asked so many times[where do you get your protein]

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

asked so many times[where do you get your protein]

Postby morg » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 am

I know that the old how do you get your protein- surely you need meat question will have been asked on here, and replied too many times, and will keep cropping up, but Ive been asked that very same question three times in the last few days so thought Id repost the link to this article.
Now if anybody asks you and you cant be bothered to go through it all, just point them towards this post and article :D
http://www.healthpromoting.com/Articles ... rotein.htm
oh and while Im at it
calcium
http://www.vegsource.com/articles/calcium_update.htm
LOVE PUNK ROCK-hate racism
hate homophobia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFOBdoWL ... PL&index=2
morg

Re: asked so many times[where do you get your protein]

Postby soniczip » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:43 am

99,99% of people asking me "why are you vegan", "where do you get your proteins", "where do you get your calcium" aren't really interested in the answer.

what they really mean is: "it's stupid to be vegan", "you can't get enough proteins if you are on a vegan diet", "you can't get enough calcium if you are on a vegan diet".

but, of course, they politely ask "why" or "where". of course "my" answer is not going to be satisfactory, and because they are not interested, they won't be bothered checking articles, books, scientific proofs. this is my experience anyway.

i'm not being negative. i'm only saying that, adding a trick to your strategy, it could be useful asking them: "why are you asking?", "how much time do you want to spend considering and checking an unbiased and scientific answer?".

if they are positive, then give them the article, book, web link and tell them you want to hear their opinion tomorrow, in a week, in a month (depending on the media they chose). :D
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby tal » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:58 am

Agree with above.

[quote="soniczip"]but, of course, they politely ask "why" or "where". of course "my" answer is not going to be satisfactory, and because they are not interested, they won't be bothered checking articles, books, scientific proofs. this is my experience anyway.

A good way of finding out if they are genuine about it is to respond with 'why are you not vegan', if they last more than a few seconds without a snappy defensive response then you know you are talking to someone who is interested.
tal

Postby baldy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:04 am

Yesterday I had someone who managed to get the two most common questions combined.
[quote]"Your vegan, that means you cant eat any protein?"
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Konstantin » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:10 am

Sonic Zip, my experience agrees with yours, except they usually TELL me I'm not getting enough). I'd suggest three questions for them:

How much do you think I get? (they will have no idea even what units it's measured in)

How much do you think I need? (no idea again)

So, are you telling me one number that you don't know is larger than another number you don't know?

I then tell them they've convinced me and I'm off to eat some meat.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby soniczip » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:19 am

[quote="Konstantin"]So, are you telling me one number that you don't know is larger than another number you don't know?

noted down, and excited about using your quote next time :lol:
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby JP » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:55 am

hey i just got asked that at work about 3 minutes ago :D

"you are NOT vegan, NO WAY!"

actually quite satisfying :lol:
JP
Site Admin

Postby etherspin » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:56 am

even if you perfectly answer those questions they will finish with .... I couldnt live without cheese... :roll:
etherspin

Postby JP » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:59 am

[quote="etherspin"]even if you perfectly answer those questions they will finish with .... I couldnt live without cheese... :roll:

she said similar, "i couldnt do it" - i just said "you mean be vegan or do strongman sport?" :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby JS » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:35 am

HA HA JP I like it :)
JS

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:12 pm

I haven't gotten asked that in years. But last time I was asked, I got sarcastic.

then: So if you are vegan, where do you get you protein?
me: Oh noes! I've been vegan for 15yrs and i am now ded! <acts as if dying, clutching at the air> oh noes. I am deds! there is no way I could be kicking your butt without dying...
them: oh.

Then, after I laugh, and if they are still around, I explain the concept of calories and then I flex.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby VeganGraham » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:38 pm

"Where do you get your protein ?"
"Name three foods that don't contain protein."

That one's always worked for me. :P
I haven't yet met anyone who has been able to answer "sugar, oil and alcohol" and if I did, I don't think it would be to hard to convince them that that is not what I live on.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby KC Masterpiece » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:38 pm

[quote="Big Good Wolf"]"Where do you get your protein ?"
"Name three foods that don't contain protein."

Yeah the Socratic method always seems to work. Just keep asking them to clarify what they mean without being an ass and a big, shiny reductio ad absurdum always pops up.
KC Masterpiece

Postby beforewisdom » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:36 pm

My answer: "from my food"
beforewisdom

Postby Konstantin » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:40 pm

JemmyDucks said he says "I don't. I get no protein at all." That's Jemmy Ducks who does leaping handstands and leads the press ups table and stuff.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Next

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating