" - but Asians don't eat that much soy"

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby beforewisdom » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:32 pm

I'm not an expert of any kind, just a guy on a web board. Below is a blog post about an interesting reply I came across to the common point from anti-soy people that Asians don't eat a lot of soy

http://beforewisdom.com/blog/?p=1686
beforewisdom

Re: " - but Asians don't eat that much soy"

Postby DB » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:52 pm

I'm reasonably certain that the anti soy crowd is anti soy because they think that soy is to vegetarians what meat is to them and they want to attack our "only" source of protein in order to strengthen their own position on meat. It's lame.
Interestingly enough, the loudest anti soy bunch (Weston Price followers, for instance) are also quite loudly in favor of small, family owned farms raising free roaming grass fed beef and should be focusing their energy on fighting factory farms instead of attacking alternatives.
DB

Re: " - but Asians don't eat that much soy"

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:35 am

I think you are right.

I find that aspect amusing. If soybeans vanished I would find it a small inconvenience, but it would hardly disable my diet or even make it boring.

In addition to anti-vegetarians I think there are two more groups in the anti-soy people.

The first is what I call "diet folklorists", the kind of folks who hang out around old health food store cafes and like to tell stories related to folk medicine. The kind of people who will tell you "nightshades" are poisonous, blood type diets and whether or not you should eat fruit by the way your thumb joint bends.

The second group, IMHO, is the animal agriculture industry to whom soy is a real threat. 60% of the global adult population can't digest cow's milk. In the U.S. people who don't care about veganism at all love soy milk and some even tofu. Even organic soybeans are cheap compared to ground beef and have a lot of nutrition per dollar.
beforewisdom

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating