Monosodium Glutamate

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Monosodium Glutamate

Postby jamesndawson » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:13 pm

I read the Wikipedia article on MSG and the "Talk" pages. There was a protracted and heated debate between the pro and con factions. Those that claimed there was no scientific evidence that MSG was harmful seemed to present themselves as strict adherence of "hard science". I guess by default, those who were anti-MSG may have been on the "alternative science" side, but maybe it was a little more complicated than that.
I come across a lot of vegan food at the Asian store I shop at that looks tasty. Even though I've strictly shunned MSG in the past, thinking the case for its unhealthfulness was pretty much established, I have broken down and bought some and enjoyed it. (Ramen noodles for one, vegan of course.)
Do any of you, especially those of you who consider yourself anti-"pseudo-science" see the so-called dangers of MSG as unproven? Or do you think there's hard scientific evidence that it's as harmful as its critics claim it is.
For those who think the ill-effects of MSG is unproven, do you yourself partake of it, or do you avoid it, just to be on the safe side, or any other reason.
James
jamesndawson

Re: Monosodium Glutamate

Postby silver » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:47 pm

Personally, I just think it's vile.
I don't touch the stuff.
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk

Strava-https://www.strava.com/athletes/2077466
silver
User Activation Admin

Postby hardcore iv » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:05 pm

read this http://jacknorrisrd.com/?p=3302 MSG is fine.
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby tal » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:09 pm

I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I don't eat a lot of food that normally contains it, but when I do it doesn't bother me.

Unless you have some kind of allergic reaction to it, there is no reason not to eat it.
tal

Postby mouche » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:18 pm

I don't think it's any worse for us than salt... and I eat both. So yeah, not good for us but unless you have any particular reason to avoid it then I would say not to worry about it.

Though I guess that doesn't really answer your question as you're looking for rational people who are against MSG... and I am neither of those things :)
mouche

Postby beforewisdom » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:28 pm

I found this short and interesting article about MSG ( includes a fascinating bit about the history of MSG ) a few years ago. It questions the belief that MSG is an evil ban-worthy food, implying instead it is just bad for some people

If MSG is so bad for you, why doesn’t everyone in Asia have a headache?
beforewisdom

Postby jamesndawson » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:57 am

Thanks everybody. There've been a few things I really wanted to try. Now I can do that without worry. I really enjoy a bowl of Noodle Ramen now and then.
James
jamesndawson

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating