bounce » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:33 pm

Well, three days in on high raw and no bloating so far. Have felt a bit headachey though. I def won't go 100% and will have one cooked meal a day.

The bloating is apparently very common for people on the same meds as me. Eating cooked foods I can be 31 inches around my waist in the morning and 33-34 not even 24 hours later. I can't think how it happens... I literally look pregnant. It's embarassing because I look after myself and exercise and look gross. I am much less happy with my appearance at present (I gained a stone March - December due to illness and am struggling to get rid of it).

I've wondered if the drug makes me more sensitive to soy or wheat (I've noticed way more soy issues).

Any idea how to stop it? I'd not changed my diet from before I took the meds. :sad:

I've been raw curious for a while though.. Still gonna trial it.
Bounce

Postby Bounce » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:39 pm

[quote="ninearms"]JUST SAY NO TO SCIENTIFICALLY BOGUS CRACKPOT FAD DIETS. FOR THE ANIMALS.

Raw vegans: making veganism look stupid since 1922.

To be fair, I have a couple of high raw friends who are always working out and look great. They sing praises for the raw lifestyle.

Don't know anybody 100% raw though.
Bounce

Postby baldy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:51 pm

"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Bounce » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:10 pm

I'm guessing questions about raw foodism aren't welcome on this site?

My apologies. I'll try elsewhere.
Bounce

Postby baldy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:32 pm

[quote="Bounce"]I'm guessing questions about raw foodism aren't welcome on this site?

Apologies at my attempt at humour. Raw food questions are certainly welcome as are just about vegan or fitness related questions.
From past threads on this forum related to eating raw, you will find the value of eating raw is often question. Something you already seem to be questioning yourself related to getting adequate protein.

Your bloating sounds very uncomfortable and I am sure you would like to sort it out. Have you thought about trying a eliminate style diet to try and find exactly what is causing it? Wheat and soya I would guess are the first thing to try.
You say other people also have this side effect, do you have any details as to what causes it, maybe it is not related to diet at all?
baldy
Site Admin

Postby JP » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:24 am

many people get the bloating belly from glutein, rice, potatoes and so on, a form of IBS? i am not qualified to say, and i think the variations are many.

so if you go raw and then dont get the bloat, you may think its the raw, but its actually rather just excluding the things which cause you the bloating, not the cooking thing.

hey, people can eat what they want (hope its vegan) but behind the jokes about the raw food there is a serious issue of making veganism more fringe.
JP
Site Admin

Postby Lordmuppet » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:37 am

Hi,

I had serious problems with my stomach in the past and successfully ran an elimination diet. So let me know if I can help. For me it turned out to be caffeine that was the culprit.

I should mention that I don't believe in any of these places that claim to be able to test for sensitivities/intolerances. From my research it all looks quite quacky. I do, however, believe that intolerances/sensitivities are real.

For me I cut out soy, gluten, peanut butter, caffeine and some other stuff i think (trying to remember ...). You do that for six weeks or so see if the symptoms go away and then you have, for example, a peanut butter sandwich and wait two more days (during which you don't eat more peanut butter) and you see if the symptoms come back in those three days (it won't always be immediately after eating the thing which is why the three days). If that isn't the culprit then you start eating it again but follow the same protocol with something else like gluten.

Obviously I am not a qualified doctor etc etc and you DO need to be careful to watch out and not get malnourished on an elimination diet.

p.s. in the shortterm try some peppermint tea and some plain food (e.g. a plain oatcake) in the morning. Peppermint has always been great at calming my stomach down and for some reason the added nibble of food gets any stuff lying around the stomach, intestines to move on its merry way :)
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby tal » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:14 am

I don't think an elimiation diet is really the solution. The OP has already mentioned that it is the medication which is primarily causing the bloating.

I do wonder though at some of the reasons you have given for wanting to move to raw food. If you think your body is 'screaming out for nutrients', then just eat food that has nutrients in it. Simple. Raw food does not equal more nutrients. Raw food does however equal less choices and more negative social impact. And as I have noticed over the last few years you've posted a few mildly concerning posts about problems with food and weight management, I do genuinely think it is a bad idea that you restrict yourself further when there is absolutely no logical reason to do so.

But if you were to insist on doing it, the biggest problem you are going to have on a raw food diet is getting enough calories. This is probably the main reason why it doesn't work for most people. Protein is going to be low but depending on your activity level it probably won't be too much of an issue. No reason why you can't have some regular vegan protein sources though is there?

Also you need to consider that if you are prone to bloating, is moving to a raw food diet that is likely to have a massive amount of fibre a day a good idea?
tal

Postby Lordmuppet » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:30 am

[quote="Talyn"]I don't think an elimiation diet is really the solution. The OP has already mentioned that it is the medication which is primarily causing the bloating.

Oh okay yeah fair enough. I was in a hurry (too swamped to even write training log just now) and didn't read closely. I reread and yeah i agree no need for elimination diet if you know the medication is the source of the bloating. Elimination diets should always be a last resort I think.

Should still try peppermint tea or capsules (the capsules are stronger) in the morning though as that might help (this is a separate point from elimination diet)
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby mouche » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:20 pm

Hmm I think the fear on this forum about raw diets making veganism look more fringe is getting increasingly close to making veganism look more antisocial.

Bounce:
- as the others have said, figure out what your meds are doing to you, speak to your doctor maybe?
- if/when you decide it's not the meds, try an elimination diet as Lordmuppet suggested: things that tend to make me feel bloated are broccoli (especially if steamed rather than sautéed for some reason), lentils, dried fruit and especially when they contain sulphur dioxide or whatever the preservative is, and protein powders or various kinds when taken in large quantities and around mealtimes.
- worth noting that IBS and similar symptoms have been linked to stress - if you are not happy with the way you look, perhaps the stress around this is aggravating the condition?
- a raw diet won't offer solutions to any specific problems, but if you feel better eating more raw food, go ahead. I know a few people who love it and seem to thrive on it. It's not for me but we're all here to lead happy and healthy lives. Note that in terms of nutrition, certain foods actually provide more nutrients when cooked (certain greens, for example), so if you do fancy cooked food don't feel it is inferior. Also cooked food is often more digestible so maybe increasing raw food content is counterproductive - again though, it's about how you feel.
- it would be really hard for you to consume less than a recommended amount of protein - however, if you are trying to lose weight, it may help to take on a higher protein diet, to help preserve lean muscle mass while you lose weight, and to help regulate appetite.

Those are just my thoughts. Let us know how you get on :)
mouche

Postby Bounce » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:26 pm

I posted ages ago about losing weight and I did drop a lot... I never really had digestive problems before the medication (I take for bipolar disorder) and if you look it up, it has a reputation for really bad bloating and weight gain.... I think the issue may be gluten and will try different meals and see if there's any difference. I don't know if medication can make somebody intolerant to something?

Spoke to Dr and he just said that it was calories and lifestyle, not meds which cause weight gain.

This time I am struggling to lose weight and whilst a lot of people on my meds apparently do, I refuse to believe that it can't be achieved.

By going high raw, I'm not going to be one of those people who won't eat anything cooked, like ever and become a social pariah or mega preachy... I just want to try it, see if I like it and take what I can from it. I understand it can be restrictive (and will probably be a bit expensive) long term...
Bounce

Next

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating