Ancedotal Soy

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Ancedotal Soy

Postby beforewisdom » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:21 pm

"The plural of anecdote is not data."
- Roger Brinner

I think everyone here is educated enough to understand that quote, which I agree with, but anecdotal accounts do have a psychological effect on people.

Soy has to be one of the most heavily urban folklored foods these days.

All sorts of horror stories are told about it, especially for men.

So, wanted to add a positive, anti-fear mongering account here. Please feel to add your own.

I just got some lab results back this morning, from a new doctor I am going to. I chose her because she has an excellent reputation. A local mainstream metropolitan magazine put her name in a "Best Doctors Of ____" issue and database. She gave me a very thorough physical, with very, very, thorough lab tests.

I have a metabolism which gains weight very easily so I've always had some doubt about things like thyroid function, testosterone, etc.

I went vegetarian, several decades ago, at 14 years of age( I've been vegan since the 90s ). Since then soy foods have been a frequent and regular part of my diet.

I just came from getting my lab results back.

My thyroid.....and everything else, tested out with normal, even excellent levels of everything.

My total cholesterol was at 107 mg/dl.

My total testosterone was at 621 mg/dl.
My free testosterone was at 112.48 pg/ml

My doctor told me that my testosterone levels, both of them, were normal and good for any man, but especially a man my age.

That is after a life time of eating soy foods regularly and frequently.

No more FUD or anti-soy urban folklore for me.

I'm having a soy based mock-turkey salad for lunch :)

Hope this helps other people relax.

Everyone is different, but if you have any kind of medical coverage getting a blood test is easy and cheap.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Re: Ancedotal Soy

Postby sergio » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:17 am

Thanks for sharing this, beforew.
I accidentally replaced all of my blood with coffee.
sergio

Postby Sid Delicious » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:35 am

I'm sick to death of food-fadists and food-hypochondriacs (sp?). Every few years there is a new "superfood" that is marketed (usually expensively) as being something that will lengthen your life. Likewise, every few years there is a new demon food that is "bad" for your health. During the 1990s and 2000s I knew a lot of people who experimented with being vegetarian and vegan. Most went back to being omnivores, with some of them jumping on the anti-soy and anti-wheat bandwagon. Just as they once proclaimed not eating meat was the best health choice they ever made, they suddenly began to blame soy and wheat for every health complaint they ever had. At one point it seemed like half the people I knew were "allergic" to gluten and every time someone they knew got sick they would urge them to give up wheat or they would die. And eating soy was going to make women grow udders and turn men into women or some such crap like that. I got sick of people telling me how bad soy and gluten were for my health.
Since I came across this website almost 10 years ago I've learned a lot more about nutrition and as a result my physical health (strength, stamina, endurance etc) has improved a LOT. Ironically, my soy intake over the last 10 years or so has more than doubled since I went vegan in the late 1980s. My range of protein sources has increased a lot too, generally I'm eating much better, but even so, this large increase in soy has not made me become effeminate, grow breasts, or any of the other crap that some claim will happen.

The first I heard of soy being "bad" for you was maybe 10 years ago. Some guy in New Zealand kept pet parrots and some of them got sick and died. It turns out that some of the feed he gave them contained some form of soy product. It may well be that soy is toxic to some species of parrot, but that is not proof that it is toxic to humans. Even so, that incident seems to be where the wave of soy-hysteria has spread from. If it is so "scientifically correct" to deduce that something bad for parrots must therefore be bad for humans, then it must be equally "true" that what is good for parrots is good for humans. Next time some doofus lectures me about how bad soy is for me I shall issue them a challenge - I will live on nothing but poisonous evil soy products for a week and they can live on bird seed for a week. We'll see who feels fit and healthy at the end of that.,

About 5-6 years ago someone on VF posted a link to an article on soy products that was based on various studies rather than the usual hearsay. I'll try to find that link again as the article was from a mainstream, non-vegan body-building website rather than from a source that anyone could claim was a vested interest like a vegan group or soy-product manufacturer.
Sid Delicious

Postby sergio » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:50 am

Sid Delicious wrote: I'll try to find that link again as the article was from a mainstream, non-vegan body-building website rather than from a source that anyone could claim was a vested interest like a vegan group or soy-product manufacturer.

Maybe it's this one I remember finding it on a thread in this same forum.

However, I'm still reading stuff about soy and being cautious to make conclussions. And I must say I appreciate when people realize vegans don't need necessarily to use soy as a diet staple and eating soy products in every single meal.
I accidentally replaced all of my blood with coffee.
sergio

Postby beforewisdom » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:46 pm

I have a category on my blog of popular articles reporting on decent quality sources saying soy isn't a big deal

http://beforewisdom.com/blog/soy/

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby Sid Delicious » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:16 am

sergio wrote:Maybe it's this one I remember finding it on a thread in this same forum.

That's the article. I tried looking for it the other night without success. Thanks for finding it for me.
One of the things that makes me laugh is when people blame stuff like reduced sperm counts, man boobs etc etc on the fact that soy is found in many products nowadays, often in tiny amounts in the form of lecithin. If soy was really that bad, surely all the 'negative effects' would show up in people who ate lots of soy (vegetarians and vegans) as opposed to people who ate tiny amounts of soy in processed foods.
My favourite 'soy is bad for you' story was told to me years ago by someone whose friends father had been told by his doctor to lower his cholesterol to avoid heart trouble. The doctor suggested soy instead of cow milk on his cereal. After a while of doing that the guy changed back to cow milk as he claimed the soy was raising his estrogen levels and making him over-emotional about things such as tv adverts! :D
Sid Delicious

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating