Tea, Coffee, Now Mate

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Tea, Coffee, Now Mate

Postby beforewisdom » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:29 pm

[quote="Gelert"][quote="beforewisdom"]Do I really need to worry about aluminum pollution in tea?

http://www.springerlink.com/content/cecvaet0urlgtgud/

I don't. Tea is top stuff.

Mate is slightly questionable - some work suggests the temperature it is drunk at increases the risks of various cancers, whereas the polyphenol content is thought to protect against others...

I don't want to buy the paper. Could tell me if aluminum with tea is a problem to watch out for?
beforewisdom

Postby Gelert » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:47 pm

Abstract says enough really.
Gelert

Postby beforewisdom » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:56 pm

The abstract seemed to state that black tea can be significant source of aluminum.

Why aren't you concerned about it?

Is this the result of pollution or something natural people just discovered?
beforewisdom

Postby Gelert » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:29 pm

[quote="beforewisdom"]Is this the result of pollution or something natural people just discovered?

Aluminium is in soil naturally, but tea plants selectively accumulate it.
Gelert

Postby beforewisdom » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:28 pm

Ah, okay and people have been drinking tea for centuries to generally positive effect.
beforewisdom

Postby Gelert » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:38 am

[quote="beforewisdom"]Ah, okay and people have been drinking tea for centuries to generally positive effect.

Yep. Of course you can imagine a situation where someone unscrupulous uses aluminium sulphate as a fertilizer in areas used for crops, or other hotspots.

The main concern is Alzheimer's, which is becoming a bit of a global crisis and not just in tea drinking countries.

Speaking as someone with 4 out 5 people on my father's side and generation of the family with dementia, the thing to really watch is blood pressure and cardiovascular stuff in general.
Gelert

Postby beforewisdom » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:06 pm

Interesting, I never heard of cardiovascular issues being associated with Alzheimer's, but then I don't follow the issue.
beforewisdom

Postby Gelert » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:42 pm

[quote="beforewisdom"]Interesting, I never heard of cardiovascular issues being associated with Alzheimer's, but then I don't follow the issue.

Studies with identical twins apparently show that 60% of the risk is due to lifestyle factors. But Alzheimer's is only one kind of dementia, and the other kinds account for a lot of the total burden - some of which are directly down to small strokes in the brain and such.
Gelert

Postby stateofflux » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:45 pm

Life without black tea would be unimaginably dull. Have to look out for Barry's, reviewers say you can stand a spoon up in it it's that strong which is the way I like it. Is it easy to find in English supermarkets?

I live by this manifesto, except the bit about encouraging philosophy.

stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby beforewisdom » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:29 pm

[quote="Gelert"][quote="beforewisdom"]Interesting, I never heard of cardiovascular issues being associated with Alzheimer's, but then I don't follow the issue.

Studies with identical twins apparently show that 60% of the risk is due to lifestyle factors. But Alzheimer's is only one kind of dementia, and the other kinds account for a lot of the total burden - some of which are directly down to small strokes in the brain and such.

That is seriously interesting.

I guess aluminum would be an "environmental factor".

I guess the "lifestyle factors" for Alzheimer's and other dementia would be the same as for cardiovascular issues? I've seen murmurings about inflammation.
beforewisdom

Postby beforewisdom » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:33 pm

LOL @ .flux

You have to be British to express that sort of sentiment. Which I wonder about how much the British really do love tea since they tend to cover up the taste with milk and sugar.

I know that even black tea has only half the caffiene of coffee. What do tea lovers turn to when they need more of a boost?

I've read that yerba mate has as much caffiene as coffee, has 8% of the recommendation for daily zinc intake and at least on me doesn't seem to have as bad of a crash as coffee.
beforewisdom

Postby Gelert » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:44 pm

[quote="beforewisdom"]LOL @ .flux

+1!

[quote]I guess the "lifestyle factors" for Alzheimer's and other dementia would be the same as for cardiovascular issues?

Roughly so. The tangle of protein that causes Alzheimers is but one cause of dementia. Others include small strokes and such. Or eating people (and beef).

[quote]What do tea lovers turn to when they need more of a boost?

Biscuits.

Or copious amounts of cocaine snorted off the body of a supermodel using brand-new crisp £50s fresh from HSBC can take the edge off the pain for a little while. Failing that, more biscuits.
Gelert

Postby beforewisdom » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:58 pm

[quote="Gelert"]
Biscuits.

I guess you mean "cookies". Yah a bit of sugar does bring you up, but for only a few moments.

[quote]
Or copious amounts of cocaine snorted off the body of a supermodel

That would certainly help reverse the stereotype of the English as stiff, humorless and deadpan :)
beforewisdom

Postby baldy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:45 pm

[quote=".flux"]Life without black tea would be unimaginably dull. Have to look out for Barry's, reviewers say you can stand a spoon up in it it's that strong which is the way I like it. Is it easy to find in English supermarkets?

If anyone wants Barry's tea that badly pm me your address and I will send you out a box.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Gelert » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:54 pm

[quote="beforewisdom"][quote="Gelert"]
Biscuits.

I guess you mean "cookies".

Sorta kinda. The etymology of biscuit stems from the latin for "cooked twice" [bis coquere]. I suppose cookies would cover one kind of biscuit - of which there are many. This doesn't include the scone-like thing you guys have over there. We call them "scones".

Speaking of cocaine, and of course this is a total irrelevance for us all, but there is absolutely no truth in the rumour that Cadbury's milk chocolate fingers contain small amounts of aforementioned stuff.
Gelert

PreviousNext

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating