Favorite Kale meal?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Favorite Kale meal?

Postby Talyn » Tue May 08, 2012 7:29 pm

Konstantin wrote:Has does someone post withou having a profile or pm facility?

Wizards can do as they please.

On topic: I second kale chips. I made a big batch the other day mixed in with some seaweed.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby gabrielxxx » Tue May 08, 2012 10:20 pm

Roll the leaves up like a huge sushi, cut in thin strips.

Fire up the stove with some oil or fake butter, garlic cut into cubes and onion cut into strips.

Add the kale and stir-fry, then serve with black beans and rice.

Add salt if desired while still on the heat.
gabrielxxx

Postby osric » Wed May 09, 2012 12:15 am

I sautee kale (or chard or collards if there's no kale at the store) with garlic and onions, spice it up with some cumin and chili powder, add some kind of beans (usually black beans) and then serve it over rice. The leftovers just get all mixed together and make a yummy lunch, hot or cold.

I steam big dragon kale leaves and use them as wraps for whatever I have in the fridge (especially useful if I need to pack a lunch).

I find kale too chewy to eat in a salad, so I stick to spinach there.
"Persistence is your greatest weapon." - Quentin Crisp
osric

Postby JO » Wed May 09, 2012 2:36 am

Not a fan of sautee-ing because I'm superstitious, but you can heat up a bit of olive oil, then garlic and cayenne and ginger, then cubed tofu, then dump a bunch of kale on top. Reduce heat, cover and then cook until kale is bright green. That's a good one.

Preference is to cut up kale or collards or chard (or all combined) with stems at the bottom of the pot, put in half-inch water medium heat and load pot according to density (usually collard and kale stems chopped up, then chopped up leaves.... Like to add nice mushrooms (nice vice from I think it's mycopia.com in the US) and tofu and ginger and garlic and cayenne. Tamari usually isn't necessary unless you know you need to the salt. Tofu and/or legumes (white, azuki, lentils, black, red ... what ever) as preferred/needed.
Kinetic-corporeal joy is known to ALL creatures.
JO

Postby BlueRose » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:58 pm

vincentxanthony wrote:I'm partial to lightly oiled and sauteed kale with thinly sliced garlic, but I'm looking for more things to do with kale. Do you like chips, or make a salad?

Love kale chips with a bit of nutritional yeast, also love it lightly steamed with some lemon juice and Himalayan salt.

I've also sauteed it with other veggies (adding the kale dead last and not overcooking it!) with coconut oil.
rational romantic mystic cynical idealist.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421637141388613/

Doing Les Mills Combat and loving it!
http://www.TeaAddictedGeek.com
BlueRose

Postby ColleenE » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:24 pm

lobsteriffic wrote:I make kale chips in the oven with nutritional yeast and garlic powder and a bit of salt.

I really like massaged kale salads. I mash up some avocado and then massage it into the kale leaves.

Mostly though I just sautee the kale with some garlic, like you already said.

Can I get that recipe for kale chips? I'm new to kale and HATE IT right now. Haha I need a way to get it down:)
ColleenE

Postby BlueRose » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:27 pm

ColleenE wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:I make kale chips in the oven with nutritional yeast and garlic powder and a bit of salt.

I really like massaged kale salads. I mash up some avocado and then massage it into the kale leaves.

Mostly though I just sautee the kale with some garlic, like you already said.

Can I get that recipe for kale chips? I'm new to kale and HATE IT right now. Haha I need a way to get it down:)

It's so easy it's not even a recipe, honestly. Preheat oven to 375 (sometimes 380-400 works better), spread pieces of kale on a baking sheet. Bake for 7, stir, then bake for another 7-10. Voila! Then add salt, nutritional yeast, garlic powder...whatever you like. :)
rational romantic mystic cynical idealist.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421637141388613/

Doing Les Mills Combat and loving it!
http://www.TeaAddictedGeek.com
BlueRose

Postby Webb » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:58 pm

osric wrote:I sautee kale (or chard or collards if there's no kale at the store) with garlic and onions, spice it up with some cumin and chili powder, add some kind of beans (usually black beans) and then serve it over rice. The leftovers just get all mixed together and make a yummy lunch, hot or cold.

I make a very similar dish with tomatoes in it. I prepare the beans as a separate dish, but this sounds good. I definitely agree about the leftovers too.
Webb

Postby ColleenE » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:48 am

BlueRose wrote:
It's so easy it's not even a recipe, honestly. Preheat oven to 375 (sometimes 380-400 works better), spread pieces of kale on a baking sheet. Bake for 7, stir, then bake for another 7-10. Voila! Then add salt, nutritional yeast, garlic powder...whatever you like. :)

Thank you! This does sound more palatable that what I've been eating :wink:
ColleenE

Postby alexander » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:46 am

I love plain kale chips, especially with the combination of salad.
Always desire to learn something useful.

- Sophocles
alexander

Previous

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating