Move over Soy, Europe's first Vegan Butcher chooses Lupin

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Move over Soy, Europe's first Vegan Butcher chooses Lupin

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:05 pm

A Lupin farmer decided to become Europe's first "Vegetarian Butcher" by opening up a shop that sells nothing but meat substitutes made out of lupin beans.
http://www.supportmfm.org/news/europes- ... rlands.cfm

1 cup of cooked lupin beans as compared to 1 cup of cooked soy beans has
- 5 grams less protein
- about 100 fewer calories
- about 200 mg less calcium

The other higher protein legumes I know about like mung beans, lentils and peas don't even come close to amount of protein in soy. Lupins only have 5 grams less. I'm passing by a market today that sells harder to find grains and legumes. I will have to try to see if I can find a bag of lupin beans. Sounds interesting.
beforewisdom

Re: Move over Soy, Europe's first Vegan Butcher chooses Lupi

Postby tal » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:33 pm

That is amazing... I really hope to go there some time. Thanks for sharing it.
tal

Postby penguin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:45 pm

[quote="beforewisdom"] I will have to try to see if I can find a bag of lupin beans. Sounds interesting.

If I remember right, I bought lupins once and cooked food from it. I used it as a normal bean, soaked it first then cooked and use the whole beans for pasta sauce. The lupin didn't taste much of anything and the beans were little hard.
my body is not a temple, it's an amusement park
penguin

Postby Linnéa76 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:48 pm

Can we designate him King of Vegans? 8)
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby thestoatyone » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:34 pm

Cool; I think the German chaps are rather fond of their Lupin mock-meats hopefully this will mean I get a chance to try some!
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby vegimator » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:08 am

[quote="beforewisdom"]A Lupin farmer decided to become Europe's first "Vegetarian Butcher" by opening up a shop that sells nothing but meat substitutes made out of lupin beans.
http://www.supportmfm.org/news/europes- ... rlands.cfm

1 cup of cooked lupin beans as compared to 1 cup of cooked soy beans has
- 5 grams less protein
- about 100 fewer calories
- about 200 mg less calcium

The other higher protein legumes I know about like mung beans, lentils and peas don't even come close to amount of protein in soy. Lupins only have 5 grams less. I'm passing by a market today that sells harder to find grains and legumes. I will have to try to see if I can find a bag of lupin beans. Sounds interesting.

You can find Lupins in Mediterranean markets, often pickled which is the typical way they're eaten. They're pretty much free of the phytates, lectins, oligosaccharides, enzyme inhibitors and other antinutrients that are in soy and most legumes and basically free of starch. The downside is that it's a huge pain to cook them from a dry bean because they're full of bitter alkaloids that require multiple days of soaking in salt water (changing the water every day, sometimes for up to 10 days!) before cooking. Also, while they're close to the amino acid content of soy, they're not quite as good (lower methionine).

I'd love it if we had lupin based meat products in the states but I think it's mostly still Germany/Austria at this point.

The video linked to in your first post was pretty cool BW. http://www.rnw.nl/english/video/lupin-b ... ative-meat
Last edited by vegimator on Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
vegimator

Postby beforewisdom » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:56 am

The video was interesting though when comparing it with some stuff I read on wikipedia today I wonder how accurate it is. The wikipedia page stated lupin had a reputation for draining the soil and the video said the exact opposite. I also thought soy was unfairly dissed. What they had to say does not apply to organic soy grown for human consumption. The problems with soy are with overdoing it to feed livestock.

I find lupin interesting because it is new to me. The only advantage it has to me over soy beans is the lower calories, but soy has more protein, more calcium and is far easier to prepare ( 20 min in a pressure cooker ).

Reading some descriptions of what you have to do to prepare lupin beans scared off from buying any today.

I might still try it, I saw some interesting methods on the net.

I once made seitan from scratch, from flour, kneading dough all day long to work the starch out. Making lupin, at least once, looks like another adventure.

The preparation probably has been the thing holding lupin consumption back and is probably why soy knocked it out of its niche in Europe. The lupin farmer in the article was smart to come up with the idea of lupin based mock meats to create more demand.

LOL, maybe I can find it canned :)

I'm sure if it is good it will find its way to the US

I was amazed at how clean the processing plant in the video was.......leave it to the Germans.
beforewisdom

Postby vegimator » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:25 am

[quote="beforewisdom"]
I was amazed at how clean the processing plant in the video was.......leave it to the Germans.

Heh, that shop is actually in the Netherlands.

I agree that they were dissing soy because they were trying to make lupins sound more impressive. Soy is also a nitrogen fixer that requires little fertilizer.

Lupins are great though if you're avoiding starch or have trouble digesting soy.
vegimator

Postby penguin » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:16 am

[quote="beforewisdom"]
The preparation probably has been the thing holding lupin consumption back and is probably why soy knocked it out of its niche in Europe. The lupin farmer in the article was smart to come up with the idea of lupin based mock meats to create more demand.

Actually had lupin&wheat protein mock stake last night (bought it from our local shop), it was ok. nothing specially but with good sauce and good side dishes its ok. Have to check how much lupin were in it.

[quote="beforewisdom"]
LOL, maybe I can find it canned :)

This would kick ass :)
my body is not a temple, it's an amusement park
penguin

Postby Cecilia » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:08 pm

There's an online shop at http://www.devegetarischeslager.nl/ , don't know whether they deliver internationally though.

I'm not much into meat substitutes but I'm definitely going to get some of their stuff for when my family comes for dinner and demands meat!
Cecilia

Postby beforewisdom » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:51 pm

I wonder if there is really a need for a mock meat made from something other than wheat or soy. Aside for reasons of local agricultural issues or allergies. My thought is that once something is heavily processed it might taste pretty similar to other things that are heavily processed.

Has anyone who has tried lupin faux meats noticed a difference in taste or texture?
beforewisdom

Postby vegimator » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:21 pm

[quote="beforewisdom"]I wonder if there is really a need for a mock meat made from something other than wheat or soy. Aside for reasons of local agricultural issues or allergies. My thought is that once something is heavily processed it might taste pretty similar to other things that are heavily processed.

Has anyone who has tried lupin faux meats noticed a difference in taste or texture?

Nutritional variety for people who consume a lot of fake meats to keep their protein intake high relative to carbs. Relying too heavily on one allergenic protein source is not ideal (even if you're not currently allergic to soy, it seems to me that intolerances can develop from overconsumption) and the lack of oligosaccharides and enzyme inhibitors in lupins is genuinely unique.
vegimator

Postby beforewisdom » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:29 pm

[quote="vegimator"] Relying too heavily on one allergenic protein source is not ideal (even if you're not currently allergic to soy, it seems to me that intolerances can develop from overconsumption) and the lack of oligosaccharides and enzyme inhibitors in lupins is genuinely unique.

Do you have any figures for the comparative amounts of oligiosaccharides in soy? I ask because I eat organic soy beans. They don't taste like they have a lot of carbs in them, let alone oligosaccarides. I've find them to be virtually gas free.

I feel the same way about enzyme inhibitors. The foods the Weston Price foundation types try to pin a wrap too have been staple food for centuries, staples for me for about 30 years. I'm just not hearing about mineral deficiencies.
beforewisdom

Postby vegimator » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:54 pm

If you just search soy and oligosaccharides, you'll see tons of results. For example this study about people experiencing gas that's the result of soy oligosaccharides.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9925135

It does seem that lupins have a similar level of oligosaccharides though. However, lupin seeds (though not the leaves) are virtually free of the isoflavones found in most beans and especially soybeans and are known to cause interference with the thyroid in cases of inadequate iodine consumption. They're also low in all of the other known antinutrient factors found in soy which reduce amino acid and mineral absorption somewhat.

http://www.lupin.tm.fr/V3/docs/artmariot.pdf

[quote]the extremely low content of anti-nutritional factors is
probably the principal reason for the high digestibility of
lupin-flour protein.

http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/objtwr/impor ... health.pdf

[quote]low protease & amylase inhibitors (T.I = 0.12 mg/g)
• low in phytates (0.58%)
- greater Calcium and Zinc absorption
• low in tannins and saponins
• no detectable lectins

In a head to head, it seems like the lack of antinutritional factors in lupins make up for some of the deficits in amino acids and mineral quantity compared to soy (see the "Postprandial biological value" score in the AA chart in the second study i linked to) but wouldn't actually put it ahead as a protein or mineral source. Still, if you have thyroid issues or trouble digesting soy, or just want to vary your protein sources, lupins seem like a good way to go.

There's a lot of info out there from the Australian lupin industry. Here's one good place to start.
http://www.lupins.org/feed/

Here's a little bit about antinutritional factors in soy and other foods:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16001874

I do agree of course that WAPF vastly overstates the importance of these factors.
vegimator

Postby _Andreas_ » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:15 am

Damn, why do I just find out about this when I leave the Netherlands!!!!!! :evil:
I've heard about lupin products a while ago but still haven't managed to try them.

C'mon, someone with an online shop here must be able to bring them to the uk!!
_Andreas_

Next

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating