Thyroid Issues And Still Eating Soy?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Thyroid Issues And Still Eating Soy?

Postby beforewisdom » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:40 am

I was having a conversation with some people about the anti-soy hysteria. The point came up more experts are publishing opinions that unless someone has an allergy or a thyroid issue that consuming a moderate amount of soy isn't a problem. When that point came up a few vegans with thyroid issues mentioned that they still ate soy, they just told their doctors who monitor and adjust their thyroid medicine. I thought that was interesting.

Does anyone here have a thyroid issue and still eat soy regularly?
beforewisdom

Re: Thyroid Issues And Still Eating Soy?

Postby thestoatyone » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:10 pm

I think Kalibaby has a thyroid issue (I don't think she has one actually)
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby powerlifer » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:14 pm

I used to be hypothyroid and still ate soy semi-regularly.

As long as your iodine intake is sufficient then goitrogens really are of no issue unless taken in large amounts like some raw people do with juicing, smoothies and just in general lots of raw goitrogenic greens.
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
http://www.amlaberry.co.uk
powerlifer

Postby Rach » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:15 pm

Yes I don't have a thyroid gland.When I became vegan I hammered the soy and my hypothyroid symptoms returned, confirmed by lab test. Since then, I have cautiously reintroduced it, it's an occasional feature in my diet and this seems to be okay.
Rach

Postby beforewisdom » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:49 pm

FWIW, I started a similar thread on another forum and that thread had many replies. Many vegans with compromised thyroids, on thyroid medication, still regularly eat soy and their doctors don't have a problem with it at all. The only concern of their doctors is that they don't eat anything until an hour has passed after taking their medication.

Maybe this whole thing thyroid disease necessitating abstention from soy consumption is Internet folklore.
beforewisdom

Postby powerlifer » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:31 pm

The whole effect of goitrogenic foods is to suppress thyroid function by interfering with the thyroids uptake of the mineral iodine. This is why some can eat large amounts of goitrogenic foods with no issue, whilst others have problems with even small amounts.

Low dietary iodine intake exacerbates the effect of goitrogens.
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
http://www.amlaberry.co.uk
powerlifer

Postby roper » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:54 am

My wife is hypothyroid and we eat and drink soy. Not huge amounts but she has not noticed any problems. Each thyroid problem seems to be individual to each person so it would be worth keeping watch. At the same time I suspect there is a certain amount of myth or exageration too.
roper

Postby Mufflon » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:19 pm

Right. A lot of negative propaganda. After all there are more foods that influence the thyroid. Many cruciferous vegetables for example. Nobody wails about the effects of kale or cabbage on the thyroid gland.
Mufflon

Postby beforewisdom » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:05 pm

Cabbage isn't threatening meat or dairy profits. I doubt the people who spread FUD about soy get any cabbage in their diets outside of the occasional sauerkraut on their hotdogs.
beforewisdom

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating