Soaking your nuts and grains

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Soaking your nuts and grains

Postby Koa » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:07 am

Any tips on soaking nuts and seeds?

So far I've soaked almonds and walnuts overnight, patted them dry and stored them in the fridge. Of course, they are not as crunchy as before.

Found this about additional roasting:

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/200 ... -nuts.html
Squat - 170kg
DL - 200kg
BP - 110kg
OHP - 75kg

"How can you run when you know" -Neil Young
Koa

Re: Soaking your nuts and grains

Postby baldy » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:58 am

Resists the argue to make smutty comments about soaking his nuts in a warm bath then patting them dry with a soft towel.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Koa » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:20 am

I knew this would come ... :D
Squat - 170kg
DL - 200kg
BP - 110kg
OHP - 75kg

Koa

Postby ninearms » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:51 am

That's what Baldy said.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:17 pm

I do what baldy does, but with more hair, and overnight.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Talyn » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:44 pm

I prefer my nuts hard and crunchy.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby beforewisdom » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:18 pm

I could have beat everyone to this joke, but I decided not too. Just the kind of guy I am.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:53 pm

I didn't read the OP correctly, I thought this was about soaking beans. Why the heck would you want to soak your nuts? Nuts raw from the flesh are satisfyingly crunchy just the way they are. Why would you want wet nuts to then have to roast? Is this a continental thing?
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby beforewisdom » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:56 pm

xrodolfox wrote:I didn't read the OP correctly, I thought this was about soaking beans. Why the heck would you want to soak your nuts? Nuts raw from the flesh are satisfyingly crunchy just the way they are. Why would you want wet nuts to then have to roast? Is this a continental thing?

Enough with the innuendo!

beforewisdom

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:53 pm

I am speaking about nuts. The ones that you and I could put in our mouth and eat. Nuts like almonds that originate from large hairy peaches or bald nectarines. I am unsure of the innuendo you speak of.
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Koa » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:06 pm

Supposedly you remove at least some of the phytates as well as activate the enzymes i.e. transform it into a "life" food.
Squat - 170kg
DL - 200kg
BP - 110kg
OHP - 75kg

Koa

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:18 pm

oh!
The OP is talking about *sprouting* the nuts/seeds.
That's different than simply soaking, right?
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby dublin dave » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:22 pm

What is a "life" food?
dublin dave

Postby beforewisdom » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:25 pm

It is a concept from raw foodism, a folk diet. Raw foodists have the belief ( not supported by biochemistry ) that raw foods contain enzymes that cooked foods do not and that if such raw foods are consumed those enzymes will survive digestion and benefit a human body. Raw foodists refer to raw foods, where the enzymes have not been destroyed as "living foods".

beforewisdom

Postby Koa » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:37 pm

We are not raw foodists btw. I first came across this concept in Brendan Frazier's book. I am mainly interested in removing the phytates.

In particular with almonds you will notice they become sweeter especially when you remove the skin after soaking.

Sprouting would probably even go further and take more time. We only do a small amount and consume them within a couple of days.
Squat - 170kg
DL - 200kg
BP - 110kg
OHP - 75kg

Koa

Next

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating