My January low carb diet/cutting plan

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: My January low carb diet/cutting plan

Postby baldy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:10 pm

[quote="^toby^"]I wonder what can you eat for mains for vegan paleo diet?

Yeah, no idea. From my research Paleo is not really possible with a vegan diet and the rules don't make much sense, ie you can eat sweet potatoes but not normal potatoes.

[quote="Talyn"][quote="baldy"]The bodyfat calipers are being ordered, IF being read up on, leangains 16/8 is looking good.

What is your maintenance calories / how much will you be eating under this figure?

Played around with a spreadsheet last night. Rough plan is to follow 2000 calorie diet for first week roughly 33/33/33 ratio of fats, carbs and protein. Just over 100g of protein a day, could be higher might add another shake actually. Apparently carbs below 130g makes it a low carb diet. At the same time will do the Lean Gains intermittent fast, so only eat in a 8 hour window.

After the first week, if I am still alive will probably just stick to the IF and clean up diet take out sugar/refined carbs for the rest of the month or until I reach 94kg.

[quote="KaliBaby"][quote="hardcore iv"]Screw that. Keep bulking. You just need to surround yourself with successful bulkers for a week or so and you will see the bulking light. 105kg for the animals!

So far this looks like the best advice :twisted:

Solid advice if the bulking was working, been stuck at 100kg for a year now. Can live with being massive or being cutted at the moment I am stuck in the middle ground of chubbiness, plus its mid winter so no tan.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby ninearms » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:06 pm

“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby tal » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:09 pm

[quote="baldy"]Played around with a spreadsheet last night. Rough plan is to follow 2000 calorie diet for first week roughly 33/33/33 ratio of fats, carbs and protein. Just over 100g of protein a day, could be higher might add another shake actually. Apparently carbs below 130g makes it a low carb diet. At the same time will do the Lean Gains intermittent fast, so only eat in a 8 hour window.

That's all good and well, but what is your maintenance amount?

:shock: 2000 is a bit low for you I'd think. At just under 100kg and active, surely you could cut on around 3000 per day?
tal

Postby JP » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:59 pm

are you 96kg yet?
JP
Site Admin

Postby loveliberate » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:47 pm

How about now? :)
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby baldy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:50 pm

[quote="JP"]are you 96kg yet?

:lol: I was actually worried that all this talk about diets would have had enough placebo to drop a few kg's, jumped on a scale yesterday after dinner and was still 100kg on the button.

[quote="Talyn"]
:shock: 2000 is a bit low for you I'd think. At just under 100kg and active, surely you could cut on around 3000 per day?

I could bulk on 3000!
Guestamate is about 2000 calories for first week and then 2500 after that, but really who knows, will just eat different stuff and see what happens.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby seasiren » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:16 pm

[quote="ninearms"]http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

You can thank me later.

I will thank you now :)

I just started IF, and thus far love it. I was never a fan of breakfast and have no problem whatsoever holding out until my eating window. For me it works well as I feel full and prefer the timing. My old way of eating every 2-3 hrs left me ravenous which was no fun.
seasiren

Postby wannalift » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:54 pm

Losing what we in the states call 17.5 lbs of fat is no small task. I agree with others that simply cleaning up your diet will make the biggest impact. As far as "low-carb", going down to 130 g is not necessary and will only produce temporal results. That's only 26% of a 2000 calorie diet and 21% of a 2500 calorie diet. Since you weren't keeping track before, I suspect your diet was probably 65% or more carbs. Just try to cut that down to 35% or 40% for starters. You'll see great results at that level and shouldn't have to go any lower. I'm curious to see how your results go with IF. There is a good, free e-book on it here: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting. Good luck!
Are you doing enough to be the best?
wannalift

Postby baldy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:10 am

The diet has begin, 97.8kg cold morning weight naked in the kitchen. Calipers based on 4 sites measures about 25% bodyfat giving lean body mass 73kg.
Coffee with no sugar is a little bit of a shock.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby JP » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:27 pm

96 come sunday, 94 in 10 days :)
JP
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:25 am

[quote="JP"]96 come sunday, 94 in 10 days :)

Diet guru! Had a sneaky weigh in today and yes I am 96.8kg, so 1kg down in 4 days, easy!
baldy
Site Admin

Postby JP » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:36 pm

when you are at 94, might be a suprise how little difference it all makes :) you might see a little bit of a difference in shape, but really would hammer the bodybuilding style training now too to get the lats and shoulders out - if nothing else it makes you feel better about the weight and strength loss :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:51 am

[quote="JP"]when you are at 94, might be a suprise how little difference it all makes :) you might see a little bit of a difference in shape, but really would hammer the bodybuilding style training now too to get the lats and shoulders out - if nothing else it makes you feel better about the weight and strength loss :D

Yeah hence the chin ups, nail the biceps and lats every session.

Week 1 check in.
=============
First week, been fairly strict eating about 2000 calories, macros work out carbs 100, fat 120 and protein 120.
Intermittent fast only eating between 1-9pm.
Down from 97.8kg to 96.8kg, 1kg lost. Was expecting to have lost more, specially considering how shit I felt, I guess its the low carbs making me head feel foggy?
Gym is going fine, no major gains but no significant drop off of strength or endurance.

This week going to keep the intermittent fasting and get more carbs but still stay away from the big carbs stuff. So in effect keeping calories low but protein high, not that 120g of protein is particularly high.

Actually very interesting trying to cook means with out potatoes, rice, bread or pasta. Kind of enjoying the process and defiantly eating more protein than I typically would.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby JP » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:26 pm

wow, that is a low amount of protein man, dont know how you can do that even if you try...
JP
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:52 pm

[quote="JP"]wow, that is a low amount of protein man, dont know how you can do that even if you try...

It sounds low, but I would struggle to get more protein in without adding a few shakes I suppose.
With normal eating I might get that or more protein but purely through bulk of food rather than protein source. Am I the typical where do you get your protein from vegan?
Meal plans of higher protein would be interesting, this is the meal plan I sucked out of my thumb that I was trying to follow.

Lunch: 200g Tofu, 100g sweetcorn, 25g olive oil
Snack: 50g nuts
Breakfast: 30g protein 15g flaxseeds
Snack: apple, 30g peanut butter
Supper: 200g fake meat (linda mc Sausages), 200g brocolli, 25g olive oil.

Which worked out to about 2000 calories, 101g carbs, 125.8g fat, 112.5g protein unless my calculations are very wrong.

As I lost 1kg this week, I guess the amount of calories (2000) is ok for me to cut. Could lower the fat and up the carbs and proteins.
baldy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating