400+ grams of protein experiment

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: 400+ grams of protein experiment

Postby ninearms » Thu May 10, 2012 6:09 pm

Well at least I now know the sort of person that eats 300g dry weight of pasta: people who eat from measuring jugs.

How do you maintain enthusiasm for eating/living when faced with 2l of what can only be described as "emergency rations when there's no food in the house and you can't quite lower yourself to making baked potatoes"?
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby _Andreas_ » Thu May 10, 2012 6:17 pm

Am I the only one who manages to eat 500g (dry weight) spaghetti quite easily in one sitting :oops:

Its usually after two hours of mountain biking though, so I guess that makes it ok :lol:
_Andreas_

Postby JP » Thu May 10, 2012 7:09 pm

Crazy stuff!

I eat out quite a lot. New city with hundreds of opportunities and then the radical centres with dirt cheap food it's hard and pointless to say no :)

that's why I don't bother to count either. Just go by the feel. At the moment I am counting the protein though, and try to underestimate it if anything.
JP
Site Admin

Postby Goob » Thu May 10, 2012 8:13 pm

[quote="ninearms"]Well at least I now know the sort of person that eats 300g dry weight of pasta: people who eat from measuring jugs.

How do you maintain enthusiasm for eating/living when faced with 2l of what can only be described as "emergency rations when there's no food in the house and you can't quite lower yourself to making baked potatoes"?

I've been known to eat 6-8 baked potatoes in one go as well :lol: Also, I'm not sure I want to be enthusiastic about food and definitely don't want food to be a reason for enthusiasm about life.

Tonight I'm having ~800g tofu, ~450g frozen broccoli and ~150g cooked brown rice :mrgreen:
[quote="Mikhail Koklyaev"]Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby JO » Fri May 11, 2012 3:59 am

I eat out quite a bit as well but that stuff's just gravy. I take care of the supplements and protein and fat mainly at home. Soon it will be hot enough to do home salads as well. There are many wonderful chain restaurants in Chicago that serve vegan food -- Native Foods, Protein Bar, and Freshii. Oh yes, and Sultan's Market ("if it's not our felafal it's f*ckin' awful") (or something like that). Of course I run into problems with friends who would rather patronize single businesses rather than "chains". But vegan chains are worthwhile, aren't they? Sorry -- meandering off-topic.
Kinetic-corporeal joy is known to ALL creatures.
JO

Postby baldy » Fri May 11, 2012 8:27 am

Tempted to start a food diary just for the resulting trash talking about how many calories in a baldy size serving of pasta.
Yesterday I only drank 1 shake, but ate half a packet of biscuits! :twisted:
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby ninearms » Fri May 11, 2012 8:41 am

[quote="baldy"]half a packet of biscuits

Steady on!
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby muchluv » Fri May 11, 2012 12:51 pm

What biscuits? When the fox's cookies around I nail a pack a day, generally til they're gone :P. However, I'm not a bulker. I'm just a greedy pig!
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby baldy » Fri May 11, 2012 6:50 pm

[quote="muchluv"]What biscuits? When the fox's cookies around I nail a pack a day, generally til they're gone :P. However, I'm not a bulker. I'm just a greedy pig!

Morrison's double chocolate chip and orange cookies. Pretty awesome, only half a packet cos there was only half a packet left.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Big Foot Marty » Sun May 27, 2012 11:42 pm

would be interested in what your dig 8) estive system looked like after extended period of 300-400 g Protein

what else to consume...

smoothie with Greens and hemp/pea/soy added...
Former football player now a runner and new Vegan. Run several marathons and other races now trying to learn how to eat and thrive on Vegan diet. And run successfully for Fun... Blogs - http://veggierunnereating.blogspot.com/
Big Foot Marty

Postby gabrielxxx » Mon May 28, 2012 2:08 am

So, any good news about the experiment?
gabrielxxx

Postby JP » Mon May 28, 2012 5:39 pm

hmmm hard to say... Its been a mad busy month, so that would affect things. Also my training has not been consistant enough.

During all this time i have managed to top 400 grams only perhaps 5 days of them all, but none been below 240ish, mostly in the early 300s.

The protein shakes make me feel full and in the start i was not getting enough calories, did get very lean but felt weak in the gym. Its more balanced now.

Price wise this is cheaper than the big amounts of soya milk i used to consume...

i will continue still especially when i get a good run of training in too.
JP
Site Admin

Postby gabrielxxx » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:02 am

[quote="JP"]hmmm hard to say... Its been a mad busy month, so that would affect things. Also my training has not been consistant enough.

During all this time i have managed to top 400 grams only perhaps 5 days of them all, but none been below 240ish, mostly in the early 300s.

The protein shakes make me feel full and in the start i was not getting enough calories, did get very lean but felt weak in the gym. Its more balanced now.

Price wise this is cheaper than the big amounts of soya milk i used to consume...

i will continue still especially when i get a good run of training in too.

Cool, I noticed that about the protein shakes making you full when I started taking 3 on lifting days, and it was starting to make me get less calories.

How much soymilk did you use to drink?
gabrielxxx

Postby JP » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:26 am

i guess up to 3 litres a day...

yeah i know, A LOT :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby gabrielxxx » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:41 pm

[quote="JP"]i guess up to 3 litres a day...

yeah i know, A LOT :D

Whoa, and do you also drink water?
gabrielxxx

PreviousNext

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating