Post-workout nutrition. Advice please...

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Post-workout nutrition. Advice please...

Postby Pottsy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:38 pm

Hello there, I'm new to the forum and happy to be here among conscientious fitness fiends :wink: . My question is about what to eat post-workout and when. There seem to be a few different opinions on this as to whether you should eat something;
high in protein, or
high GI carbs, or
a mix of the two, or
protein 15 minutes post workout then some kind of carbs within an hour, or
just a couple of bananas...

The list could go on. In terms of the type of workout I do mostly 30-45 minute body-weight strength sessions focusing on a particular muscle group each time so my muscles are taking quite a hammering. I'd like to bulk up if possible but at least not lose weight as a result of training.
I try eat natural food *most* of the time so I normally have a smoothie (soaked seeds, some dates and 2 bananas) after stretching and then a big salad with seeds and sprouts and a bit of bread (and not the healthiest bread i admit) about half an hour later.

Any advice will be appreciated :)
Pottsy

Re: Post-workout nutrition. Advice please...

Postby blinki » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:07 pm

Can't say I've ever looked into it properly. My logic is when there's conflicting information try things out and see what works best for you. So I'd suggest making a list of ones that sounds sensible to you, try each for a few weeks, take some notes then go back and decide what works best.

In terms of bulking, the exacts of post work out nutrition don't matter so much as the general what are you eating every day. If you aren't gaining weight eat more. Get a decent amount of protein. And that's all you really have to do to bulk
blinki

Postby Pottsy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:07 pm

Thanks, that's good to hear, couldn't really get my head round that GI business . I guess it's about getting the balance between what seems scientific and not over-thinking it. I do feel good with the smoothie and don't appear to be wasting away so I'll stick with that for now. I probably could up the general food intake somewhat and maybe start experimenting with some pea or hemp protein.

If anyone has a different opinion I'd be interested to hear that too.
Pottsy

Postby hardcore iv » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:33 pm

I don't think there's any real conflict. Most sport/exercise science bodies recommend a mix of protein and carbs post-exercise. http://www.jissn.com/content/5/1/17

[quote]... the universal findings of these studies suggest that adding some combination of CHO (50 – 75 g) to a PRO source (20 – 75 g) while completing heavy resistance training facilitates an increase in the development of lean mass and overall improvements in body fat %.

Play around with those numbers maybe and eat more in general with a focus on protein and calorie dense foods.
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby mouche » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:45 pm

As hardcore iv says, there isn't really any conflict among reliable sources.

A small amount of protein before, preferably in the form of BCAAs, and a small amount of protein with some form of easily digested (fairly high GI) carbohydrate (maltodextrin is a good one) within 30mins of training.

Do experiment, especially for quantities and timings, but generally the above has been fairly uncontested for a while. As for not losing weight, make sure you are eating enough calories and you'll be just fine - if in any doubt, get some protein in before bed as then you're pretty sure it won't just get burnt off and disappear overnight. Good luck!
mouche

Postby JP » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:17 pm

personally convenience and speed is also a factor - what ever the ideal combo and so on is.

i neck some protein mixed with meal replacement powder, no idea what the ratios are, just that i am getting some fuel straight after a session in an easily transportable and drinkable form. protein amount probably around 30-40g, but thats just because its the size of my jar and shaker :)
JP
Site Admin

Postby Pottsy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:22 pm

Thanks a lot for the advice there people- that's very helpful.
Haven't really gone in for any protein powders before as I was always of the opinion that your not really missing out on anything if you don't eat animal products. On the other hand many people who work out seem to use some kind of additional drinkable protein. From what i can see looking at vegan ones "warrior blend" looks very good terms of funky raw stuff going on and sounds tasty but is also pretty dear. Hemp also looks pretty healthy especially if "cold pressed" but I heard it's fairly disgusting. Pea sounds good enough but less overall nutritious value. I'll see how I get on anyway -probably going for the cheaper ones knowing me ;)
Pottsy

Postby mouche » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:03 pm

Yes, as you said, it's important to remember that we are not lacking anything because of our vegan diets, but everyone needs convenience and when it comes to protein it's especially important to get a dose of it into you in a short time-frame after a workout. Most of us aren't within reach of home-cooked (or healthy, cheap, vegan) high-protein meals within half an hour of finishing a workout, so shakes are a good option. Most gym-goers and athletes I know take protein shakes and supplements, and most of them aren't vegan (actually none of them that I know personally are).

If you are just starting out, no harm in going cheap and basic! First, you obviously don't want to blow a load of money on something you don't know will benefit you, but secondly, if you try a super-fancy all-singing all-dancing all-in-one, you'll never know what ingredient actually made the main difference.

My advice is start with a basic protein isolate (I would advise finding a flavoured one!), some sort of carbohydrate source, and then work from there - creatine, glutamine, BCAAs, maca, all sorts of things to play with!

Let us know how you get on :)
mouche

Postby Adena » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:20 am

I like to use http://www.truenutrition.com/ for my protein powder because you can either just get all one type of protein in bulk without any additives or flavorings, or you can mix and match. For example, the one I have now is about 50% brown rice protein, 30% hemp protein, and 20% gemma pea protein, or something like that anyway. I can't remember right now. They have a good amount of vegan options.
Adena

Postby JP » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:28 am

hey protein powder has high nutritional value in the target nutrition you are after, protein :D

not everything has to be some kind of funky superfood - now if anything that would make vegan diet sound inadequate if we would need to spend all our time finding superfoods and avoiding anything else (includes most awesome foods as well in this category like ice cream!)
JP
Site Admin

Postby Pottsy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:44 pm

Ha ha. True JP, very true :)

Plus you can always get the extra raw-enzyme-amino-essential fatty this, that and the other from eating plenty of fresh fruit, veg nuts and seeds. Simple as.
:)
Pottsy

Postby TrollGuy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:30 am

As a runner, I learned a couple years ago that chocolate milk is a great substitute for more expensive recovery drinks. Once I started eating vegan, I discovered dark chocolate almond milk and haven't looked back. Now after a hard workout (over 45 minutes), I will have the chocolate milk then within 30 minutes eat a regular meal. Note that if I'm not close to regular meal time, I'll just have a snack, but my workouts are often before breakfast or before dinner.
TrollGuy

Postby JP » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:58 am

chocolate soya milk has been a staple postworkout drink for me for years, great choice :)
JP
Site Admin

Postby knackers » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:39 am

food > protein shakes IMO, a couple of bananas isnt good enough unless they have been dipped in peanut butter and sliced onto a block of tempeh.... 8)

I try to refuel as soon as I get the chance after a workout, typically dont worry about the protein/carb ratios as I naturally eat a lot of high protein foods anyway...more focus on quantity to satisfy appetite and refuel..
“Animals do have a voice. If you ignore their suffering, I will remind you of it. If you don't understand them, I will translate. If you don't hear them, I will be their voice. You may silence them but you cannot silence me as long as I live.” ~ Anita Mahdessian (C
knackers

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating