Dangers of vegan diets, Lysine deficiency!

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Dangers of vegan diets, Lysine deficiency!

Postby catwoman11 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:23 am

Hello vegan fitness friends!
I'm from Austria and new here 38 years old, love eat vegan, raw food and my hobby is creating new delicious recipes. I even love sport e.g. ride my new e-bike. But my favourite hobby is definitely alternative healing methods!
So i'm a natural health professional and able to check several deficiencies as vitamins or even amino acids.
VEGAN DIETS AND LYSINE DEFICIENCY
It was shocking for me because I was totally lacking of the essential amino acid lysine! And at this time I really had major health problems for several months. I suffered from different kinds of viruses as herpes, problems with never ending cough and major problems with different viruses on my uterine zervix - my pap smear changed dramatically! To this I suffered also from hair loss with no apparent reason. I had to fight with very poor health and beauty only because lacking lysine! I never ate enough food which contains lysine over a long time, and this caused my severe health problems! You find lysine in greater amounts in several vegan foods as beans, lentils, soy products and nuts. According RDA you need 38 mg lysine per kg body weight this is pretty much and difficult to reach and according my experiences as health professional is this true. It's a good idea to supplement lysine from time to time if someone doesn't reach enough of this essential amino acid.
It would be interesting for me if someone supplement carnitine. I think this amino acid is also very essential for vegan people. I take daily 500 mg and I have much more energy than ever before.
I even wrote a book and hope I'm allowed to introduce it here. :? :roll: :lol:

"VEGAN Beauty & Rejuvenation - DANGERS of vegan and raw food diets and how to avoid it!"
from Doris Pirkenau
http://www.amazon.com/VEGAN-Beauty-Reju ... s=pirkenau

Vegan greetings from Austria!
Catwoman11
catwoman11

Re: Dangers of vegan diets, Lysine deficiency!

Postby Linnéa76 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:04 pm

Hi! How did you find out you had lysine deficiency? Are there any scientific (peer-reviewed) articles on the subject of lysine deficency caused by vegan diets you could link to?
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby ratfan » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:15 pm

Here is a link to Jack Norris, Vegan Health: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/protein.php
I suspect this is more of a problem for raw vegans.
ratfan

Postby Sid Delicious » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:24 am

Good grief! You list your health problems like hair loss due to lack of lysine, and then go on to list foods with good lysine levels such as beans, lentils, soy products and nuts. These are everyday foods for vegetarians and vegans. What on earth were you eating instead of them? I've been vege/vegan for over 25 years and have more hair on my head than many of my peers (I'm mid-40s in age).
Sid Delicious

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating