Grain Coffee?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Grain Coffee?

Postby flatbushvegan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:11 pm

Anyone drink grain coffee? I recently picked up some Cafix at the health food store, after mostly drinking herbal tea for a long time after quitting coffee and tea for personal reasons. I'm surprised at how good it is--maybe because I haven't had coffee in a long time :). Would love to hear advice about the best brands/types, preparation etc. if anyone on the board has been drinking it for awhile.
flatbushvegan

Re: Grain Coffee?

Postby baldy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:14 pm

Coffee is made from a bean, not a grain, not sure what your drinking but its not coffee.
It probably has bits of carob and stuff in it.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Re: Grain Coffee?

Postby flatbushvegan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:55 pm

Oh, I guess I should have been more clear--there are grain and root-based "coffee" substitutes (like chicory "coffee") that have been around since the days coffee was too expensive for most people. There are a few different brands imported from continental Europe made from roasted rye, barley, chicory, beet root etc. in health food stores, and at least in the US, there used to be a mainstream product called Postum that was a grain "coffee." It was popular--but not popular enough!--with Mormons and others who won't consume caffeine in any amount, even the residual amount in decaf coffee.
flatbushvegan

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating