Why Do Artificial Sweeteners Exist?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Why Do Artificial Sweeteners Exist?

Postby beforewisdom » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:55 pm

According to this, a teaspoon of table sugar is only about 11 calories:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/sweets/5592/2

I *might* use 2 teaspoons of sugar in very strong tea or other things.

Why is there a need for artificial, "low calorie" sweeteners?

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Re: Why Do Artificial Sweeteners Exist?

Postby blinki » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:58 pm

The sweetners my gran uses is something silly like 0.1 calorie per sweetner which is a big difference percentage wise but not really. I figure it just makes folk feel healthier about it
blinki

Postby Talyn » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:04 pm

based on the amount of diet coke/coke zero i drink whilst cutting, i am VERY glad they exist.

are they necessary though? no, of course not
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:36 pm

This seems a completely strange question.

Artificial sweeteners exist because people pay money to consume them. This is because currently, the economy is dominated by market capitalism, and businesses get a profit form selling consumers products.

Artificial sweeteners exist in the market because people want to eat sweet foods while also not consuming so many calories that they get ill (immediately).

I personally avoid all artificial sweeteners religiously. I wish they would disappear due to the ill health effects on the masses from their consumption. However, I can understand their appeal given that I *love* love love sweets. I have straight up beet sugar or vegan ice cream regularly, or very sweet bananas with sugar, or dates, when I want sweets.

I can't stand spicy foods, but I love sweets. It seems really strange to ask "why do people want sweets when I don't want any". I dislike tea, but when I do I put in at least 5 to 10 spoonfuls of sugar in it. To each their own.

The market works in insane. (part of the reason I don't favor it universally)
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Fallen_Horse » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:16 pm

beforewisdom wrote:I *might* use 2 teaspoons of sugar in very strong tea or other things.

You obviously don't drink tea like some people do. :P

Seriously though, people want to be able to eat whatever they feel like, and with fewer consequences. Speaking as a recent college graduate in the US, most kids these days will pop back 3-4 sodas a day, if not more. This is either 300-400 calories, or 3-5 calories, depending on whether you drink regular or diet. With a culture obsessed with weight loss and being thin, it's not too surprising that people choose the diet versions...
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby beforewisdom » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:31 pm

xrodolfox wrote:This seems a completely strange question.

Your answer seems completely strange, so we have a matched set :)

Artificial sweeteners exist because people pay money to consume them. This is because currently, the economy is dominated by market capitalism, and businesses get a profit form selling consumers products.

Yah, I may be going out on a limb here, but I would say that most of the population of VF is educated well enough to understand the basics of a market economy. Constantly reminding people of that, could be mistakenly perceived as being pretentious, boorish, etc. As the Beatles sang " if you go around carrying pictures of Chairman Mao, you aren't going to make it with anyone, any how...."

My question, put another way, is basically, why do people buy those artificial sweeteners when regular sugar is already low enough in calories not to be an issues with weight management.....with moderate use?

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby kallefs » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:00 pm

Diabetes.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby vCLaW » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:47 pm

Or avoiding the effects of sugar on your teeth. Even if its only a few grams of sugar, it can be affecting you teeth for up to an hour. So not very good to be eating/drinking sugary things between meals.
vCLaW

Postby sergio » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:41 pm

I also think is basically about selling something pretending it's healthier, so people can feel a little better.

Diabetes could be the most logical cause, but I'm afraid reality is quite different. For years I worked serving breakfasts at a coffehouse/bar, I remember how much I laughed about a lot of people asking for sweetener for their coffe... and eating two doughnuts at the same time.
I accidentally replaced all of my blood with coffee.
sergio

Postby fredrikw » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:52 pm

I don't know why you make it this complicated. It exists because people like to eat and drink sweet stuff without the added calories. Comparing teaspoons is only relevant if that's how people eat sugar, look at soft drinks instead and the calories will add up quite quickly. One regular 50cl bottle is about 200kcal, compared with most diet/light/zero drinks which contains almost no calories at all.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:52 pm

xrodolfox wrote:Artificial sweeteners exist because people pay money to consume them. This is because currently, the economy is dominated by market capitalism, and businesses get a profit form selling consumers products.

beforewisdom wrote:Yah, I may be going out on a limb here, but I would say that most of the population of VF is educated well enough to understand the basics of a market economy. Constantly reminding people of that, could be mistakenly perceived as being pretentious, boorish, etc. As the Beatles sang " if you go around carrying pictures of Chairman Mao, you aren't going to make it with anyone, any how...."

I knew I would sound boorish and pretentious. That's because, well, that was the question originally asked: [i]Why do artificial sweeteners exist?" I answered it. So could've anyone else.

beforewisdom wrote:My question, put another way, is basically, why do people buy those artificial sweeteners when regular sugar is already low enough in calories not to be an issues with weight management.....with moderate use?

^That is a MUCH more interesting question, and not at all the question originally asked.

I don't know the answer to your new question at all. But it's an interesting question. There's lots of strange habit that make no sense at all... like why people drink soda. Or alcohol. Or a lot of stuff that's really pointless and expensive. Meh.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Fallen_Horse » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:41 pm

beforewisdom wrote:.....with moderate use?

Have you HEARD of America?
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby Konstantin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:21 am

In the film Super Size Me and book ('Don't Eat This Book') there was some shocking stuff about how much sugar the guy consumed living off McDonald's for a month. It was something like 500g a day. When there's quantities like that it makes sense to look at cutting calories, although there is a more obvious solution that introducing sweeteners: drink water and eat real food.

I'm like Xrodolfox, I don't care how much sugar I eat. If I get a weight problem maybe I'll change but in reasonable quantities sugar is just high GI carbs and i'll use the calories.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby sergio » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:04 am

Konstantin wrote:it makes sense to look at cutting calories, although there is a more obvious solution that introducing sweeteners: drink water and eat real food.

I thought this was the point of the thread, questioning use of sweeteners when better and straight solutions exist. It's obvious people use them to save calories, but sometimes remedy is worse than malady (look at the aspartame!).
I accidentally replaced all of my blood with coffee.
sergio

Postby ninearms » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:06 am

Aspartame is awesome. Pepsi Max > all other colas.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Next

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating