Triathlon Meal plan

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Triathlon Meal plan

Postby tomforster » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:59 am

Good morning all :)

Next weekend i will be doing a small triathlon, i'm pretty prepared, but the food i eat is pretty dirty, i'd like to have quite a clean meal plan for the week leading up to it, does anybody have any ideas what I could eat to prepare me best for it?
tomforster

Re: Triathlon Meal plan

Postby rattus » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:08 am

Chips, beer and half a bottle of Jacky Dee's was good for me (but I always came last).
rattus

Postby tomforster » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:11 am

[quote="rattus"]Chips, beer and half a bottle of Jacky Dee's was good for me (but I always came last).

are you psychic!?? That is literally my staple diet! hahaha, thought i'd try a bit of variation and to clean up for this though!
tomforster

Postby rattus » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:46 pm

Ha ha ha!!!! :D

Perhaps stick with what you've got but give the Jacky Dees a miss the night before!!!!

What distances is the tri and is it pool based?
rattus

Postby tomforster » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:04 pm

[quote="rattus"]Ha ha ha!!!! :D

Perhaps stick with what you've got but give the Jacky Dees a miss the night before!!!!

What distances is the tri and is it pool based?

Definitely JD the night after though yeah?? :D

Not sure about the distance of the swim but its 16 lengths, 21k bike ride and then a 5k sprint. it might not sound a lot to some people but i am gonna die doing this hahaha
tomforster

Postby xrodolfox » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:53 pm

I eat a lot of fresh raw greens and salads leading up to races.

However, the week leading up to the race isn't as important as the month before. You can't really go wrong the week before.

The night before it is just best to stick to a routine. Some folks don't eat, and that works for them. I eat a lot the night before abs then a oatmeal breakfast 3 hours before the race.
That's my routine.
You have to find your own.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby ColleenE » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:37 pm

I think after the triathlon would be the best time to start changing your diet, but the week before might be risky experimenting too much. I would recommend eating a moderate amount of foods that will give you energy that day (But not too much, you're doing a sprint, not an Ironman). So sweet potatoes, oatmeal, white potatoes, squash, brown rice, quinoa, amaranth. Since you're not used to lots of veg I would not recommend eating too much fibrous stuff this week. Have the above with some lean protein.
Sample day:
Brkfst: oatmeal with almond milk and banana
Lunch: Baked potato with stir-fried tofu
Snack: almonds or walnuts, fresh fruit
Dinner: Quinoa with blackbeans and roasted squash drizzled with olive oil.
ColleenE

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating