Protein and muscle gain

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Protein and muscle gain

Postby muchluv » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:38 pm

I don't get the whole 1g/1lb thing. If I did it, I would consume 150g per day. While the RDA or whatever is around 55, that means 100g extra protein a day, which is 700 a week, 3kg a month, etc. I'm pretty sure no one is gaining 3 kilos of muscle a month. So in that case, where is the extra going? I've seen people saying you could expect to gain 5-12lbs muscle in a year, even if we double that, that's 2lbs a month, triple it, 3 lbs a month and so on. But 3kg extra protein in a month? It doesn't make sense. Perhaps there's some scientific reason I am unaware of.
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby JP » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:55 pm

[quote="muchluv"]I don't get the whole 1g/1lb thing. If I did it, I would consume 150g per day. While the RDA or whatever is around 55, that means 100g extra protein a day, which is 700 a week, 3kg a month, etc. I'm pretty sure no one is gaining 3 kilos of muscle a month. So in that case, where is the extra going? I've seen people saying you could expect to gain 5-12lbs muscle in a year, even if we double that, that's 2lbs a month, triple it, 3 lbs a month and so on. But 3kg extra protein in a month? It doesn't make sense. Perhaps there's some scientific reason I am unaware of.

yeah in a word body isnt that efficient that it could utilise 100% of the protein you consume.

All data we have reliably available come from studies which have tried to find a level where extra consumption is bringing benefits and they seem to stop at around 1.7-1.8g/kg of bodyweight. Its then athletes own judgement call if they are too bothered if they dont get the exact optimal amount - i quite often dont, but aim for it anyway.
JP
Site Admin

Postby muchluv » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:00 pm

Thanks JP!

The only other question is, I have seen people state that the body 'cannibalises' itsself if enough protein doesn't get consumed. I wonder at what point this is true, and if not, or your consuming enough but not optimal, if the body is just slower to repair or makes do with less? Intriguing.
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby ninearms » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:31 pm

[quote="muchluv"]Thanks JP!

The only other question is, I have seen people state that the body 'cannibalises' itsself if enough protein doesn't get consumed. I wonder at what point this is true, and if not, or your consuming enough but not optimal, if the body is just slower to repair or makes do with less? Intriguing.

The RDA is problematic for several reasons:

1) It's an average, the aim of which is to cover an average population. That population includes 5 year old children and housebound 90 year old ladies.
2) The RDA is merely the minimum amount of protein required to avoid nitrogen deficiency, i.e. the amount of protein necessary to replenish all bodily tissues, including hair and skin. It doesn't account for the amount of protein required to repair muscle tissue damaged during strength training, nor the amount of protein necessary to build further muscle.
3) It only prescribes a minimum amount for the general population, not an optimum amount for athletes.

The xg protein/xkg BW rule is more useful because it takes into account bodyweight. However, a more useful approach is to simply divide your plate in half, fill half with lean protein and the other half with vegetables, and add some good fats on top. Don't fill up on starchy carbs, because that means you'll be too full for ice cream with peanut brittle and chocolate sauce afterwards.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby DB » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:54 pm

[quote="muchluv"]I don't get the whole 1g/1lb thing. If I did it, I would consume 150g per day.

It's about 1g/per KILO. Not 1g/per pound. Unless you weigh a 150 kilos or about 330 pounds, you wouldn't need that much. If you weigh 150 lbs, then you're right about 66 kilos which would be 66 grams of protein a day.
DB

Postby Meshounah » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:09 am

Another quick question: I've been considering eating more protein before bed, however I've learned that eating too many carbs before bed inhibits muscle growth, how much is too much?
Meshounah

Postby baldy » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:32 am

[quote="Meshounah"]Another quick question: I've been considering eating more protein before bed, however I've learned that eating too many carbs before bed inhibits muscle growth, how much is too much?

I think that is rubbish. Don't over think it, effort better spent training and starting a log.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating