Stir frying

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Stir frying

Postby Konstantin » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:33 pm

What the hell do you put in your stir fry?

I've been eating loads of stir fries recently. Common ingredients are: tempeh, chick peas, spinach, tomatoes, adzuki beans, green lentils, onion, paprika, curry powder, broccoli.

Anyone else?
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Re: Stir frying

Postby baldy » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:30 pm

Chickpeas in a stirfry :shock: :? even adding tomatoes would feel like breaking the rules.

You are missing tofu! Other ingredients that take a stir fry to the next level include nuts (cashew or peanuts), bamboo shoots, sesame seeds, ginger and using sesame seed oil.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby blinki » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:07 pm

Burgers or sausages cut into strips
Baby corn and those pea things that come in a pack with them
Green pepper
Sprouts
Onion
Carrot
Thai peanut butter sauce
blinki

Postby Hiking Fox » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:23 pm

[quote="Konstantin"] Common ingredients are: ...chick peas, spinach, tomatoes, adzuki beans, green lentils, ...

I've never put any of those in.

I use spring onions, carrot and aubergine batons, broccoli, plus for protein tofu or tempeh or mock duck or cashew nuts. Ginger and soy sauce for flavour. I sometimes make a tahini, orange juice and soy sauce dipping sauce to go with it.
Hiking Fox

Postby sergio » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:16 pm

Sliced black olives are awesome, specially with nuts or sesame seeds and if you're doing a fast/high temperature one.

And sometimes mustard, but I'm awful with seasonings. You can't make a good stir-fry without a proper seasoning :(
I accidentally replaced all of my blood with coffee.
sergio

Postby ninearms » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:40 pm

Essentials: tofu, birds eye chillies, garlic, "oyster" sauce, light soy sauce, red onion, tons of fresh basil. Fresh green peppercorns make a nice bonus addition.

Generally only 1 or 2 vegetables otherwise the flavours get too muddled, typically green beans or mushrooms. Usually finished off with either peanuts or cashews, roasted and salted, plus more fresh basil.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby sergio » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:52 pm

I forgot: BOK CHOY.

Mushrooms / peppers / onion are the holy trinity of stir frying. You just need to have one at least or everything will go wrong.

I've never used ginger, but I will.
sergio

Postby mouche » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:29 pm

Normally tofu/tempeh, usually 2 or 3 vegetables (broccoli/pak choi/mushrooms, preferably shiitake, otherwise oyster or chestnut at a push/peppers/cherry tomatoes or thinly sliced carrots if I'm trying to get rid of them), fresh ginger, fresh chili, fresh garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, and cashews if I have them lying around. Have been known to drizzle some almond butter on top, worked surprisingly well although I feel dirty for doing it.
mouche

Postby Adena » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:24 pm

My favorites are tofu, onions, broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, bok choi, and lately I've been making a homemade spicy peanut sauce. I usually just use whatever veggies need to be used up, though!
Adena

Postby Konstantin » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:52 pm

Interesting contributions, we are building the ultimate virtual stir fry in this thread. Yes to peppers and mushrooms, and I think olives should get a try out.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby baldy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:11 pm

[quote="Konstantin"] I think olives should get a try out.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I am a bit of a stir fry purist, Asian fusion is ok, but when you start mixing Mediterranean ingredients in with Asian food when will it stop?
Next people will be adding baked beans to stir fried pasta!
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby sergio » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:29 pm

[quote="baldy"][quote="Konstantin"] I think olives should get a try out.

I am a bit of a stir fry purist, Asian fusion is ok, but when you start mixing Mediterranean ingredients in with Asian food when will it stop?

hahaha you're right, I guess my problem is that I don't see stir fry as an asian meal, just something I do with a pan and vegetables. I'm an iconoclast 8) -not enough to mix bamboo with olives or so-

[quote="Adena"]a homemade spicy peanut sauce

Sounds thrilling!
sergio

Postby Adena » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:39 pm

[quote="sergio"][quote="baldy"][quote="Konstantin"] I think olives should get a try out.

hahaha you're right, I guess my problem is that I don't see stir fry as an asian meal, just something I do with a pan and vegetables. I'm an iconoclast 8) -not enough to mix bamboo with olives or so-

[quote="Adena"]a homemade spicy peanut sauce

Sounds thrilling!

It's my favorite. :) It's really just the sauce recipe from the Ethiopian Seitan and Peppers from Vegan With a Vengeance, though. :oops:
Adena

Postby Konstantin » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:53 am

[quote="baldy"][quote="Konstantin"] I think olives should get a try out.

I had no idea we were such polar stir fry opposites. Chick peas in stir fries makes perfect sense to me, and the other thing about stir fries is there are no rules. Baked beans actually sounds like a reasonable experiment to me.

Just don't be the man who lies on his death bed aged 121 wondering, where the boundaries with stir fries are. Take them as far as you want when you want. And that may just be as far as they will go.
Konstantin

Postby baldy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:22 am

[quote="Konstantin"]

Just don't be the man who lies on his death bed aged 121 wondering, where the boundaries with stir fries are. Take them as far as you want when you want. And that may just be as far as they will go.

I do occasionally lay awake at night wondering how baked beans would taste with spaghetti. :|
baldy
Site Admin

Next

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating