Another fad?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Another fad?

Postby Nikko » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:48 am

Sorry if this comes off as just another rant but...

I overheard someone today espousing the "Dukan" diet as a miracle weight loss solution. I've done some initial research and it seems to be another celeb promoted quick fix with something like 80% of dieters putting the weight back on after 3 or so years.

It's a really strict diet too, there's only 100 foods you can eat and 72 are from animal sources. What's more is there is little to no fruit involved.

It amazes me the lengths people will go to to change their weight without actually having to do anything.

Is there a facepalm emoticon??
Nikko

Re: Another fad?

Postby Webb » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:08 am

[quote="Nikko"] It amazes me the lengths people will go to to change their weight without actually having to do anything.

Which is why these diets never end up working, because people want results without the effort of working for them and they get burnt out on their diet and revert to their previous or a similar lifestyle.
I find it very difficult to believe that there is any "miracle" diet, and even less so that it would even be healthy.
Webb

Postby Nikko » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:34 am

[quote="Webb"]
Which is why these diets never end up working, because people want results without the effort of working for them and they get burnt out on their diet and revert to their previous or a similar lifestyle.
I find it very difficult to believe that there is any "miracle" diet, and even less so that it would even be healthy.

Exactly what I was thinking, it's another road block in the way of getting useful information to people about nutrition and lifestyle choices that actually work. There's no quick fix, and there never will be.
Nikko

Postby tal » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:13 am

tal

Postby beforewisdom » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:40 am

Orthorexia is making obsessive food choices under the guise of health to the point of those food choices actually harming someone's health or taking over someone's life.

This thread seems to be about yet another fad weight loss diet cycle that promises people that they will not have to deny themselves anything as long as they follow a few simple magical rules.

Kind of sad as portion control and exercise are not that bad and probably less intrusive than the magic rules.
beforewisdom

Postby sergio » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:09 pm

I saw a tv documentary about this a few days ago, it was tabloid crap but interesting somehow.

It's listed as fake and dangerous diet by the main health institution in this country. They're basically living without carbs (in the first steps most vegetables are forbidden) and eating tons of oat bran. There are like 70 products you can eat or something. It seems to be quite popular, even it's against the common sense of metabolism, so to speak.
I accidentally replaced all of my blood with coffee.
sergio

Postby Nikko » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:16 am

[quote="sergio"]I saw a tv documentary about this a few days ago, it was tabloid crap but interesting somehow.

It's listed as fake and dangerous diet by the main health institution in this country. They're basically living without carbs (in the first steps most vegetables are forbidden) and eating tons of oat bran. There are like 70 products you can eat or something. It seems to be quite popular, even it's against the common sense of metabolism, so to speak.

I'm not surprised its listed as dangerous, it's so limiting in regards to the foods you can eat.

There's no way this could be a nutritionally complete diet is there?
Nikko

Postby sergio » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:00 am

I don't know, the guy recommends a multivitamin to ensure micronutrient intakes are ok, but depleted glycogen reserves 24/7, insane amounts of animal protein, zero fibre, etc doesn't sound as a good idea at all. It isn't a nutrition program, it's a business. Businessmen don't have qualms or health concerns.

Your anecdote reminds me, the other day in a whole/organic/veg/whatever shop, there was a woman on her fifties or so, asking for advice about macrobiotic diet. It worked and it was perfectly safe according to the shop assistant. I was tempted to join the conversation but I didn't dare. Really awkward.
sergio

Postby Fallen_Horse » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:19 am

[quote="sergio"]....I was tempted to join the conversation but I didn't dare. Really awkward.

Yeah this happens a lot...
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby Nikko » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:39 am

[quote="sergio"] I was tempted to join the conversation but I didn't dare. Really awkward.

I had to bite my tongue, I don't like telling people what to do, or at least seeming like I'm telling them what to do. Unless I'm asked my opinion I usually just keep my tofu hole shut!
Nikko

Postby Nikko » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:48 am

I don't know a lot about the whole macrobiotic thing, just the little I've read on Wikipedia. It does sound a bit sketchy but no more than say the paleo diet. I dunno they all seem pretty "gimmicky" compared to just having a balanced diet with exercise.....but what do I know, I'm just a silly hippie vegan hahaha.
Nikko

Postby ColleenE » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:04 am

Anyone stupid enough to believe there are only 100 foods you can eat should be looking into psychiatric, not nutritional, advice.
ColleenE

Postby etherspin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:44 am

[quote="Nikko"][quote="sergio"]I saw a tv documentary about this a few days ago, it was tabloid crap but interesting somehow.

I'm not surprised its listed as dangerous, it's so limiting in regards to the foods you can eat.

I think we should be careful which arguments we use to shoot this one down, being listed as dangerous and described as limiting is something common to veganism in quite a few countries/regions.
is this diet a permutation of keto ? also is it touted as sustainable long term? there may be a place for diets that work short term if weight is generally well maintained until an anomaly - I've had to try a number of strategies since cytomegalovirus sent my liver nuts,gave me a spare tyre and a fine set of man boobs to obliterate but prior to that my weight was fine for the most part
etherspin

Postby sergio » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:06 am

[quote="etherspin"][quote="Nikko"][quote="sergio"]I saw a tv documentary about this a few days ago, it was tabloid crap but interesting somehow.

I think we should be careful which arguments we use to shoot this one down, being listed as dangerous and described as limiting is something common to veganism in quite a few countries/regions.
is this diet a permutation of keto ? also is it touted as sustainable long term? there may be a place for diets that work short term if weight is generally well maintained until an anomaly - I've had to try a number of strategies since cytomegalovirus sent my liver nuts,gave me a spare tyre and a fine set of man boobs to obliterate but prior to that my weight was fine for the most part

It's not really an argument, but a heads up.

Ketogenic was created for epilepsy treatment wasn't it?. I think the "target audience" of this diet has nothing to do with treating anomalies or diseases. It's just a quick fix, with a huge impact in the metabolism and a important rebound effect once you drop the diet. Not the healthiest approach to weight loss.

Of course there must be situations in which diets like this could be justified or advisable. But this doesn't seem the case at all, imho.
sergio

Postby jonwade » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:49 pm

Diets like the Dukan can work - but only for the same reason that any diet can work - they force people to radically change the way they eat, and to follow a strict regime that involves eating far fewer calories than they are used to.

Dukan is very similar to Arkins (although nobody who supports Dukan will say that!) and like Atkins, it can help with weight loss. A study done a while back (I may be able to dig out the reference if you want) found that Atkins aided faster weight loss in the first stage / first weeks-month of dieting. However, after 12 months all diets tested were equally effective. So long as people stayed on the diets, they lost more or less (no significant difference) amount of weight.

Diets never fail, people just fail to follow them.
jonwade

Next

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating