D3 and women

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

D3 and women

Postby ColleenE » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:40 pm

Hey y'all,
So I went to the doc this week due to hip pain (need an MRI--either a bad sprain or xfracture, I think a sprain) and she was horrified that I wasn't taking at least 5000 ius of vitamin D. I've been told in the past because I am a female athlete who runs at a bare minimum 2500 miles a year that I should be megadosing on calcium. But 5000ius of D, too? I got that D3 spray and it has 1000ius, also I take a multi with another 800.
What do you think? 5000 seemed excessive to me.
ColleenE

Re: D3 and women

Postby vegimator » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:51 pm

If you feel that you need it, there's always these guys - http://www.foodfightgrocery.com/vitashi ... u-capsule/

I've been keeping up great D levels with 2400 IUs of D2 but I'm not a runner (if that has any bearing).
vegimator

Postby Hiking Fox » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:03 pm

Don't you have any sunshine where you live?
Hiking Fox

Postby beforewisdom » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:10 pm

I agree the large amounts are hard to accept, especially given how they used to warn people about overdosing on just hundreds of IU back in the day. "They" have learned a lot since then.

D2 isn't well absorbed so you will need a lot. Even if you are starting with vegan D3, it takes a while to get your blood levels up if you are deficient.

Be warned, there are two new, popular Vitamin D tests, both of which have been shown to be inaccurate. If you start taking the higher doses see your doctor every so often to get your blood levels checked.
beforewisdom

Postby ColleenE » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:23 pm

[quote="Hiking Fox"]Don't you have any sunshine where you live?

Exactly! I live in NY, we have sufficient sunshine and I'm out in it at least 5 days a week for at least 2-5 hours.

Taking THAT much of any vitamin is suspect to me. I've looked at various studies and one from the University of Zurich suggested that a high dose (i.e. 800ius) of D every day was favorable in preventing fractures.

When you take a general multi, is that vitamin D2 or D3? I'm confused: she just said "vitamin d" so which one do we need in that large quantity (allegedly)?
ColleenE

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating