[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
• View topic - A Drink Higher In Antioxidants Than Coffee, Tea or Roobios

A Drink Higher In Antioxidants Than Coffee, Tea or Roobios

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

A Drink Higher In Antioxidants Than Coffee, Tea or Roobios

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:31 pm

I think this is far from a guarantee of results of any kind, but it is fascinating. This short video by Dr. Greger compares the antioxidant content of various popular drinks. The rankings are a bit of a surprise and very interesting.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niL4daPfsx0[/youtube]

the video blog post

the communicant written blog post

Hibiscus punch anyone?
beforewisdom

Re: A Drink Higher In Antioxidants Than Coffee, Tea or Roobi

Postby Fallen_Horse » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:17 pm

I like his videos, and the big recent antioxidant study has been useful, but I really wish he would list all of the sources he uses in his videos. There is no way in hell I am drinking Celestial Seasonings instead of matcha and whole-leaf white teas. In the big recent study, for example, there are dozens of green tea's tested, and they range in scores from 0.57 in Chinese monkey green tea to 1347 in Japanese (pink) green powder tea. Now, what those are I don't even know. But I do know that Celestial Seasonings is powdered nonsense tea. HOWEVER, I would imagine that full hibiscus leaves are definitely healthy, and I could see them defeating matcha for antioxidant power. I just put in an order for 1lb organic hibiscus leaves. Gonna try that in my teas and smoothies. It's a great price and (apparently) very healthy, so it makes a good addition to a healthy diet!

Thanks for the conversation starter :D

http://www.amazon.com/Davidsons-Tea-Organic-Hibiscus-16-Ounce/dp/B004PEK9F8
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby baldy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:47 pm

Isn't the debate about the level of antioxidants which is useful to your buddy. As far as I understood, the studies showed too high levels of antioxidants cause also be dangerous?
So maybe not a case of more antioxidants = more health.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:09 pm

[quote="Fallen_Horse"]I like his videos, and the big recent antioxidant study has been useful, but I really wish he would list all of the sources he uses in his videos.

He has a video blog and a text blog. You can get a mixed feed for both so you can read the details which you are not going to get watching the video. In the original post is a link to the video post and the written post.
beforewisdom

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:09 pm

[quote="baldy"]Isn't the debate about the level of antioxidants which is useful to your buddy.

I sort of feel like I am my body, so I can't be me own buddy :)
beforewisdom

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:13 pm

[quote="Fallen_Horse"] I just put in an order for 1lb organic hibiscus leaves. Gonna try that in my teas and smoothies. It's a great price and (apparently) very healthy, so it makes a good addition to a healthy diet!

I have a number of stores near me where I can buy spices and herbs from bulk jars. I just picked up some straight hisbiscus. Yes, I remember Celestial Seasonings from my teen years as having no taste. I would think that in your area there would be at least one herb store so you wouldn't have to take the hit on shipping charges from Amazon.
beforewisdom

Postby baldy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:41 pm

[quote="beforewisdom"][quote="baldy"]Isn't the debate about the level of antioxidants which is useful to your buddy.

I sort of feel like I am my body, so I can't be me own buddy :)

I shouldn't post when I am tired :) Maybe I need more antioxidants?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:17 pm

Pour yourself some hibiscus infusion :)
beforewisdom

Postby beforewisdom » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:57 pm

[quote="Fallen_Horse"]I like his videos, and the big recent antioxidant study has been useful, but I really wish he would list all of the sources he uses in his videos.

I missed seeing this myself, but in the blog post of each of his video there is a "tags" section under the video and underneath that is a "Sources Cited" tree menu node, that once clicked, will make visible the "sources cited".
beforewisdom

Postby vCLaW » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:21 pm

The study cited has no mention of hibiscus.
vCLaW

Postby israel » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:02 pm

Very intersting

I try to get rid of acne i got - so i wanted to try antioxidants against it which is suppose to help

so i went crazy to eat things that have antioxidants :

it said that tanin prevents iron to be absorbed so i didnt really on that

so i was more in to the solid antioxidant foods which seem to have more than the drinks -

so i ate tons of antiopxidants - but had no improvment ( but i take antibiotics wich kills bactria in the gut so i might have not gotten the nutriants because of this)

dark chocolate has crazy amounts and also red beans

and than there is the thing that baldy said : that in big amounts it might do harm or at least not be good

anyway this is very intersting - i might try it for the acne
israel

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating