Increase in fibre

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Increase in fibre

Postby tomforster » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:57 am

Hi all :)

I'm 18 and I've been a vegan for around 7 months, i love it, i feel stronger and more energetic than ever, however i have lost some weight so i'm hoping to put some on in the form of muscle. I've been 'bulking' a little for about a week, however i am not exactly rich, so my diet consists of lots of beans, seeds, tofu and other soy products for my protein source. However, since i have been eatinf probably 3 times as much seeds and beans as im used to, my stomach is in bits. i know a dramatic increase in fibre can cause this, but are there any feasible alternatives to fibre rich protein sources or, if i continue at this rate will my body become accustomed to the new diet?

Thanks
tomforster

Re: Increase in fibre

Postby tal » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:04 am

Hello and welcome :)

I went through a similar thing myself when I first went vegan, and others have as well. Going from a meat/dairy heavy diet to lots of grains/vegetables I had digestive problems for quite some time.

Some good high protein, lower fibre foods are:
- tofu
- seitan
- soya milk
- tempeh (medium level of fibre)
- mock meat product, which is usually a combination of soy/wheat, depending on where you live

Then you could also consider protein powders, but generally just as an addition to other foods if you find it tough to get enough each day.

Some other things you can consider to help ease the transition on your stomach are to blend/food process beans and nuts, which can help with digestion - and of course just eating smaller amounts with a view of building it up. In time it will get easier.

For me now, I regularly have for lunch: two cans of beans, around 50g of seeds, hemp oil and salad vegetables. So basically, a horrendous amount of fibre, and it's the first meal I eat in the day. But I have no digestive troubles, eventually your body gets used to the fibre. I used to have pretty bad IBS-type issues, but not anymore.

Hope that helps!
tal

Postby thestoatyone » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:07 am

Hi Tom, welcome!

I could launch into the whys and wherefores of bulking on a budget and how to avoid it messing with your belly, but can I ask a couple of things from you first?

1) Post a really quick intro to yourself in the "Introduce yourslelf" section. Don't need to be much, just who you are and what you're into, along with any sports you like

2) Post a bit more here on what you are eating. A typical days meals would be ideal.

Thanks, and all the best!
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby Lordmuppet » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:15 am

bookmarked for FAQ
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby tomforster » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:23 am

Hi guys, thanks for the rapid replies :)

Just posted in the welcome :)

I'm really struggling to find seitan and tempeh. any ideas where to source it? I live in Yorkshire in England if that helps? haha

On a usual day since i began 'bulking' i eat
-----------------------------------------------
3 Shredded wheat w/soy milk
4 slices of granary bread with a tin of beans
50g of mixed seeds
dry cheerios
smoothie

Jacket potato/w beans
multiseed porridge mix
soy yoghurt

Wholewheat pasta w/broccoli, carrot and either tomato sauce or gravy
chocolate soy milk
bag of crisps

vegan - supernoodles w/tofu
---------------------------------

as you can see, going from a little fibre..to that is pretty intense, when payday comes around i will be ordering some protein shakes. vega sport protein powder has been recommended by a local vegan professional ice hockey player i talked to about it.

tomforster

Postby Lordmuppet » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:24 am

[quote="tomforster"]Hi guys, thanks for the rapid replies :)

I'm really struggling to find seitan and tempeh. any ideas where to source it? I live in Yorkshire in England if that helps? haha

50g of mixed seeds
dry cheerios
smoothie

Jacket potato/w beans
multiseed porridge mix
soy yoghurt

chocolate soy milk
bag of crisps

as you can see, going from a little fibre..to that is pretty intense, when payday comes around i will be ordering some protein shakes. vega sport protein powder has been recommended by a local vegan professional ice hockey player i talked to about it.

www.realfoods.co.uk deliver for free in the UK for orders over 15 pounds fyi :) Lot's of vegan stuff there. I shop at their physical shop.
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby tomforster » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:26 am

[quote="Lordmuppet"][quote="tomforster"]Hi guys, thanks for the rapid replies :)

50g of mixed seeds
dry cheerios
smoothie

Jacket potato/w beans
multiseed porridge mix
soy yoghurt

chocolate soy milk
bag of crisps

http://www.realfoods.co.uk deliver for free in the UK for orders over 15 pounds fyi :) Lot's of vegan stuff there. I shop at their physical shop.

excellent, can't wait for payday :) i went into london from milton keynes specifically to visit a vegan shop that i know is there, i bough ice cream, mock meat, cupcakes...IT WAS LIKE HEAVEN :D
tomforster

Postby thestoatyone » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:30 am

Good man!

That is one hell of a breakfast! Have you got any means of spreading that out throughout the day? Might make it a bit easier to handle. Also, make sure you get enough water, that can help, er, move things along...

Heard good things about Vega, so give it a go, but if you're tight for cash online pea/soy protein powders do pretty much the same job for a lot less cash.

Also, for bulking, try dirtying it up a bit, crisps, chips etc. You won't "lean bulk", there'll be a bit of belly involved, but you're strength will rise just the same, and having a bit more weight to throw around on the ice is a good thing right? You can always sort the belly out later on.

How often do you train out of interest? There are a couple of hockey/ex-hockey guys here that might be interested in chipping in on that count...

My Log

thestoatyone

Postby tomforster » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:35 am

[quote="thestoatyone"]Good man!

That is one hell of a breakfast! Have you got any means of spreading that out throughout the day? Might make it a bit easier to handle. Also, make sure you get enough water, that can help, er, move things along...

Heard good things about Vega, so give it a go, but if you're tight for cash online pea/soy protein powders do pretty much the same job for a lot less cash.

Also, for bulking, try dirtying it up a bit, crisps, chips etc. You won't "lean bulk", there'll be a bit of belly involved, but you're strength will rise just the same, and having a bit more weight to throw around on the ice is a good thing right? You can always sort the belly out later on.

How often do you train out of interest? There are a couple of hockey/ex-hockey guys here that might be interested in chipping in on that count...

I spread it from around 7 till around 12, i take a 2pm lunch so it's pretty scattered :) i drink plenty of water too so hopefully i'll be alright soon!

Chips are always an option whenever i'm out and about, especially on a night out :P Yeah i'm pretty fed up of having no weight on the ice, means i get checked a lot! i train 3-4 days a week for various Recreational teams, nothing too serious :)
tomforster

Postby thestoatyone » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:43 am

Sounds like you're doing it right. Only other things I can think of that affect me are too much booze and too much coffee. If you've got them sorted, give it while and your body should adapt.

Good luck buddy.

My Log

thestoatyone

Postby tal » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:46 am

I usually make my own seitan, you can get the key ingredient, vital wheat gluten, cheaply from places like the low carb megastore in the UK: http://www.lowcarbmegastore.com/ingredients/wheat-gluten-powder-1kg

You can usually find good mock-meat type products at Holland & Barrett stores, if they have a freezer section.

Tempeh is pretty hard to find in the UK, I only see it sometimes.

Check out myprotein for cheap vegan protein powder, far cheaper than vega but also more basic. They do a vegan varieties in soya, pea and hemp.
tal

Postby tomforster » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:48 am

thanks so much! to be fair i've been reading this forum for ages to get advice and experiance in terms of diet so i figured it was time to join :)

also

[quote]
I usually make my own seitan, you can get the key ingredient, vital wheat gluten, cheaply from places like the low carb megastore in the UK: http://www.lowcarbmegastore.com/ingredi ... powder-1kg

Tempeh is pretty hard to find in the UK, I only see it sometimes.

Check out myprotein for cheap vegan protein powder, far cheaper than vega but also more basic. They do a vegan varieties in soya, pea and hemp.

Wow, thanks! i will definitely look into that :)

I have never seen tempeh anywhere unfortunately, can't wait to get some though!

i might have to start on a basic protein powder such as the ones you suggested and build it up i think :)
tomforster

Postby thestoatyone » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:58 am

Tempeh tends to be in the freezer section of health food shops, if it's there at all. Have you tried any Asian type shops in the area?

My Log

thestoatyone

Postby tomforster » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:59 am

we have an asian supermarket near that sells fresh tofu and 'mock meats' havent had a full browse though, might call on the way home tonight and have a look!
tomforster

Postby Goob » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:26 pm

I just want to say I don't recommend vega. It's way too expensive for what you get, and it has tons of fiber. I think 50% of daily fiber requirements per serving, but I can't be bothered to check right now so could very well be way off. Plain soy, pea and rice protein is way cheaper so better for bulking.
[quote="Mikhail Koklyaev"]Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Next

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating