Calories?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Calories?

Postby mtns » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:39 pm

I have a question about how many calories I need to lose these last 9 lbs. I am a female and I weigh 144lbs. I lift heavy weights 45 min. 4 days a week along with 35-40 min. interval cardio and on the other 2 days I do straight cardio. I burn between 600-700 cal. those 6 days a week. Anyway I have been eating around 1500 cal. for a while now and have not lost anything. I would appreciate some help. Thanks.
Kathy
mtns

Re: Calories?

Postby wannalift » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:14 pm

What exactly do you eat though? Post everything that you eat/drink in a typical day/week. Also, how long is "a while"?
Are you doing enough to be the best?
wannalift

Postby mtns » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:57 pm

I have been trying to lose this last 9 lbs. for about 4 months. I started lifting heavy weights about the end of December. I am noticing some more muscle, I just can't seem to lose the rest of this weight around my stomach. This is what I typically eat.
By the way, I am 5'7

B: 1/2- 1/4 c.(dry measure) Oatmeal with 1/4c. pumpkin, 13 raisins and a little stevia.
2B: on days when I workout early I will eat the 1/4c. oatmeal before I leave and then have a green smoothie with spinach, sun warrior protein powder, and 1 c. blueberries.

L: Ususally a big salad with a homemade dressing ( no oil, if I don't have a protien I will add garbanzo beans to my salad), usually mexican food, hashbrowns, potatoes, or sweet potatoes, or homemade soup

S: is either my green smoothie if I didn't have it for breakfast, or an apple with a rice cake and a 1 tbsp. natural peanut butter or sweet potato

D: is usually the same as lunch. I ususally have leftovers from dinner for lunch. Once week I have stirfry with tofu and rice. I also like to make black bean burgers too. Then I usually have some sort of veggie.
S: is usually 1/4-1/2 c. oatmeal or banana ice cream

S:is
mtns

Postby beforewisdom » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:59 pm

There are 3500 calories in a pound.
If you want to lose a pound a week, you need to create a deficit of 500 calories a day, either by taking in less energy ( eating less ) , expending more energy ( moving, exercise ) or both.

If you limit yourself to losing only 1 pound a week, you reduce the possibility of muscle loss, which means when you get to your goal weight it is more likely you will be firm instead of thinner and flabby.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby wannalift » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:45 pm

mtns wrote:I have been trying to lose this last 9 lbs. for about 4 months. I started lifting heavy weights about the end of December. I am noticing some more muscle, I just can't seem to lose the rest of this weight around my stomach. This is what I typically eat.
By the way, I am 5'7

B: 1/2- 1/4 c.(dry measure) Oatmeal with 1/4c. pumpkin, 13 raisins and a little stevia.
2B: on days when I workout early I will eat the 1/4c. oatmeal before I leave and then have a green smoothie with spinach, sun warrior protein powder, and 1 c. blueberries.

L: Ususally a big salad with a homemade dressing ( no oil, if I don't have a protien I will add garbanzo beans to my salad), usually mexican food, hashbrowns, potatoes, or sweet potatoes, or homemade soup

S: is either my green smoothie if I didn't have it for breakfast, or an apple with a rice cake and a 1 tbsp. natural peanut butter or sweet potato

D: is usually the same as lunch. I ususally have leftovers from dinner for lunch. Once week I have stirfry with tofu and rice. I also like to make black bean burgers too. Then I usually have some sort of veggie.
S: is usually 1/4-1/2 c. oatmeal or banana ice cream
S:is

My take:

- I think it's possible you are underestimating your calories at least somewhat. It looks like your breakfast and late night snack add up to over 600 calories and maybe 700 on their own. Do you have soy milk with this as well? (BTW, I don't necessarily think 600 calories is a high number).
- Your diet is heavy on the carbohydrates. You should consider drastically reducing your carbohydrate intake after lunch. Maybe 1 small sweet potato, but axe the rice, bun and or oatmeal after lunch.
- Consider making stirfry tofu with veggies more often and eating that instead.
- Nothing wrong with 2 protein shakes a day. You should strongly consider adding in flax oil or coconut milk or chia seeds to your shake(s) as well.
- Your diet is also low on healthy fats. See above. Try to get omega fats from flax oil, chia seeds and DHA. Replace some of your carbs with fats.
- Ice cream is just frozen sugar water. Toss it.
- Cardio - 35-45 minutes is long for an interval session. How hard are you working? Interval lengths?
wannalift

Postby mtns » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:39 am

Wannalift, I like your suggestions. I just get confused as to what to eat after night. I like the stirfy idea, but I don't know if I just eat beans and veggies at night and what kind of stuff should I be eating for snacks? I do like to have a small snack at nighttime. Sometimes if I am hungry at night time, I will eat 1/2 c. oatmeal before bed, I know I shouldn't. Most of the time it may be 1/4 c. But I know I should choose a better option, so I would love some ideas.

As far as the intervals go. I do the stationary bike, the treadmill and the ellliptical. Like when I do the bike, I do 2 min. standing ride (25 level) then I take it down to a 11 and ride fast at 106 mph for 2 min. then pedal slow and bring down my heart rate for 1 min. and then start the interval again. My heart rate according to the bike will spike at 160, but then go back down between 136-145.
I do similar on the elliptical
On the treadmill, I usually do 4 min. walking uphill incline at 13.0 then take it back down, walk for 1 min. Then run at a 6.0 for 2 min. and if I have energy that day run for 1 min. at a 7.5, then walk 1 min. Then I repeat the cycle until I have reached 35-40 min.

I really really appreciate the time you have taken to answer my posts and to help me out. Thanks, Kathy
mtns

Postby wannalift » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:16 pm

mtns wrote:Wannalift, I like your suggestions. I just get confused as to what to eat after night. I like the stirfy idea, but I don't know if I just eat beans and veggies at night and what kind of stuff should I be eating for snacks? I do like to have a small snack at nighttime. Sometimes if I am hungry at night time, I will eat 1/2 c. oatmeal before bed, I know I shouldn't. Most of the time it may be 1/4 c. But I know I should choose a better option, so I would love some ideas.

As for late night food or snacks, think protein and fats. Have a protein shake with flax oil or shredded (or milk) coconut. Almonds are really good for you and good for a snack. Just try to avoid most carbohydrates and especially don't have any white breads or white rice EVER. Hopefully you are not drinking unnecessary calories (sugar) as well. Honestly, I know that if you get more fats and proteins in your diet you will feel less hungry at night. I have been following close to a zone diet (30/30/40 protein/fats/carbs) lately and have seen very favorable results in my waistline, body fat, strength, well-being and just about everything while actually slightly increasing my overall caloric intake (I track everything on a spreadsheet). I used to believe that a calorie is a calorie, but my body says differently. I definitely perform better with more protein and more fats in my diet.

mtns wrote:As far as the intervals go. I do the stationary bike, the treadmill and the ellliptical. Like when I do the bike, I do 2 min. standing ride (25 level) then I take it down to a 11 and ride fast at 106 mph for 2 min. then pedal slow and bring down my heart rate for 1 min. and then start the interval again. My heart rate according to the bike will spike at 160, but then go back down between 136-145.
I do similar on the elliptical
On the treadmill, I usually do 4 min. walking uphill incline at 13.0 then take it back down, walk for 1 min. Then run at a 6.0 for 2 min. and if I have energy that day run for 1 min. at a 7.5, then walk 1 min. Then I repeat the cycle until I have reached 35-40 min.

I really really appreciate the time you have taken to answer my posts and to help me out. Thanks, Kathy

Meh, I don't really like that cardio routine. Have you ever considered doing more intense intervals? High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). Go ALL OUT for 15-30 seconds on the stationary bike at a very high resistance level and then go very light for 90 seconds or so. Do 8-10 of these intervals, but they need to be HARD and you should feel almost sick when you are done. Only do this 2-3 times a week. You can do moderate steady-state cardio on the other days or try varying the length of the intervals. The most effective intervals though are those that mimic sprinting time/efforts.

Another good idea for cardio are metcons. A lot of people on this board do them including me. Similar to CrossFit WOD's, but less of an idea of trying to be a jack of all trades. Try something like 20 kettlebell swings followed by 10-15 pushups (feet or knees) and 10 1-armed rows (each arm). Do those 1 after another and repeat for 5 rounds. Should take about 8-12 minutes and you should only take very short breaks during the metcon. There are an infinite number of exercises you can program in here. Here are the 3 I do per week (5 rounds of each):

- Deadlift x 5, Plyo lunge jump x 5 (each leg), 1-armed row x10 (each leg)
- Pull up x 7, Sumo deadlift to high pull x 7, kettlebell swing x 10
- Bear complex (google for that).

Those are fantastic cardio workouts and you will definitely shred body fat on them (among other improvements you will notice). I use them as a finisher at the end of my strength workouts on Sun, Wed, Fri. Hope that helps.
wannalift

Postby mtns » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:39 pm

Thanks so much for your help. I am going to try your tips. I did do the HIIt workout this morning, but I did it on the treadmill. I didn't think it would be that tough but it really was. I also did a couple of the other sets you recommended. I felt like I got a great workout. Thanks. I think you right about my diet that I need to add more protein and fat. I was thinking about it and when I eat my stirfy, I ususally don't add much rice, but mostly tofu and veggies and I am stuffed. So I know I could easily eliminate the rice at night. I don't eat anything white at all. I only eat the whole foods and I only drink water, except for my protein smoothies. Thanks again. I will try this out and let you know how it goes.
Kathy
mtns

Postby wannalift » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:38 pm

mtns wrote:Thanks so much for your help. I am going to try your tips. I did do the HIIt workout this morning, but I did it on the treadmill. I didn't think it would be that tough but it really was. I also did a couple of the other sets you recommended. I felt like I got a great workout. Thanks. I think you right about my diet that I need to add more protein and fat. I was thinking about it and when I eat my stirfy, I ususally don't add much rice, but mostly tofu and veggies and I am stuffed. So I know I could easily eliminate the rice at night. I don't eat anything white at all. I only eat the whole foods and I only drink water, except for my protein smoothies. Thanks again. I will try this out and let you know how it goes.
Kathy

Sounds good. Just remember to make the proper substitutions to your diet and exercise routine instead of just adding more food and or more exercise. Add in those metcons, but consider streamlining your strength training routine slightly. Most important thing to take home is getting the essential fats into your diet. I wish every veg person would do this as it would solve so many headaches and eliminate the need to going back to eating fish that so many people seem to develop out of ignorance.
wannalift

Postby Promesas » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:37 am

wannalift wrote:
mtns wrote:Thanks so much for your help. I am going to try your tips. I did do the HIIt workout this morning, but I did it on the treadmill. I didn't think it would be that tough but it really was. I also did a couple of the other sets you recommended. I felt like I got a great workout. Thanks. I think you right about my diet that I need to add more protein and fat. I was thinking about it and when I eat my stirfy, I ususally don't add much rice, but mostly tofu and veggies and I am stuffed. So I know I could easily eliminate the rice at night. I don't eat anything white at all. I only eat the whole foods and I only drink water, except for my protein smoothies. Thanks again. I will try this out and let you know how it goes.
Kathy

Sounds good. Just remember to make the proper substitutions to your diet and exercise routine instead of just adding more food and or more exercise. Add in those metcons, but consider streamlining your strength training routine slightly. Most important thing to take home is getting the essential fats into your diet. I wish every veg person would do this as it would solve so many headaches and eliminate the need to going back to eating fish that so many people seem to develop out of ignorance.

While I will never flame a fellow compassionate vegan, your carbophobic attitude is unnecessary and counterproductive. Restricting carb intake after a certain time of the day will have absolutely no effect whatsoever on weight loss. This has been proven in study after study. High intake of fats in the form of oil, nuts, tofu etc is probably what the OP should be really address as , while I agree fats are necessary, fats contain double the amount of calories per gram than protein and carbs do. Fats do not fill the stomach as efficiently as protein and carbs also. I lost 40kg in 9 months with the majority of my caloric intake being in the form of potatoes, noodles and bananas. I created daily caloric deficit and kept fat intake low. I am now lean and ripped, which I think would also work for OP.
"It's my humble assertion that the best way to lower your cholesterol is: stop eating it"
-Dr Michael Klaper
Promesas

Postby wannalift » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:18 am

Promesas wrote:While I will never flame a fellow compassionate vegan, your carbophobic attitude is unnecessary and counterproductive. Restricting carb intake after a certain time of the day will have absolutely no effect whatsoever on weight loss. This has been proven in study after study.

How is it counterproductive? No one is advocating Atkins, but a lot of people have more favorable results with lower carbohydrates. Restricting carbohydrates later in the day will ensure that one doesn't eat as many and thus are eating more fats & proteins. Why don't you post the studies that prove null? Here is a study where it was absolutely proven that the protein/fat/carb ratio made a difference: http://phdres.caregate.net/curriculum/pdf-files/nejm2k3-2074.pdf

Greene et al. studied participants consuming one of three diet regimens over 12 weeks: a low-fat diet, a low-carbohydrate diet with the same number of calories, and a low-carbohydrate diet with 300 extra calories per day.[37] The researchers found that the low fat group lost 17 pounds on average, the low carbohydrate group eating the same number of calories lost 23 pounds, and the low-carbohydrate group eating more calories lost 20 pounds.

Like it or not, those are the results. In my own experience, and I am super meticulous and keep track of everything, I can eat more food with a better body composition with a lower carbohydrate diet despite eating more calories. A lot of people report the same result and say that they feel better. Are they all wrong?

Promesas wrote:High intake of fats in the form of oil, nuts, tofu etc is probably what the OP should be really address as , while I agree fats are necessary, fats contain double the amount of calories per gram than protein and carbs do. Fats do not fill the stomach as efficiently as protein and carbs also. I lost 40kg in 9 months with the majority of my caloric intake being in the form of potatoes, noodles and bananas. I created daily caloric deficit and kept fat intake low. I am now lean and ripped, which I think would also work for OP.

That's fine. I'm glad it worked for you. Do you think it will work for everyone? The OP already tried that approach and did not find success. Similarly, I found that when I tried to lower my overall calories with a moderate carb/protein ratio it had a really negative effect on my lean muscle mass. Now that I am closer to a 30/30/40 ratio I can get better results in terms of body fat reduction without much of a reduction in my overall calories. How many carbohydrates do we really need in a day? I already get 250-300 grams per day. Is that not enough? Perhaps when the OP reports back in a couple weeks with more positive results you might reconsider.

Edit: Also, you kind of already answered the question yourself. You agree that the OP needs more fats in her diet, but the question is how to substitute in without increasing overall calories? There are 3 choices:

1. Reduce fat? Circular logic there.
2. Reduce protein? Why on earth would anyone want to do that?
3. Reduce carbohydrates? Seems like the most logical choice to add healthy fats and keep calorie intake neutral.
wannalift

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating