[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
• View topic - Eating for Optimal Digestion

Eating for Optimal Digestion

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Eating for Optimal Digestion

Postby lduncan88 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:30 am

The latest video on my channel.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLek3SvvCXI[/youtube]

Let me know what you guys think.
lduncan88

Re: Eating for Optimal Digestion

Postby baldy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:36 am

[quote="lduncan88"]

The video is well put together, I dunno about the ideas, would be interested to read any references you have.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby lduncan88 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:36 pm

[quote="baldy"][quote="lduncan88"]

The video is well put together, I dunno about the ideas, would be interested to read any references you have.

Thanks. Any in particular you're interested in?
lduncan88

Postby baldy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:33 am

lduncan88 these kinds of topics can always kick off, so please don't take as personal criticism. Lots of people on VF are armchair sports nutritionists, keen to have a lively debate.

[quote]hydrated drink plenty of water

This is always a hot topic in the forum. :twisted:
For sure you don't want to be dehydrated, but equally lots of damage to be done from drinking too much water.
With regards to hydration, why does it need to be water and not tea, coffee, juice etc etc?

[quote]monomeals - enzymes

This seems like a very raw food kind of concept, so lets talk about enzymes. Sure during digestion the body uses enzymes to break down food, why is it better if the food it only one type?
Where is the stress in your body releasing a number of different enzymes? My knowledge of digestion is limited, but from my understanding as food moves through the digestive tract different enzymes break down nutrients, doesn't seem very stressful.

[quote]eating order

Never heard of this idea before, any studies to back it up?

[quote]invasive process foods causing white blood cells

Really interesting, do you have any references to specific processed foods that cause this?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby lduncan88 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:32 pm

[quote]lduncan88 these kinds of topics can always kick off, so please don't take as personal criticism. Lots of people on VF are armchair sports nutritionists, keen to have a lively debate.

No problem. It's just an armchair discussion as far as I'm concerned.

[quote][quote]hydrated drink plenty of water

This is always a hot topic in the forum. :twisted:
For sure you don't want to be dehydrated, but equally lots of damage to be done from drinking too much water.
With regards to hydration, why does it need to be water and not tea, coffee, juice etc etc?

One can drink too much water, but from what I've seen, it's very far from being within anyone's practical reach (something like 36 cups in a matter of minutes, saw this figure on National Geographic sometime back). Most people don't drink anywhere near enough to be adequately hydrated, so I think drinking too much is the least of their worries. Coffees & Teas contain caffeine, so I would recommend they be left ancillary to water to not over-stimulate the adrenals & to avoid the diuretic properties. I don't have any real problem with juice, but I think the body does well to have water independent from the other nutrients in juice.

[quote][quote]monomeals - enzymes

This seems like a very raw food kind of concept, so lets talk about enzymes. Sure during digestion the body uses enzymes to break down food, why is it better if the food it only one type?
Where is the stress in your body releasing a number of different enzymes? My knowledge of digestion is limited, but from my understanding as food moves through the digestive tract different enzymes break down nutrients, doesn't seem very stressful.
I was first exposed to the idea from my days eating raw (80/10/10), so I agree with you. I don't really have anything to add to what's been said on it already by such sources. To me, it makes sense that it would be easier to digest one food at a time than a combination. I would recommend this for people with very poor digestion. Individuals with healthy intestines don't need to be too concerned.

[quote][quote]eating order
Never heard of this idea before, any studies to back it up?
No studies. This is just an idea of mine based on observation & experience. Again, I think people with healthy digestive tracts don't have to be too concerned with this.

[quote][quote]invasive process foods causing white blood cells
Really interesting, do you have any references to specific processed foods that cause this?
It appears, based on the following link, that white flour, homogenized foods, pasteurized foods, & foods containing preservatives have the most dramatic effect . Though I would speculate that the more artificial it is, the more likely this response is going to occur.
http://www.rawfoodinfo.com/articles/art ... ooked.html
http://laymansstrength.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/LaymansStrength
lduncan88

Postby Pottsy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:10 pm

Good vid and probably not much there I would disagree with. In terms of eating in order, people could get a bit carried away over-thinking it and I believe there are benefits to be had from the right kind of food combining. eg fats helping nutrients to be absorbed, nuts being more easily digested when combined with fresh veg (again the water factor). I definitely agree about fruits being eaten beforehand and with the exception of bananas (being less watery and acidic) should generally be eaten on an empty stomach. Again this is armchair stuff and nutrition is a not a cut and dry subject with many "experts" having conflicting points of view.
Baldy's right, it is always good to provide references, sources etc to bolster credibility - a few links on the video's page should suffice.

Cheers for the share man!
Pottsy

Postby baldy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:40 am

[quote="Pottsy"]
Baldy's right, it is always good to provide references, sources etc to bolster credibility - a few links on the video's page should suffice.

Maybe I was being too subtle in my reply, I do disagree with most of what is said in the video. However my point was that all the information seems to be very anecdotal but delivered as if it is fact.
baldy
Site Admin

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating