30 non vegan bananas a day?!

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

30 non vegan bananas a day?!

Postby ColleenE » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:32 pm

It looks like bananas might not all be vegan anymore. Yikes!

http://www.shape.com/blogs/shape-your-l ... an-anymore
ColleenE

Re: 30 non vegan bananas a day?!

Postby baldy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:01 am

I have a bad shellfish allergy, so yet another reason to avoid bananas.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Konstantin » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:47 pm

Is some fruit sprayed with Shellac to make it look shiny already? How screwed up is that when a simple, healthy, convenient food like fruit is arsed about with like this. Disgruntled.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby blinki » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:25 pm

What a fucking weird thing to do. I see how extra shelf life appeals to them but given the allergy issue it doesn't seem very sensible. Not that I care really because I'm my stomach doesn't react well to bananas.
blinki

Postby mouche » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:40 pm

Why can't people just embrace over-ripe bananas as an excuse to make banana bread?! :roll:
mouche

Postby Adena » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:49 pm

[quote="mouche"]Why can't people just embrace over-ripe bananas as an excuse to make banana bread?! :roll:

+1
Adena

Postby Goob » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:38 pm

[quote]"This is big," fitness and nutrition expert JJ Virgin says. "However, the banana wouldn't necessarily become non-vegan—it depends on the person. Some vegans eschew any products that contain animal parts at all, including things like purses and shoes, and others don't." Since the spray would most likely have to permeate the peel in order to kill the bacteria in the banana, vegans may have to start avoiding the popular fruit.

Google knows what vegans are, so why can't even 1 "expert" look this shit up before they start talking about it?

Also, what kind of person needs excuses to make banana bread? It's PERFECT for peanut butter sandwiches. Well, not entirely perfect, it's difficult to spread the peanut butter without destroying it, but very tasty :mrgreen:
[quote="Mikhail Koklyaev"]Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby Alistar » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:38 am

[quote]But you don't have to panic just yet! Currently, the coating is not available in stores. According to Science Daily, Li's research team is hoping to replace one of the ingredients in the spray, so it may be a while before this becomes a reality.

Still vegan for now :)

Anyway hopefully won't take on with the organic/Fairtrade banana's I only buy.
Alistar

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:24 am

I don't even understand why this is needed. My main problem with bananas is that they are too green in the stores and I have to wait ages to be able to eat them. I don't want them to stay un-ripe even longer!
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby Ombah » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:45 am

[quote="FormicaLinoleum"]I don't even understand why this is needed. My main problem with bananas is that they are too green in the stores and I have to wait ages to be able to eat them. I don't want them to stay un-ripe even longer!

Same here...
Ombah

Postby knackers » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:35 am

Waste of time science that is ridiculous and not needed, they are always green at the wholesale markets, they even come packed in plastic in the boxes straight from the grower in order too help ripen them up quicker. For the shop keepers that want to keep there bananas longer than the ample time they have from green to spotty yellow as it is, might want to look into selling something else.

In Australia we have safeway the "fresh food" people, would be ironic if they had these crusty long life bananas on there shelves.
“Animals do have a voice. If you ignore their suffering, I will remind you of it. If you don't understand them, I will translate. If you don't hear them, I will be their voice. You may silence them but you cannot silence me as long as I live.” ~ Anita Mahdessian (C
knackers

Postby pseudoprometheus » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:46 am

Since the reason for using chitosin was because of its antimicrobial properties, it's possible that commercial applications will end up using a different substance and that this was more of a proof of concept. Hopefully that ends up being the case.

If not, there's still the somewhat-reassuring fact that the shells used to produce chitosin are primarily a waste product of the seafood industry, so chitosin use alone wouldn't prop up the seafood industry in the absence of demand for seafood, and would likely be phased out if fishing declines.

Though it does seem odd that they wouldn't hesitate to add a shellfish allergen to something normally benign like bananas. Unless like I said before, it was just be a proof of concept.
... wait, what?
pseudoprometheus

Postby ratfan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:55 pm

Buy organic nanas (and other fruit), no chemicals at all to worry about then.
ratfan

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating