Smoothie combination.

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Smoothie combination.

Postby tomforster » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:38 pm

Evening all,

I made my first vegan smoothie..ever yesterday after struggling to down a protein shake the day before. i was wondering what i could add to it to make it more beneficial but also fairly cheap as i buy these ingrediants anyway. it had

2 spoons hemp chocolate protein
2 bananas
2 tbsp raspberry ice cream
2 tbsp chocolate ice cream
loads of soy milk
half an avacado
250 ml strawberry soy milk.

tomforster

Re: Smoothie combination.

Postby xJimx » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:13 pm

The key with protein shakes is to accept they're never going to taste great & just drink them quickly.

Case in point, if I gently sip my usual PWO combination of unflavoured pea protein, cocoa, dextrose & water I want to vomit; if I nail the whole thing in one go it's fine.
DYEL
xJimx

Postby mouche » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:51 pm

[quote="tomforster"]Evening all,

I made my first vegan smoothie..ever yesterday after struggling to down a protein shake the day before. i was wondering what i could add to it to make it more beneficial but also fairly cheap as i buy these ingrediants anyway. it had

2 spoons hemp chocolate protein
2 bananas
2 tbsp raspberry ice cream
2 tbsp chocolate ice cream
loads of soy milk
half an avacado
250 ml strawberry soy milk.

How is that even liquid?! Sounds delicious though!

Personally I would ditch one of the bananas and have some other sort of fruit instead, just to vary the nutrients. You could also add some nuts and/or seeds, or some coconut milk. In all honesty though if it tastes good and you feel good and eat well the rest of the day then I don't see why you should need to change your shake...
mouche

Postby baldy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:42 am

2 kinds of ice cream, sounds amazing. I would drop the avocado, make it really nice like a milkshake, the at the avo later in a dip, maybe with some chips.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby tomforster » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:32 am

thanks for the replies!

i see your point about protein shakes, but i can put the same amount of protein mix in these smoothies and it tastes great in comparison :)

I've just bought a vanilla ice cream too so i could make a really heavenly combo here! Trying to increase caloric intake.

what would you suggest as an alternative for bananas?

cheers!
tomforster

Postby baldy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:09 am

[quote="tomforster"]

More ice cream?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby tomforster » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:46 am

[quote="baldy"][quote="tomforster"]

More ice cream?

I like you sir!!
tomforster

Postby mouche » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:23 pm

Haha amazing!

If you didn't actually want to go with more ice cream though, well I can't think of anything that would replicate the texture of banana but to me it looks like you have more than enough thick, creamy ingredients. In terms of boosting the nutritional value (which I'm not implying you need to do, but you asked for recommendations to make it more beneficial) then I would go with some sort of berry or soft fruit to add juice and vitamins - maybe something like mango, strawberry, or papaya because they blend well and are full of good things. However they wouldn't go so well with chocolate protein powder or chocolate ice cream...

Otherwise, if you want to stick with the creamy thickshake idea, and are looking to boost fat and calories, then I would go with ground flax, coconut milk, cashews or peanut/almond butter.

It just depends what you're after when you say you want to make your shake "more beneficial" really!
mouche

Postby knackers » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:59 am

man, what a flavour bomb you have there, chocolate/raspberry/strawberry/chocolate again.. haha
One thing you could do is throw a nice big handful of salad mix or spinach in, you wouldn't even taste it with all the other stuff
“Animals do have a voice. If you ignore their suffering, I will remind you of it. If you don't understand them, I will translate. If you don't hear them, I will be their voice. You may silence them but you cannot silence me as long as I live.” ~ Anita Mahdessian (C
knackers

Postby tomforster » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:10 am

I'm glad you all approve :D

i was in a rush this morning so it was a combo of strawberry and banana innocent smoothie, vanilla ice cream and protein powder shaken up in my protein mixer. nailed it. delicious. strawberry and chocolate go surprisingly well together!

I've considered adding greens to it, but i tend to eat mainly veg on a night so i figured it's a nice way to eat fruit and get an added protein and calorie boost.

Quick question, am i good to drink smoothies most days? people have told me there's too much sugar :(
tomforster

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating