[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
• View topic - 3 Times The Calcium Of Kale

3 Times The Calcium Of Kale

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: 3 Times The Calcium Of Kale

Postby Fallen_Horse » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:03 am

Per 100 grams? That was always my favorite....
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:23 am

Measuring portions? DOES NOT COMPUTE.
[quote="vCLaW"]It is pretty meaningless to compare the nutrition per cup of food.

+2

[quote="ninearms"]The number one factor used in comparing food items should be tastiness.

Truth again.

I make a whole bok choy and add a lot of garlic and soy sauce and then we sauté it and eat it with tofu as a family. I eat the most, my daughter second, my wife eats almost as much, and my son waits for dessert and soy milk.

I have no idea what we eat, but we're all growing the right way, and our blood tests prove it.

Tastiness >> every other factor perhaps with a caveat for accessibility and price. I would have artichokes every day if I could afford it.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Catt Queen » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:45 am

[quote="beforewisdom"]I disagree. People who don't have food scales in their homes often have zero idea about portion sizes. Being able to measure something out by a cup gets them in the ballpark of knowing how much they are eating.

Cup measurements confuse the hell out of me, it's just not a measurement method I have needed to use in the past and when I find recipes using it now, I really struggle to convert them.
Catt Queen

Postby jpowell » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:55 am

Thanks for clarifying. It seems like Gai Lan is what I can always find cheaply... and I am pretty sure is the Chinese greens dish in the food court too... Obviously I can find full size regular Bok Choi, too, but as I originally read the post, I am still seeing that as a little less interesting. Not sure if I can find Choy Sum, but probably will be able to, as there are quite a range of different Asian greens in some of the Chinese shops and even, to an extent, mainstream green grocers around here.

I couldn't find either Gai Lan or Choy Sum pre loaded in cronometer but I have now found a detailed "typical" analysis for Gai Lan on peacounter under "broccoli, chinese, cooked".

Cooked always opens up the question of how it has been cooked of course, which can be as frustratingly vague/vexing to me as the question of "how big is a cup"? Never understood quite what problem people sometimes have with standard SI units.
jpowell

Postby captain caveman III » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:51 pm

Is there any nutritional information regarding cooked vs raw, on this issue? I am hoping it is safe to be eaten raw and possibly more nutrients will be absorbed.
captain caveman III

Postby tal » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:09 pm

[quote="captain caveman III"]I am hoping it is safe to be eaten raw and possibly more nutrients will be absorbed.

Being eaten raw is not very safe, methinks.
tal

Postby vincentxanthony » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:45 am

[quote="Talyn"][quote="captain caveman III"]I am hoping it is safe to be eaten raw and possibly more nutrients will be absorbed.

It is so long as their partner's okay with doing it. Oh-ho!
vincentxanthony

Postby baldy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:34 am

[quote="vincentxanthony"][quote="Talyn"][quote="captain caveman III"]I am hoping it is safe to be eaten raw and possibly more nutrients will be absorbed.

It is so long as their partner's okay with doing it. Oh-ho!

I see what you did there.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby tal » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:51 am

[quote="vincentxanthony"]It is so long as their partner's okay with doing it. Oh-ho!

If you use 'Kale' as your safe word, then it's at least 3 times more safe.

:lol:
Last edited by tal on Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tal

Postby beforewisdom » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:49 am

How to cook choy sum:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJpkaj2jFVs[/youtube]
beforewisdom

Postby jpowell » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:34 am

Just noticed .... calcium to magnesium ratio of all these green vegetables looks a little bit high to me, especially as Mg seems to be extremely valuable for both health and athletic performance (not strength necessarily, more the neuromuscular aspect). Not a biggie... for most people it's probably no worse than in the rest of their diet, thereby improving it. It's definitely much better than dairy products. For me, I think I need to keep up a good dose of seaweed too, which is probably a little way the other side of this ideal, thereby balancing things out.
jpowell

Postby HealthBites » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:27 am

From what I can see it doesn't look like it has three times more calcium than kale, but maybe it's because this post hasn't taken into consideration the amount of calcium that's absorbed compared to the amount that's in the food? How do you work that part out?
HealthBites

Postby alexander » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:23 am

it was called petchay in the Philippines! and it taste really good.
Always desire to learn something useful.

- Sophocles
alexander

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:18 pm

[quote="HealthBites"]From what I can see it doesn't look like it has three times more calcium than kale, but maybe it's because this post hasn't taken into consideration the amount of calcium that's absorbed compared to the amount that's in the food? How do you work that part out?

I haven't had a chance to look at your link yet, thanks for posting it.

In the original post, there is a link that cites this post:
http://beforewisdom.com/blog/milkandbon ... ng-calcium

The information there takes both total calcium and absorbability into account. The information comes from a nutrition text book written by a top author who consulted a researcher. You might like to read that post.
beforewisdom

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:19 pm

[quote="alexander"]it was called petchay in the Philippines! and it taste really good.

Valuable information! Thanks!
beforewisdom

PreviousNext

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating