tooth decay on the vegan diet

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

tooth decay on the vegan diet

Postby seanf399 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:51 am

Hello everyone!
I am an 18 year old who has been vegan for about 2 years now and I am, for the first time in my life, experiencing tooth decay! I have 5 baby cavities and I have NEVER had tooth problems before...I brush and floss my teeth 2-3 times every day its not that I'm not cleaning those damn things.....I've read that this is a problem that some people experience on a vegan diet and I was wondering what sorts of things ya'll have found effective for strengthening your teeth...

I'm really scared, I like my teeth! they're straight and nice and I don't want to lose them......
"Workers of the World Unite."
seanf399

Re: tooth decay on the vegan diet

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:04 am

[quote="seanf399"]I've read that tooth carries is a problem that some people experience on a vegan diet and I was wondering what sorts of things ya'll have found effective for strengthening your teeth.

My guess is that what you heard is just conjecture rather than anything based on evidence. Most people don't make it past 30 without at least one cavity (according to my Dentist), and often, people get cavities as adults once their hormones change (which can happen slowly at any time in adulthood).

That said, I'm one of many vegans who've never had a cavity, and I'm 33, and I've been vegan for 16 years. If I get a cavity now, it is likely to be about the hormones.

What you need is general help in dealing with the cavities. Just know that is unlikely to be due to the vegan part of the diet, but rather perhaps either your diet, your specific hormones, or random things like if you moved areas and somehow you picked up different mouth flora or drink different tap water. A lot of this just is chance rather than what you do. For example: as a kid I ate candy every day for a month in 1988 and didn't brush my teeth at all that month. No cavities. My little brother did the same thing the same year, and he got half a dozen on the same diet. Sometimes it's just luck.

Now, according to my kid's dentist (they've got cavities :( ) The biggest thing that you can do is to drink floridated tap water. According to my dentist, is is also possible for adults to OVER floss and brush, pealing their enamel away and making their teeth ripe for cavities. These are things I've heard from my local professionals, but all of this is also disputed by other professionals (especially about the tap water). Sometimes, the factors on why people get cavities are so complex, and frankly, unknown even by dentists, that we experience it as random luck. Don't blame yourself, and just try doing different things and testing it out. What works for some won't work for others. You just have to find what works for you.

What I do, is that I don't drink anything beverages other than water. I do drink soups and soymilk/ricemilk, and I rarely drink juice, and even more rarely, soda. I never drink coffee, alcohol, tea, or any special drinks. I think it works for me.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby LisaB » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:56 pm

If your teeth are starting to decay and soften for whatever reason your dentist can give you a prescription flouride rinse to use for a while
LisaB

Postby Meshounah » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:04 pm

keep your simple sugar consumption to a minimum and you are good to go.
Meshounah

Postby seanf399 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:38 am

haha ok! :-)
I'm still going to drink some coffee tea and beer though :-)
maybe some soymilk XD
"Workers of the World Unite."
seanf399

Postby Konstantin » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:04 am

I can't see how veganism could be linked, unless giving up meat and replacing it with sugar was the plan.

There's a lot of opinion that most damage is done with drinks more than food. My dentists said we should avoid apple juice.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby beforewisdom » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:06 pm

I never mention my diet to a health professional of any kind unless directly asked ( that rarely happens ).

Doctors are overscheduled. Like us, if we are faced with a complex system, a time rush, a problem and many, MANY possible reasons they are inclined to grasp at the first uncommon factor........a vegan diet......to explain the situation.

With a rushed doctor breaking the momentum after that point is a lot more difficult than simply saying nothing at all.
beforewisdom

Postby ha » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:01 am

Judging by the massive amount of dentists in every town and the minority of vegans, we can safely say that being a vegan has nothing to do with dental issues.

I mean if you went vegan and lived on white bread, meth and coke and you got 'smacky mouth' then some people would say 'Its cos your a vegan mate!' and they would forget about all the other bad habits one has.

Late nights.
Stress.
Eating too much processed stuff.
Not drinking enough water.
Not getting enough vit D from the sun..
raw vegan banana case that has cycled over 190 000km cycled as a vegan.

y - youtube.com/durianriders
f - facebook.com/durianrider
t - twitter.com/durianryder
b - durianrider.org
w - 30bananasaday.com

Drink up, carb up, sleep up... cos everyday is the day to live it up!
ha

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating