Ratio-based Diets

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Ratio-based Diets

Postby KC Masterpiece » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:01 pm

I have what's most likely a fairly stupid question:

For diets (like The Zone, for example) that are based on ratios of carbs to protein to fats, should one use the straight number of grams or the number of calories per gram to determine the ratio?

For example,

If I eat a 5000 cal diet and want to follow roughly a 40:30:30 split, would I be getting

500:375:375g for Carbs:Protein:Fats, or

500:375:167g for Carbs:Protein:Fats based on calories per gram (with fats having 9 calories per gram to carb and proteins having 4cal/g)?

Many thanks.
KC Masterpiece

Re: Ratio-based Diets

Postby barnz2k » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:21 pm

based on calories.

So fat would be 167g

Do you eat that much? I used to be on 5000, 40 30 30 also. Was vegetarian and ate gluten products at the time, I can't imagine eating that much food now, and how to keep the carbs down without 6 pro shakes a day..
barnz2k

Postby KC Masterpiece » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:43 pm

[quote="barnz2k"]based on calories.

So fat would be 167g

Do you eat that much? I used to be on 5000, 40 30 30 also. Was vegetarian and ate gluten products at the time, I can't imagine eating that much food now, and how to keep the carbs down without 6 pro shakes a day..

If that's the case I hve been eating a SHIT TON of fat :lol: . It is tough but yeah I've gotten it to where I can get all that with 1 maybe 2 shakes on big days. One of those shakes is 1100 calories though...

Eating that much is WORK--I can't tell you how glad I am to pare this down a little, lol.
KC Masterpiece

Postby barnz2k » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:01 am

Yeah I think I was lowering the count throughout the day too.. So first couple were over 1000! :eek:

Do you have a plan? Care to share? :)
barnz2k

Postby Konstantin » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:49 am

That also sounds like a crazy amount of protein. Suitable for someone who weighs 270kg (42 stone), but I'm guessing you weigh a little less.

And 5000 calories sounds an enormous amount.

I've heard ratios quote more like 10% protein, seems to make more sense.....?
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby JP » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:03 am

protein intake is not ratio based - thats confusing people.

its an absolute amount, 1.7-1.8 grams per kg of bodyweight for strength athletes and people looking to increase muscle mass.

So the ratio will simply depend on overall calorie intake. If strength athlete is cutting weight by reducing calorie intake, the ratio will shoot up.
JP
Site Admin

Postby barnz2k » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:16 pm

5000 is a lot, but when your metabolism is off the charts like mine and KC's no doubt, you need it. I basically lose weight eating anything much under 3000.

Does metabolism not have an affect on the intake/use of Protein also? If your body needs more calories then surely it needs more protein too? 1.7-1.8 is another "average". If I went by suggested averages for food intake I'd waste away!
barnz2k

Postby JP » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:14 am

[quote="barnz2k"]
Does metabolism not have an affect on the intake/use of Protein also? If your body needs more calories then surely it needs more protein too? 1.7-1.8 is another "average". If I went by suggested averages for food intake I'd waste away!

im no expert, but dont think so? As in, there is only so much protein regardless of overall cal intake that your body can utilise and has been linked to increased sports performance in strength sports. Overall calorie intake is about energy used - so they are better to be thought as totally separate requirements, and you need to meet both of them.
JP
Site Admin

Postby ninearms » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:47 am

[quote="JP"][quote="barnz2k"]

im no expert, but dont think so? As in, there is only so much protein regardless of overall cal intake that your body can utilise and has been linked to increased sports performance in strength sports. Overall calorie intake is about energy used - so they are better to be thought as totally separate requirements, and you need to meet both of them.

I don't know why you'd single out protein intake though - there's a limit to all macronutrient use (and requirements). If you're eating 5000kcal a day you're going to be overconsuming ALL nutrients, not just protein, but which is closer to the actual requirements for performance and health - 300g of protein or 300g of carbs? It's the former.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating