What are your thoughts on honey?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: What are your thoughts on honey?

Postby kallefs » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:43 pm

[quote="Adena"]That does not sound nearly as difficult as I was imagining! I mean, my entire kitchen would look like a bloodbath, but we've all been there before, am I right?

:mrgreen:
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby Cade » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:11 am

Honey is an "animal" by product. Also, with the current problem of "colony collapse disorder" is it ethical to even use honey and stress the remaining bee population even more?
Cade

Postby xrodolfox » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:05 am

Ooooh!
Michigan sugar is beet sugar. They have a huge plant about 2hrs away. The whole town smells sugary and beety. It's weird/nice. But then again, we also have maple syrup.

I buy both beet sugar and maple syrup. There is no way in making that at home.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby MH1896 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:36 am

i had some honey and chocolate spread sitting on the shelf for a while after i went vegan. i thought i would just use it up at first but then i couldn't bring myself to do it (never ate much of it anyway), so i just gave it to my mum. win-win situation as was mentioned before :)
i was offered some really beautiful looking and -smelling mangohoney the other day by this nicaraguan farmer and i had to wrestle my desire pretty hard, to not just give in and try it and be polite. then another guy from our group accepted, so the politenessissue was out of the way and to overcome that craving is not that hard :) i'm pretty certain that these people produce (most anything) on such a small scale that the mistreatment/farming of animals is the smallest issue a vegan can take with animal products here, but it's not only about that now, is it? but hey, i'm preaching to the choir....

edit: not saying they're treating animals with much respect, though. cattledrivers ride halfstarved horses and use long rods or sticks to whip the cows, pigs and piglets are moved around on caged carts or with legs bound together, meager stray dogs get an occasional kick.....
MH1896

Postby skoptic » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:39 pm

Honey is the one thing that my non vegan friends find most difficult to understand ... but to my mind its not vegan, and once I ask my mates if they want their dinner replaced with sugar water, they tend to appreciate the position a bit more!

I don't think boosting immune system is a good reason, that's human focused, and I kinda think the central tenet to vegan thinking is being animal focused instead.

Surprised like Baldy said that the group thinking didn't get more militant!
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby Knight of Albion » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:44 pm

Honey = Exploitation. They work so hard to produce their honey...then a human comes along and takes it away!

(Source: York County Beekeeper's Association)

How many bees in a hive?
50,000 or more.

How many flowers must a bee tap to make one pound (454 g) of honey?
Two million.

How far does a hive of bees fly to bring you one pound (454 g) of honey?
Over 55,000 miles.

It takes 10,000 worker bees to gather a pound of honey.
All this talk of religion but it's how you live your life that is the all-important thing.
If you set out each day to do all the goodness and kindness that you can and to do no harm to man or beast, then you are walking the highest path.
And when your time is up, if you can leave the earth a better place than you found it, then yours will have been a life well lived.
http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Knight of Albion

Postby Imogen » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:47 pm

On honey: it's very simple - honey is not vegan.

In case anyone might need reminding, bees and other insects are indeed animals!

In the original coining of the word 'vegan' and the original manifesto of the Vegan Society in 1944 it is explicitly stated that honey is not vegan:

[quote]The Aims of The Vegan Society are: 1) To advocate that man's food should be derived from fruits, nuts, vegetables, grains and other wholesome non-animal products and that it should exclude flesh, fish, fowl, eggs, honey and animals' milk, butter, and cheese. 2) To encourage the manufacture and use of alternatives to animal commodities.
Imogen

Postby loveliberate » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:57 pm

As an aside, I'd love to meet and hang out with folks who've been Vegan since the 40s!!
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby Adena » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:39 am

[quote="loveliberate"]As an aside, I'd love to meet and hang out with folks who've been Vegan since the 40s!!

That would be awesome!
Adena

Previous

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating