Clif Bars: Not Suitable

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Clif Bars: Not Suitable

Postby vegansludge » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:28 pm

[quote="Fallen_Horse"]I don't give two craps about fat, but I DO care about processed fat and added sugars, both of which Clif products tend to have too much of.

For example, the standard chocolate chip Clif bar has 23g of of sugar (from brown rice syrup and cane juice) out of a 68g bar. That means that 34% of the mass of the bar is pure sugar! Considering how high the processed sugar intake is for most people (even vegans), I think it's something to be wary of.

Personally, I agree with this - I only eat Builders when I'm in a pinch for time since they've started carrying them at convenience stores in the states. I wish that the Simply Bar was more widely available as the macros on those are much more ideal.
vegansludge

Postby xrodolfox » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:25 pm

I don't eat too many cliff bars as it is, and there certainly things that will have me eating less... but:
[quote="beforewisdom"]Aren't you concerned about your cardiovascular health?

Is not one of those.

No. I do not care about saturated fats at all. Not even one bit. Why, because since I rarely eat any saturated fats as it is, and since every indication on my health tests show utter top end cardiovascular health, I am not at all worried.

I didn't go vegan for health reasons, and I rarely avoid products for health reasons. I avoid products because they aren't ethical, or aren't foods. My health is a bonus. Frankly, my goal is racing fitness, which is also different than "health". So while a product being chock full of saturated fats might worry some folks, I could care less. If you told me that Cliff bar abused their workers, or that their palm oil was from the areas that were deforesting forests, it'd be a different story (and one that I would need to check).

In fact, I'm going to have myself a Cliff bar now. I rarely pack food, and today I just happened to pack a snack. Coconut Chocolate. Yum.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby thestoatyone » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:59 pm

Although I agree with FH on that at least; sugar is sugar and 23g in one sitting is not that clever. On the other hand good for bulking...
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby knackers » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:12 am

Saturated fat doesnt bother me much,

The thing that would bother me the most with clif bars if anything is where they get their non-organic soybeans from for which they derive there soy protein isolate, big chance it is GMO as its not organic and 95+% of soybeans in the U.S are G.M.O. Although they say they are non G.M.O the jury is out on that one.

The other thing is they soak their beans in hexane to separate the soy protein isolate.

Hexane is a dangerous neurotoxin, although clif claim that no hexane is left on the finished product, independent studies have shown it to be present.

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/ebx/how-organic-is-organic/Content?oid=2335242

In saying all of this, I just finished off eating 2 of them....

How far do you go??
“Animals do have a voice. If you ignore their suffering, I will remind you of it. If you don't understand them, I will translate. If you don't hear them, I will be their voice. You may silence them but you cannot silence me as long as I live.” ~ Anita Mahdessian (C
knackers

Postby Goob » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:56 pm

[quote="loveliberate"]Of curiousity, what do Builders bars go for wherever you are? Here in the usa, an average cost is about us$1.75 though I have bought them as cheaply as .40 (on sale & using a coupon at the same time.)

On a related note, it would be lovely if there was a website that listed the average prices of common vegan products in countries around the world and/or one that listed where such products were on sale or otherwise available cheaply! :D

I usually get a box of 6 for $8 or $1.59 bought individually. I did see that there are cases of 20 for $18.99 at sams club when I went with my brother the other day. I would have got a bunch, but it's mixed flavors and i only like the peanut butter ones and tolerate the mint ones. Also, I find them for a quarter each at a local surplus food store sometimes. They buy whatever is left on the delivery trucks at the end of their route, so it's not a very reliable source for anything, but sometimes places like that get some good stuff and it's crazy cheap.
[quote="Mikhail Koklyaev"]Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby muchluv » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:33 pm

Box of Peppermint chocolate ones came the other day! So tasty, first time I'd tried them. Pity they're so expensive :(. Also the hexane thing sucks
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby VegChick » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:50 pm

I'd say, this has me interested in learning more, but not enough to stop eating my daily Luna bar as my after dinner treat. I am healthy and strive to eat as clean and organic as possible, but more research and information is needed before I simply give up a brand of bars I enjoy. (Not to mention the holiday Clif bars are awesome)
VegChick

Postby ha » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:17 am

# Good book to read on the subject and full of vegan recipes that taste great and support athletic excellence and heart health.

Ive found when people increase cals from their fav carbs be it rice, fruit, corn, oats, spuds etc then its MEGA EASY to cut down or eliminate oil, fried vegan food etc.

Its not about starving, its about caloric sufficiency from the good stuff so we dont want the less than good stuff.

# Palm oil: Ive cycled Singapore to Malaysia and its palm oil for about 1000km literally. Still WAY better than Australia that has most of its forrest chopped for meat and dairy.

Some trees is better than no trees. Still, we dont need that much palm oil lol!
raw vegan banana case that has cycled over 190 000km cycled as a vegan.

y - youtube.com/durianriders
f - facebook.com/durianrider
t - twitter.com/durianryder
b - durianrider.org
w - 30bananasaday.com

Drink up, carb up, sleep up... cos everyday is the day to live it up!
ha

Postby JP » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:37 am

[quote="ha"]
# Palm oil: Ive cycled Singapore to Malaysia and its palm oil for about 1000km literally. Still WAY better than Australia that has most of its forrest chopped for meat and dairy.

Some trees is better than no trees. Still, we dont need that much palm oil lol!

hey thats a great argument if a meat eating palm oil activist (like some in greenpeace) comes along, ill use that :)
JP
Site Admin

Postby xJimx » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:02 pm

Saw Clif Bars in Tesco the other day. Stupidly expensive though.
DYEL
xJimx

Postby ha » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:50 pm

Since 1970, 90% of the amazon has been chopped down to grow soy/corn to feed LIVESTOCK. Even more is getting chopped down now to make room for 'grass fed' animals.

92% of Australia's land destruction is due to meat and dairy industry according to our national science body the CSIRO. The biggest usage of water in Australia is dairy production.

For me palm oil aint good enviroNmentally but we got WAY bigger things to focus on. Its like focusing on the cracked rear view mirror when your cars chassis is cracking apart.
raw vegan banana case that has cycled over 190 000km cycled as a vegan.

y - youtube.com/durianriders
f - facebook.com/durianrider
t - twitter.com/durianryder
b - durianrider.org
w - 30bananasaday.com

Drink up, carb up, sleep up... cos everyday is the day to live it up!
ha

Postby thestoatyone » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:54 pm

[quote="ha"]Since 1970, 90% of the amazon has been chopped down to grow soy/corn to feed LIVESTOCK. Even more is getting chopped down now to make room for 'grass fed' animals.

92% of Australia's land destruction is due to meat and dairy industry according to our national science body the CSIRO. The biggest usage of water in Australia is dairy production.

For me palm oil aint good enviroNmentally but we got WAY bigger things to focus on. Its like focusing on the cracked rear view mirror when your cars chassis is cracking apart.

Top post there Ha!
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby tellygonebung » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:18 pm

I know their website says "no animal ingredients, so therefore vegan friendly"

Does this include the vitamins and minerals sources too?

I can't get them to answer that question, anyone got a reply?
tellygonebung

Postby beforewisdom » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:17 am

Palm oil growers are tearing down forrests to put up palm tree farms, which are making ortangatangs and other animals go extinct. Clif uses palm kernel oil. They claim they get it from a responsible source, but they had no other details when I asked about that source or what kind of monitoring of their source they do to make sure they really are responsible.

Animal friendly?
beforewisdom

Postby tal » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:55 am

[quote="beforewisdom"]Palm oil growers are tearing down forrests to put up palm tree farms, which are making ortangatangs and other animals go extinct. Clif uses palm kernel oil. They claim they get it from a responsible source, but they had no other details when I asked about that source or what kind of monitoring of their source they do to make sure they really are responsible.

Animal friendly?

Can the same thing not be said for soya?
tal

PreviousNext

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating