Another fad?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Another fad?

Postby etherspin » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:54 am

well if dukan is in fact a permutation of keto then that is why it works,rather than caloric restriction or similarity to diets that are so restrictive they make food inconvenient to come by - ketosis may have been observed to help with epilepsy but it wasn't created and in the case of epilepsy (I have a student who has done a keto variant for this reason) its supplemented with heavy portions of cream and other high fat stuff - I presume to prevent weightloss (because it isnt the goal) but ketosis is a state our body is capable of functioning in, I think the bigger question is whether it has evolved only as a survival technique or is a viable alternative to directly ingesting significant portions of carbs/sugars.
It seems rich to me for us to rely on government recommendations or an arbitrary notion of what a balanced diet is when these are prime arguments used to shoot down veganism.
etherspin

Postby Nikko » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:49 am

Wow, thanks for the replies. I'm Definitely learning here.

I've never heard of Ketogenics. Like I said- all of these "diets" are completely new to me having had no experience with nutrition/weight issues myself I've had no reason to look into dieting. It was only going vegan and then finding an interest in fitness that has exposed me to all of this.

I will say however that just because veganism is often labeled as unhealthy (something most of us on this forum find ultimately untrue) doesn't mean that it can't be said of other diets, particularly when those diets rely heavily on limiting the foods you can include on your plate. The thing about this Dukan diet is (in my opinion) it just seems like people are going to latch onto it because it says - you can eat unhealthy foods so long as you stick to these particular ones. It sounds much easier to most people than actively balancing your diet.

Just my opinion of course.
Nikko

Postby etherspin » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:08 am

[quote="Nikko"]Wow, thanks for the replies. I'm Definitely learning here.

I've never heard of Ketogenics. Like I said- all of these "diets" are completely new to me having had no experience with nutrition/weight issues myself I've had no reason to look into dieting. It was only going vegan and then finding an interest in fitness that has exposed me to all of this.

I will say however that just because veganism is often labeled as unhealthy (something most of us on this forum find ultimately untrue) doesn't mean that it can't be said of other diets, particularly when those diets rely heavily on limiting the foods you can include on your plate. The thing about this Dukan diet is (in my opinion) it just seems like people are going to latch onto it because it says - you can eat unhealthy foods so long as you stick to these particular ones. It sounds much easier to most people than actively balancing your diet.

Just my opinion of course.

Hey Nikko,absolutely agree about all diets being up for review,I just reckon we should be methodical as possible and look at what nutritionally is lacking from the diets and what their mechanisms of action are cause we are forever lauded for how limited our diets are and we still have countries trying to enforce non vegan food on kids or considering taking kids from parents as well as putting out guidelines saying veganism is dangerous.
Im just interested cause Ive tried a vegan version of Tim Ferriss's (douche?) slow carb diet as a temporary measure to undo some damage and know other people who have temporarily done keto to blast fat caused by illness or injury - particularly useful when nursing and injury that makes exercise difficult I would think.
:D
etherspin

Postby Nikko » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:45 am

Hey etherspin, I have never looked at it from that perspective. I guess if it helps with weight loss in times of forced inactivity then there's something I've hereto overlooked.

I guess it just frustrates me that Veganism can be labelled as unhealthy and seen as forcing a belief system on children etc, but it's seems okay promote other (seemingly dangerous) diets as being good for you. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that Veganism unlike Dukkan or Macrobiotics etc, challenges people's ethics as well as their health??
Nikko

Postby etherspin » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:53 am

I agree, my main association with Dukan is women at work talking about how Kate Middleton used it to trim down for the royal wedding so I associate it with short term weight blasting diets as opposed to lifestyle related diets like the vegan diet,lacto ovo veg or perhaps (dont shoot me) paleo.
etherspin

Postby Nikko » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:07 am

The paleo diet can be done vegan as well. I guess it would just be closer to a raw vegan diet. I've read about both Vegan Paleo and Dukan diets on forums around the webs
Nikko

Previous

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating