Shakeology... Anyone know?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Shakeology... Anyone know?

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:59 am

My take on this is that you're both right.

Weight loss is about calories in vs calories out... take in more than you use and you'll gain, take in less than you use and you'll lose.

However, what you eat can affect how many calories your body uses, so even given the same level of exercise/activity and the same caloric intake, the kind of food you're eating can affect whether you gain or lose by affecting the calorie use part of the equation.
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby baldy » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:23 am

[quote="BlueRose"][quote="mouche"](I also can't help noticing that the OP asked for a review of Shakeology from somebody who was not a Beach Body coach, and so far the only person who has recommended it is a Beach Body coach)

Because unlike everyone else here, I HAVE tried the product. And I don't stand to make a dime off of my recommendation given the guy asking for a review already has a coach! Duhhhhh :roll:

It would be great if someone could add a review to our list -> viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23655
Or send samples to people for independent reviews. Over priced, over hyped protein shakes are still probably better than no vegan protein shakes.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby beforewisdom » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:44 pm

Dude, don't you think it is time to take the santa hat off? It is June 29th :)
beforewisdom

Postby BlueRose » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:07 pm

[quote="baldy"]It would be great if someone could add a review to our list -> viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23655
Or send samples to people for independent reviews. Over priced, over hyped protein shakes are still probably better than no vegan protein shakes.

That's why I've willingly given out samples without a thought in the world. I'd rather people try it and find out for themselves before they buy, and this goes for ANYTHING, really.
rational romantic mystic cynical idealist.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VeganWomenBodybuildingAndFitness/
Boston Vegan Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BostonVeganFitness/
BlueRose

Postby BlueRose » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:08 pm

[quote="FormicaLinoleum"]My take on this is that you're both right.

Weight loss is about calories in vs calories out... take in more than you use and you'll gain, take in less than you use and you'll lose.

However, what you eat can affect how many calories your body uses, so even given the same level of exercise/activity and the same caloric intake, the kind of food you're eating can affect whether you gain or lose by affecting the calorie use part of the equation.

+1 :)
rational romantic mystic cynical idealist.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VeganWomenBodybuildingAndFitness/
Boston Vegan Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BostonVeganFitness/
BlueRose

Postby jpowell » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:13 pm

(Sorry: OT in that I don't know anything about shakeology, I haven't and probably won't use the product)... but I felt I had to but in with my 2c on the more tangential side of this thread...

Curious if there is any scientific evidence at all for a steadfast belief in constancy of food calorie equations, or if its just one of these popular nutrition/exercise memes that have become true rather through enough people repeating them, and a general superficial plausibility. I've never found any evidence and when you really think about what's involved in it being true, seems kinda hard for me to imagine at least the strong case/claims.....

You people do realize that the "calories in" various foods are not even their actual total potential chemical energy to start with, right? Nutritionists know that some types of carbohydrates are converted to energy not at all by humans, some minimally, some very variably and others well, so they use rough approximations based on possible "typical" processing. Then there's the extent to which they body can use protein as energy if it absolutely must (rather than only for bodily functions), which is surely non-zero but also quite controversial, and some of the fat content is not used for energy but other bodily functions too! Finally, the structure of food, even how it has been prepared, probably affect how much is really digested and used.... and it doesn't seem unlikely to me that more energy would be extracted from processed foods or, rather, less from whole foods, and less from raw vs cooked foods). Where does this leave you with energy in vs energy out... well if you start detailed measurements of the chemical potential energy of all bodily excretions as well as food, and you make the incredibly unlikely assumptions that they are invariant with other aspects of dietary composition, timing of when you eat food, exercise and other individual factors, together with the incredibly unlikely (i.e. contrary to probably a large body of exercise science) assumptions that metabolic rate is fairly invariant to diet and lifestyle factors, then you can still approximate energy expenditure through activities plus a basal metabolic rate and make some kind of meaningful energy balance calculation. Even then, conservation of calories can't correspond DIRECTLY to your physical weight.... since fat contains much more calories per gram than proteins (muscle, skin, ligaments, etc), and there are at least 3-4 different types of water weight that contain negligible calories per gram (and have different advantages, disadvantages and reasons to each other).

There are, of course, parameters. Certain patterns of activity require certain amounts of energy as a minimum and, all other things being equal or, in an extreme case, even if they are not, the more you eat, the bigger you can, even must, become (fatter, or larger muscles, depending on other factors) ... but those statements are so watered down and obvious as to be almost meaningless.
jpowell

Postby xJimx » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:12 am

^ TL; DR

Eat too much & don't exercise: get fat. Eat less & exercise: don't get fat.

It's kind of ridiculous how many folk (including the whole 'healthy at any size' crowd I see on other vegan forums) want to fool themselves that this is not the case.
DYEL
xJimx

Previous

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating