Wheat Belly?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Wheat Belly?

Postby Fallen_Horse » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:43 am

Has anyone looked at this book yet? It's all the rage around the paleo blogosphere, and I checked it out in the store. I haven't read it all, but the parts I read were quite well-researched and cited. The basic premise is that the modern wheat plant is terrible for the human body, and that wheat is a major cause of the obesity and modern health problems that we face. I have never been terribly 'anti-wheat', but like I said, the book has been rather convincing so far. Definitely a must-read for someone that wants to get another perspective, and then we could compare notes! :D

http://www.amazon.com/Wheat-Belly-Lose-Weight-Health/dp/1609611543

A review:
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/saturated-fat/wheat-belly/
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Re: Wheat Belly?

Postby Talyn » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:26 pm

I struggle with the part where it implies cutting out wheat means you're going to be in a calorie deficit and therefore losing weight.

Strong fail.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby JP » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:07 pm

remember that being convinced doesnt have much to do with facts, but with writing quality and creating an image of authority.

in reality they use selective evidence and cherry picking favourable evidence which is not really fair...

but hey, makes them rich :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby Fallen_Horse » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:28 pm

JP wrote:remember that being convinced doesnt have much to do with facts, but with writing quality and creating an image of authority.

in reality they use selective evidence and cherry picking favourable evidence which is not really fair...

but hey, makes them rich :D

Well there isn't much to cherry-pick. There have only been a few studies done with focus on the specific chemistry of the modern wheat plant and how it relates to digestion and absorption in the body...
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby JP » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:41 am

i would have thought there has been loads of studies around the subject especially because of things like glutein intolerance or sensitivity, IBS and related digestive problems...

did you verify this claim from somewhere or did the author just say there has not been many studies?
JP
Site Admin

Postby knackers » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:43 am

There have only been a few studies done with focus on the specific chemistry of the modern wheat plant and how it relates to digestion and absorption in the body...

hey can you post these, would be interested to read them
“Animals do have a voice. If you ignore their suffering, I will remind you of it. If you don't understand them, I will translate. If you don't hear them, I will be their voice. You may silence them but you cannot silence me as long as I live.” ~ Anita Mahdessian (C
knackers

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating