Possible Food Poisoning?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Possible Food Poisoning?

Postby jamesndawson » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:32 pm

Last winter I had a horrible bout of what I'm sure was food poising. I thought at first it was flu, but I remembered I'd eaten at a restaurant, and since it only lasted about 3 days or so, I'm pretty sure it wasn't the flu.

I vomited heavily and uncontrollably and was weak with a medium head and body ache. Felt awful.

Anyway, this morning I'm not nearly as bad as that, but I do feel a little nauseous, and I do remember taking a drink of something from my fridge that tasted a little off. I threw it down the sink. It was water from my steamed vegetables, mixed with the broth of Loma Linda vegan meats.

I had my morning coffee and a fruit smoothie, and was going to have a couple slices of toast, but my body seemed to be telling me, "You've had enough for now. Stop eating".

The nausea is a little vague. I'm wondering if it's the occasional I sometimes have, that usually goes away. I managed to use my tongue scraper without a vomiting episode.

So---to get to the main question---IF it's food poising, do I HAVE to vomit as part of the recovery process? I was wanting to go out and about and enjoy the summer day a little, maybe go to the library, but I don't want to be caught there if vomiting is inevitable. I'm also getting a little hungry right now, but I'm afraid to eat anything if I might not be able to keep it down.

I know about Ginger, but procrastinated on getting any.

Any advice would be appreciated.
James
jamesndawson

Re: Possible Food Poisoning?

Postby Hiking Fox » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:49 pm

There are two types of food poisoning bacteria.

* The ones that multiply in food.
* The ones that are quite dormant in food, but multiply in your body.

If you eat something contaminated by the former, the effects are quick, there's loads of vomiting and the food probably smelled or tasted off.

If the latter, you could go three days without feeling ill, then have explosive diarrhoea and gut pains.

The most common type of food poisoning bacteria is clostridium perfringens, which is definitely the diarrhoea type. Other types, such as salmonella, cause vomiting. E Coli, which is found on muddy vegetables and unwashed salad, is the diarrhoea type, but it is pretty severe and can cause kidney failure in extreme cases.

It is a common misconception that it is easy to trace food poisoning by reflecting on what you ate the day before and whether it seemed off; it isn't. You may well be affected by something you ate three days ago. you may also have the nausea as a result of something unconnected by food, such as a bacteria or virus that's going around your friends, or a summer storm migraine. Nausea and stomach upsets are one of the symptoms of migraine, as the blood flow to your brain is disrupted. Ditto sunstroke. Have you had headaches?
Hiking Fox

Re: Possible Food Poisoning?

Postby jamesndawson » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:36 am

Thanks HF. I think it was probably a false alarm.

I did go ahead and have a couple slices of toast and actually felt a little better right after. Emboldened by that, I had a salad and a glass of soymilk.

I now and then get this vague nausea and start getting paranoid, because I guess I'm a little emetophobic. The memory of my last poisoning was recent enough to make me even a little more nervous about it than usual.

I'm better now. Appreciate the info.
James
jamesndawson

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating