Increase in fibre

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Increase in fibre

Postby tomforster » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:23 am

[quote="Goob"]I just want to say I don't recommend vega. It's way too expensive for what you get, and it has tons of fiber. I think 50% of daily fiber requirements per serving, but I can't be bothered to check right now so could very well be way off. Plain soy, pea and rice protein is way cheaper so better for bulking.

I appreciate the feedback, i definitely don't need much more fibre so i've gone for pea protein i think for now, i'll see how that is when it gets here :)
tomforster

Postby Goob » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:09 pm

[quote="tomforster"][quote="Goob"]I just want to say I don't recommend vega. It's way too expensive for what you get, and it has tons of fiber. I think 50% of daily fiber requirements per serving, but I can't be bothered to check right now so could very well be way off. Plain soy, pea and rice protein is way cheaper so better for bulking.

I appreciate the feedback, i definitely don't need much more fibre so i've gone for pea protein i think for now, i'll see how that is when it gets here :)

Pea protein is a good choice. Not as tasty as rice protein, but some crazy people around here actually prefer it :shock:
[quote="Mikhail Koklyaev"]Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby thestoatyone » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:32 pm

Don't be expecting a taste sensation, but if you expect "Malty" you won't be too badly let down. Cocoa powder, soy milk and a bit of sugar and it's alright tasting.
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby xJimx » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:19 am

[quote="tomforster"]vega sport protein powder has been recommended by a local vegan professional ice hockey player i talked to about it.

Just being nosey mate but who's the pro hockey player who's vegan? I know there are a handful of vegan pros/ex-pros in Europe & N. America but wasn't aware of any here in Blighty.

I don't play anymore & was always more of a skater/roller guy due to lack of ice in the area where I grew up, but I did play the last 3-4 years as a vegan. Never an issue but teammates thought I was strange obviously (although as a goalie it's pretty much part of the job description to be a weirdo). I know there's at least one other hockey player here on VF.

Regarding supplements, don't bother with that expensive crap, unflavoured pea protein is the best way forward. Easily masked with soya milk, cocoa, peanut butter.
DYEL
xJimx

Postby tomforster » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:10 am

Hi xjimx,

The professional is a Stephen Murphy of the Belfast Giants, very nice guy and very helpful.

I've played roller for years but started ice about a year ago and play around 4 times a week, my problem is i get hit a lot because of my small size...and it hurts! haha

I bought some pea protein powder, unflavoured yes but i'm struggling for ideas what to use it in :/
tomforster

Postby xJimx » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:45 am

Another vegan goalie - excellent :D
DYEL
xJimx

Postby TarekF » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:57 am

Along with trying to decrease the fibre certain supplements have been shown to help IBS (or IBD) like symptoms, so you may give them a try. Certain probiotic bacteria strains, vitamin D, and potentially omega 3s (not as much for this one).

Just some things to try, and obviously you may not even have IBS, but its a pretty broad thing, and these could potentially help digestion in general, im not sure.

I still occasionally have some stomach issues if i have a ton of beans, so i think your problems are probably fairly normal when starting out.

Also, im curious, how are the digestive issues as of now? Getting any better?
"The best climber in the world is the one having the most fun"
Alex Lowe
TarekF

Postby tomforster » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:23 am

[quote="TRF"]Along with trying to decrease the fibre certain supplements have been shown to help IBS (or IBD) like symptoms, so you may give them a try. Certain probiotic bacteria strains, vitamin D, and potentially omega 3s (not as much for this one).

Just some things to try, and obviously you may not even have IBS, but its a pretty broad thing, and these could potentially help digestion in general, im not sure.

I still occasionally have some stomach issues if i have a ton of beans, so i think your problems are probably fairly normal when starting out.

Thanks for the reply :)

My main problem is when i eat a ton of beans, but i like beans so i didnt want to cut down but it has got better :) i used to feel crappy and lethargic because of my stomach, now i feel fine. I do get real annoying acid reflux though which im not sure is caused by what i eat, considering seeing a doctor as its pretty irratating now
tomforster

Postby thestoatyone » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:15 pm

[quote="tomforster"][quote="TRF"]Along with trying to decrease the fibre certain supplements have been shown to help IBS (or IBD) like symptoms, so you may give them a try. Certain probiotic bacteria strains, vitamin D, and potentially omega 3s (not as much for this one).

Thanks for the reply :)

My main problem is when i eat a ton of beans, but i like beans so i didnt want to cut down but it has got better :) i used to feel crappy and lethargic because of my stomach, now i feel fine. I do get real annoying acid reflux though which im not sure is caused by what i eat, considering seeing a doctor as its pretty irratating now

Are you really stressed ATM? I had really bad nausea when I got really stressed. See a doc but consider other life circumstances because sadly not all health professionals take these as serious as they should...
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Previous

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating