Tea, Coffee, Now Mate

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Tea, Coffee, Now Mate

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:32 am

I recently had a nice experience with an iced yerba mate drink giving me a pleasant lift so I googled around on mate, tea and coffee.

There is no shortage of writings for any of these products having wonderful health effects.

Yet millions if not billion of people drink these things and most suffer from what these drinks are supposed to prevent.

What gives?

I'm guessing when people don't overdo it, they get that nice lift from their caffiene source so they like to attribute nice things to it. I'm also guessing all of these studies are incomplete. I'm also guessing if these plants do what they are supposed to do the benefits are not powerful enough to override less than optimal lifestyles and environments.

So far green tea is my favorite, followed by Irish Breakfast when I need to pull myself out of a tailspin, though it looks like yerba mate might be a candidate for that seeming to have fewer nasty side effects.
beforewisdom

Re: Tea, Coffee, Now Mate

Postby baldy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:50 am

[quote="beforewisdom"]
So far green tea is my favorite, followed by Irish Breakfast when I need to pull myself out of a tailspin, though it looks like yerba mate might be a candidate for that seeming to have fewer nasty side effects.

Irish breakfast, whats that? Everyone here drinks Barrys tea, never heard of Irish breakfast tea though.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Gelert » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:56 am

[quote="baldy"][quote="beforewisdom"]

Irish breakfast, whats that? Everyone here drinks Barrys tea, never heard of Irish breakfast tea though.

The kind of tea you can only find abroad and probably made by Twinings.
Gelert

Postby Clem Snide » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:37 am

[quote="baldy"][quote="beforewisdom"]

Barry's tea is an Irish institution.
Clem Snide

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:22 pm

[quote="baldy"]

In the United States it is a general name for a type of tea, like "Earl Grey". It is a black tea. It is my understanding that if you want to go for a high caffiene tea you go for "English Breakfast" tea and if you want something even more powerful you go for "Irish Breakfast" tea.

What makes Barry's brand so popular? Tradition? Taste? High caffiene content?

LOL, it would seem Barry's has an "Irish Breakfast" blend too, though they use green tea:

http://www.barrystea.us/catalog/index.php?cPath=28
beforewisdom

Postby baldy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:59 pm

[quote="beforewisdom"][quote="baldy"]

In the United States it is a general name for a type of tea, like "Earl Grey". It is a black tea. It is my understanding that if you want to go for a high caffiene tea you go for "English Breakfast" tea and if you want something even more powerful you go for "Irish Breakfast" tea.

What makes Barry's brand so popular? Tradition? Taste? High caffiene content?

LOL, it would seem Barry's has an "Irish Breakfast" blend too, though they use green tea:

http://www.barrystea.us/catalog/index.php?cPath=28

Have not tried the Barrys Breakfast, I will get it next time. Normally I have Barrys gold loose. Its just normal tea with a blend that is traditional in Ireland. Tastes pretty good, boy.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:31 pm

I have a friend visiting her family in Ireland. Does it taste good enough to ask her risk harassment at the airport to bring home a box for me?
beforewisdom

Postby BlueRose » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:41 pm

Ah, Barry's. Had some when I was in Ireland, also picked up a ton of tea while I was there.

Miss Ireland. Love Dublin.
rational romantic mystic cynical idealist.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VeganWomenBodybuildingAndFitness/
Boston Vegan Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BostonVeganFitness/
BlueRose

Postby Clem Snide » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:16 pm

[quote="beforewisdom"]I have a friend visiting her family in Ireland. Does it taste good enough to ask her risk harassment at the airport to bring home a box for me?

No, it's just tea. You can probably get the same stuff in different packaging in whatever country you call home.
Clem Snide

Postby BlueRose » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:27 pm

[quote="Clem Snide"][quote="beforewisdom"]I have a friend visiting her family in Ireland. Does it taste good enough to ask her risk harassment at the airport to bring home a box for me?

No, it's just tea. You can probably get the same stuff in different packaging in whatever country you call home.

I've never been harassed for tea, and I'm crossing back over into the US. When asked if I bought anything food or whatever, I just say tea and get a nod and a "have a nice day", there you go.
rational romantic mystic cynical idealist.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VeganWomenBodybuildingAndFitness/
Boston Vegan Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BostonVeganFitness/
BlueRose

Postby powerlifer » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:56 am

Im not a fan of tea or coffee myself primarily for the reason of it containing caffeine. I really burned out my adrenal glands a few years back with stimulant abuse and poor diet.

I prefer to drink herbal teas such as nettle leaf, dandelion, jiaogulan(one of my favorites). Or rooibos which is probably my favorite herbal tea, richer in antioxidants than green tea aswell as being caffeine free and low tannin.
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
http://www.amlaberry.co.uk
powerlifer

Postby baldy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:14 pm

[quote="powerlifer"]Or rooibos which is probably my favorite herbal tea, richer in antioxidants than green tea aswell as being caffeine free and low tannin.

Rooibos is great stuff mainly because it tastes so nice and doesn't keep me awake at night,
baldy
Site Admin

Postby beforewisdom » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:47 pm

[quote="powerlifer"]Im not a fan of tea or coffee myself primarily for the reason of it containing caffeine. I really burned out my adrenal glands a few years back with stimulant abuse and poor diet.

Interesting. Did you go to a doctor, have your hormones measured and have your adrenal output listed as deficient? What stimulants did you use? How much? How was your diet poor?
beforewisdom

Postby beforewisdom » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:55 pm

I posted my question about calcium content in twig tea on a macrobiotic forum. Someone there had the good suggestion of contacting the company, as they have been measuring mineral content due to the tea plant absorbing aluminum and fluoride in contaminated areas.

Is this for real? Do I really need to worry about aluminum pollution in tea?
beforewisdom

Postby Gelert » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:39 pm

[quote="beforewisdom"]Do I really need to worry about aluminum pollution in tea?

http://www.springerlink.com/content/cecvaet0urlgtgud/

I don't. Tea is top stuff.

Mate is slightly questionable - some work suggests the temperature it is drunk at increases the risks of various cancers, whereas the polyphenol content is thought to protect against others...
Gelert

Next

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating