Harvard: Milk Is NOT Part Of A Healthy Diet

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Harvard: Milk Is NOT Part Of A Healthy Diet

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:19 pm

[quote]
The Harvard School of Public Health sent a strong message to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and nutrition experts everywhere with the recent release of its “Healthy Eating Plate” food guide. The university was responding to the USDA’s new MyPlate guide for healthy eating, which replaced the outdated and misguided food pyramid.

Harvard’s nutrition experts did not pull punches, declaring that the university’s food guide was based on sound nutrition research and more importantly, not influenced by food industry lobbyists. The greatest evidence of its research focus is the absence of dairy products from the “Healthy Eating Plate” based on Harvard’s assessment that “…high intake can increase the risk of prostate cancer and possibly ovarian cancer.” The Harvard experts also referred to the high levels of saturated fat in most dairy products and suggested that collards, bok choy, fortified soy milk, and baked beans are safer choices than dairy for obtaining calcium, as are high quality supplements.

Read More
beforewisdom

Re: Harvard: Milk Is NOT Part Of A Healthy Diet

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:41 pm

Awesome. I will be quoting/reposting this.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby DB » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:07 pm

Not totally absent, they recommend limiting dairy to 1 or 2 servings per day. Still an improvement over the USDA MyPlate.
DB

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:34 pm

[quote="DB"]Not totally absent, they recommend limiting dairy to 1 or 2 servings per day. Still an improvement over the USDA MyPlate.

It is a huge switch from listing something as a substantial and essential element of a healthy diet to something that is *tolerated*, in limited qualities in a healthy diet.
beforewisdom

Postby blinki » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:37 pm

I saw it elsewhere and missed the limiting milk because I got excited by it seeming to say I can drink as much tea and coffee as I want without it being unhealthy
blinki

Postby sergio » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:51 pm

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionso ... index.html

I guess this is the original source.
I accidentally replaced all of my blood with coffee.
sergio

Postby DB » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:11 am

[quote="beforewisdom"][quote="DB"]Not totally absent, they recommend limiting dairy to 1 or 2 servings per day. Still an improvement over the USDA MyPlate.

It is a huge switch from listing something as a substantial and essential element of a healthy diet to something that is *tolerated*, in limited qualities in a healthy diet.

True dat
DB

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating