Desperate to lose weight, not sure where to start.

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Desperate to lose weight, not sure where to start.

Postby fredrikw » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:15 pm

[quote="mabli"]Ha looks fit to me...

Yep, and so does a huge amounts of other people, with a huge variety of diets, as well. Looking at one specific example won't necessarily say a thing about what's the most healthy diet. If I told you I know a person who only eat junk food, and looks healthy and perform well in sports, would it suddenly become healthy to eat junk food?
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby mabli » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:36 pm

Nope I was just responding to be statement

edit, wrote this on my phone which auto corrects my spelling... should say BW's statement
mabli

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:42 pm

[quote="mabli"]
BW those must have been huge snacks :-)

Surprisingly not. One of the other interesting lessons I've learned calorie counting is that many people as far as weight issues go nickle and dime themselves into plus sizes. If you only take in an extra 200 calories a day ( http://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-200-c ... k-like.htm ) you put on twenty pounds over the course of a year.

On the upside, if you are track and only make a small daily reduction, you can get some nice fat loss, painlessly over the course of months.
beforewisdom

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:47 pm

[quote="ha"]
I hear you BW. I forgot to mention my brothers are overweight, my Dad is dead from Cancer/Chemo and my Mum is obese. Great genetics huh. ;)

My family tends to run into cardiovascular issues as well, so let me congratulate you on avoiding that hazard.

I still respectfully disagree with you as I have avoided that hazard as well and I am not on a raw diet.

There are also Atkin's Diet aficionados who keep blogs. They too look in good shape with impressive pictures and they also have stories about improving their cholesterol, etc. In other words, it is my belief that one person getting results they like doesn't necessarily mean what that person believes about their diet is a fact.
beforewisdom

Postby susand828 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:07 pm

I can't remember who said it but agree-write/journal everything you eat-I don't care if it's carb/fat or dirt:) At this point, the main focus should be learning what you are eating/when/ why. From there, you can take that knowledge to start making changes and improvements. Take small steps one at a time. People who change too much at once tend to become overwhelmed and fall back into old habits. Good luck. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!! We are here to cheer for you the whole way. :D
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again. (Anonymous)
susand828

Postby Catt Queen » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:47 pm

[quote="ha"]
Thats why I speak with such conviction cos IF IT WORKS FOR ME, IT WORKS FOR ANYBODY!

Sorry Harvey but I have to disagree with you on this. There is no "one rule fits all" as we're all different.
Catt Queen

Postby booboolove » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:48 pm

I had a bad car wreck a couple of years ago in which I broke my hip and injured my back. During the 18 months it took to heal, I gained 50 pounds. Ouch. So, I lost 30 pounds last year... yes it took an entire year... by using an on-line food/exercise diary at CalorieKing.com and increasing my activity level. Losing the weight made a HUGE difference in alleviating the amount and severity of my back pain. Seriously, a year ago I could barely bend over to tie my shoes and this Sunday I'm running a 10k. You have some excellent suggestions here for how to attack the problem and you've already proven to yourself that you can be successful at losing weight. So, get back on the horse and ride my friend. It will be worth the effort, I promise :)
booboolove

Previous

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating