Freezing Fresh Vegetables

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Freezing Fresh Vegetables

Postby jamesndawson » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:50 pm

I've read kale's very nutritious, so I've been eating it often for the last year or so. I usually steam it. But it seems to get light/old pretty quickly, so I was thinking of cutting it up and putting it in the freezer, taking it out as needed. I can't see why this would be a problem. I do it with fresh blueberries. But just to be on the safe side, I thought I'd ask about it. Is it an okay idea? Any problems, caveats at all about it?
I wonder why they don't sell kale frozen, like they do spinach & other greens. Is kale best eaten cooked or raw? I suppose there'd be advantages to both.
James
jamesndawson

Re: Freezing Fresh Vegetables

Postby loveliberate » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:33 am

I just saw frozen kale for the first time that I can remember. I am pretty sure some folks in Sweden mentioned having frozen kale in the stores there. I suspect that it is just not yet eaten commonly enough for it to be commonly available frozen...
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Re: Freezing Fresh Vegetables

Postby Koa » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:41 am

Luckily the Dutch are nuts about kale and you can buy it frozen here in unlimited quantities. We eat it raw and cooked.
Squat - 170kg
DL - 200kg
BP - 110kg
OHP - 75kg

"How can you run when you know" -Neil Young
Koa

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating