New Vegan - Meal Planning and Bulking - Help?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

New Vegan - Meal Planning and Bulking - Help?

Postby CanisMalis » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:13 pm

Hi guys!

This is my first post, so just to quickly introduce myself, I'm a 22yr old Powerlifter from Bristol, England. I'm 6' and 85kg. PRs: Squat 5@155kg, Bench 5@95kg, Deadlift 1@170kg (fatigued).

I've recently transitioned from eating everything in sight, to lacto-ovo, and am now on the verge of going full vegan. I have been very disorganised with my diet up until now, just trying to get in as much as possible of anything. It's become apparent that I'll do much better by having a plan. So I'm trying to learn as much as I can about nutrition, weight gain, cooking, etc. Whilst also bringing my diet in line with my moral and ethical views.

I've created a spreadsheet which contains my current plan on the link below. If anyone else finds that useful to have and change they are more than welcome to.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-dFBf ... 0NfZWxEUVE

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on foods to add? Any decent recipes, etc? Also on the macronutrient side of things, how are my food choices? And are there better affordable foods?

Any help or advice would be really appreciated! :)
My Channel - http://www.youtube.com/JackalTraceur
“Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. It’s not who you are that holds you back, it’s who you think you’re not.”
CanisMalis

Re: New Vegan - Meal Planning and Bulking - Help?

Postby wannalift » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:37 pm

CanisMalis wrote:Hi guys!

This is my first post, so just to quickly introduce myself, I'm a 22yr old Powerlifter from Bristol, England. I'm 6' and 85kg. PRs: Squat 5@155kg, Bench 5@95kg, Deadlift 1@170kg (fatigued).

I've recently transitioned from eating everything in sight, to lacto-ovo, and am now on the verge of going full vegan. I have been very disorganised with my diet up until now, just trying to get in as much as possible of anything. It's become apparent that I'll do much better by having a plan. So I'm trying to learn as much as I can about nutrition, weight gain, cooking, etc. Whilst also bringing my diet in line with my moral and ethical views.

I've created a spreadsheet which contains my current plan on the link below. If anyone else finds that useful to have and change they are more than welcome to.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-dFBf ... 0NfZWxEUVE

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on foods to add? Any decent recipes, etc? Also on the macronutrient side of things, how are my food choices? And are there better affordable foods?

Any help or advice would be really appreciated! :)

Honestly, it looks pretty good so far in terms of overall structure. Here are the changes I would make though:

1. Obviously changing the whey protein to either rice/soy/pea/hemp/etc.
2. Too many bananas. Try substituting some healthy fats instead.
3. Did you win a lifetime supply of peanuts? How could you possibly eat that many? Switch in some almonds and or other nuts.
4. Ever consider textured vegetable protein (TVP)?
5. More vegetables. You need more greens. Try adding a couple cups of frozen spinach.
6. Shredded coconut goes well with protein/oats shakes. Flax oil too.

Good luck!
Are you doing enough to be the best?
wannalift

Postby blinki » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:46 pm

Why are you drinking alpro if you are concerned about cost? Buy supermarket's own make. I think the cheapest that's sweetened is Sainsbury's UHT basic value stuff at 59p. Uou might find cheaper unsweetened since most supermarkets only do that as their basic value range

More variety really wouldn't hurt. Eat the same every day if you want but do you really only ever eat 6 foods plus soy milk? That's a bit too far on the restrictive side of things to possibly be healthy

eta: no wait, 7 foods. Rice doesn't make it onto your costing table and I counted from there. 8 If you count protein powder
blinki

Postby CanisMalis » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:02 pm

Oh dear, I wrote a whole post and somehow got logged out before I submitted it. Probably this work computer.

Thanks so much for your responses!

I forgot to mention that I'm using whey at the moment due to having been left quite a large amount from my housemate when he moved out. I'm planning to work my way through that before I start to use plant-based, more due to money than anything else.

I'm pretty strictly budgeted and am trying to get the most for the least amount of money. Hence peanuts and bananas, they seemed to my limited knowledge, the best options for more carbs/fat/protein. I can get both pretty cheap.

The cost sheet is a very rough draft, just looking at what is possible, and it isn't anything final. I will definitely shop around to find the cheapest available. Rice isn't on there because I buy it about 10kg at a time.

TVP and Spinache are great ideas! Flax oil is also something on my list to add!

The restriction of variety is definitely a concern, I'm going to be looking at recipes and other things I can add to mix it up. If you've got anything to suggest, that'd be awesome!

Thanks again guys. :)
“Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. It’s not who you are that holds you back, it’s who you think you’re not.”
CanisMalis

Postby Talyn » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:11 pm

That looks pretty solid, and as wannalift said, the whey protein is easily substituted with some pea or soya protein. Take a look at myprotein.co.uk for cheap but good quality stuff.

2 bananas a day is totally fine. I usually do this but also try and eat apples and berries as well.

Carbs look fine, but personally I'd up the fats to around 150g per day and the protein down to around 220-240g per day.

Some other assorted tips from a fellow bulker:

- hommus is awesome
- there should be more cookies
- you're better off eating a chocolate bar than waxy maize
- a cheap tofu supplier is great if you can find one

Welcome to the board, btw ;)

What federation do you lift with?
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby blinki » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:17 pm

CanisMalis wrote:Hence peanuts and bananas, they seemed to my limited knowledge, the best options for more carbs/fat/protein. I can get both pretty cheap.

I think it's best not to think of fruit and veg in terms of macro-nutrition because it tends to lead to bad micro-nutrition. They aren't very calories dense (for the most part) so when planning I'd say put down X calories for fruit, Y calories for veg and mix it up as much as possible.

In terms of cost then I think bananas are by far the cheapest. But I think having a diet that's at least sort of healthy is worth it even if it means finding some savings elsewhere-
blinki

Postby thestoatyone » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:19 pm

Welcome aboard! My best tip for success in bulking is to eat a pack of Asda bombay mix a day. Wash it down with some malt loaf/marzipan sandwiches and your laughing.

What are your goals?

If you want recipes, DM ninearms; he's our resident lifter/foodie hybrid.
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby CanisMalis » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:36 pm

Talyn wrote:Welcome to the board, btw ;)

Thanks very much! To be honest I haven't competed yet. I plan to this year though!
I see the link to Bethnal Green in your signature. I'll be around East London (mainly between Beckton and Walthomstow) for the next few weeks. I'll be looking for somewhere to lift.

blinki wrote:But I think having a diet that's at least sort of healthy is worth it even if it means finding some savings elsewhere-

You seriously don't want to know what I've been stuffing down my neck the past year. :P
This is definitely a step towards healthier for me. Hehe. My financial state is pretty temporary, due to starting my own business. So once I'm a bit more stable I will be able to put long term health as a higher priority.

thestoatyone wrote:Welcome aboard! My best tip for success in bulking is to eat a pack of Asda bombay mix a day. Wash it down with some malt loaf/marzipan sandwiches and your laughing.

What are your goals?

If you want recipes, DM ninearms; he's our resident lifter/foodie hybrid.

Thanks so much! :D
Will definitely give that combo a try. Malt Loaf is amazing.

Long term I'd like to weigh about 110kg. In terms of lifts I'm shooting for getting my bench 5RM past 100kg (should hopefully happen on Monday), same with squat but with 180kg, and deadlift to 220kg for a single.
CanisMalis

Postby Talyn » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:16 pm

CanisMalis wrote:
Talyn wrote:Welcome to the board, btw ;)

Thanks very much! To be honest I haven't competed yet. I plan to this year though!
I see the link to Bethnal Green in your signature. I'll be around East London (mainly between Beckton and Walthomstow) for the next few weeks. I'll be looking for somewhere to lift.

Good man! I will PM you rather than hijack the thread any further.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby baldy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:59 am

Welcome to veganfitness CanisMalis, you have come to the right place. :twisted:

Bulking wise check out -> viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4518

You might find this thread interesting -> viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23344
It has a meal plan written by a registered dietician specifically for a weightlifter, should give some inspiration.

I had a look at your spreadsheet, if you are able to follow it for any length of time you have the dedication of a saint or cooking skills of a demi god. Most bulkers (which is what you now are), tend to find food they enjoy eating to get the calories in. Personally I like potato waffles, others hit the PB sandwiches or bombay mix. If you plan to be a 110kg you are not going to be lean, 110kg at 6' is big, to get to that size you probably will need to add lots of junk food. Have you met any 110kg powerlifters?

The road from 85-110kg is a long one probably 3 years at least, would suggest picking some closer goals to shoot for.

Also check out this from JP (105+ Strongman) -> http://www.goodhempnutrition.com/conten ... i-purmonen

My typical days breakdown is approximately this:

1. Breakfast: porridge, wheetabix (ASDA cheapo equivalent) or mysli, i guess its fair bit, takes about 0.4 litres of soya milk.

2. Multivit etc tabs with orange juice

3. Protein shake: hemp protein, pea protein, creatine, in soya milk (maybe 0.4-0.5 litre?)

4. Sometimes snack midmorning, could be chocolate soya milk and a protein bar (builders or organic food bar)

5. Lunch: what ever, try to make it home these days, rice & tofu, or some kind of frys meaty product like chicken strips is most common. I guess there is some veg in there sometimes. Or falafel with rice, or curry from local.

6. Afternoon: crisps, pepsi, flapjacks - ok this has become a habit now, dirty, but i am loving it

7. before training:

energy drink

performance matrix pre workout boost thingie

8. during training: usually some kind of sports drink/lucosade

9. after training:

chocolate soya milk

protein bar

10. Evening meal is like lunch, some kind of hearty meal, what ever it is. Could range from pizza, to "mince meat" bolognese with spaghetti to potatoes with some kind of "meaty" thing like tofu, burgers what ever.

I try to have a protein shake before bed but i have been bad at this, will sharpen up now due to the bulking. But usually have some kind of evening snack, like ice cream with chocolate sauce and peanut butter, or fruit covered in vanilla custard...

That's a pretty typical day.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby thestoatyone » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:05 pm

Nice goals! Like Baldy says, get dirty with the food; eating clean is eating to stay little and weak! Pick some year end goals, hit up the crack-pipe-chat and eat like someone who's never heard of micronutrients. I think you will do well here...
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby CanisMalis » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:44 pm

Thought I'd add a bit of an update about what I'm doing. I've been totally inactive on the forum since starting the thread due to mad business. Thanks again to everyone for the support!

I've been playing around with logging my macronutrient intake so I'm still hitting my targets for growth (still around the 4000cal mark) whilst also been mixing it up and trying to vary what I eat as much as possible. I have a consistent base of foods that I use to hit my targets everyday (oats, peanuts, bananas, etc.) but that only really is about 2 thirds of what I'm eating.

Vegan pizza is amazing.
CanisMalis

Postby king_mob » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:53 pm

hey canis, im in bristol too and powerlifting, where do you train?

as for your diet, everything baldy has said and linked too is spot on.

also, although others have mentioned it, really really dont sleep on healthy fats. fat content in your diet is vital for hormone production, and fats are incredibly energy dense.

fry stuff in coconut oil (non-hydronated) and cover everthing in an olive oil or rapeseed oil dressing.

bear sure to avoid vegetable oil or sunflower oil like the plague, omega 6 content is through the roof.
king_mob

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating