Craving booze after hard training

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Craving booze after hard training

Postby Herbsman » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:34 pm

Probably due to past habits. When it's time for carb replenishment nothing seems to hit the spot better than sugary booze. Need to get rid of these cravings somehow. I'm not giving in to them but it's driving me mental!
Herbsman

Re: Craving booze after hard training

Postby xrodolfox » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:54 pm

habits are hard to break.

But, if you find a habit that rocks, and is fun, you'll start craving that new habit. I just eat a lot of bananas with PB after workouts.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Herbsman » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:58 pm

I need something that's loaded with simple carbs and also numbs my muscles. Any ideas? Maybe just HTFU and enjoy feeling normal post-exercise instead of that warm and fuzzy, dilated capilliary, mildly anaesthetized feeling brought on by alcohol...

Hmm speaking of dilated capilliaries. Deep Heat does that. If I could find something to rub on myself, but without the methyl salicylate...
Herbsman

Postby Herbsman » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:01 pm

Pure menthol & eucalyptus oil to rub on my leg muscles or something
Herbsman

Postby JP » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:00 am

try different things?

my personal favourite is chocolate soya milk.

but i do know lifters who drink a few beers pretty much after every training session... :?
JP
Site Admin

Postby Hiking Fox » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:29 pm

I love beer after walking and cycling (but not after running) and don't see why there would be any problem with it. Beer (proper beer) is nutritious, tasty and relaxing in moderation. Enjoy your beer.
Hiking Fox

Postby fredrikw » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:33 pm

Alcohol inhibits testosterone release, which is vital for recovery and super compensation (the body adapting to the training load and becomes stronger/faster). While one beer probably won't make a huge difference, there are actually good reasons to perhaps think twice about this, at least if you're training to get better and not primarily for the social aspect of the actual activity.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Herbsman » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:23 pm

[quote="Hiking Fox"]I love beer after walking and cycling (but not after running) and don't see why there would be any problem with it. Beer (proper beer) is nutritious, tasty and relaxing in moderation. Enjoy your beer.

(it's actually sweet wine that I'm craving)

The problem is that alcohol inhibits recovery. I'm trying to get fit enough to start racing. It's counterproductive to be training so hard if I'm not going to get the full benefit. Thinking about how horrible the last turbo session was, and how horrible every turbo session ever will be, it's quite frustrating to think that I experienced all that torture and then wasted even 1% of it.

Real ale might contain decent nutrients but no more than can be found in decent bread. And there are better ways of relaxing than using alcohol.

I've managed to stay away from the bad stuff after training. Have had a drink on a few rest days though. I think the last step of me giving up drinking is stopping using wine for cooking. It's the only booze I actually like drinking anymore. It's fine for cooking, because the alcohol content of the food is negligible after the majority has evaporated... but once I've used part of a bottle for cooking with there's always at least a glass and a half left that I'm tempted to drink. And I don't drink slow, or stop at one.

It's mostly a case of keeping alcohol out of the house and not going to pubs - I find it easy not to drink when there's no temptation.

*stays strong*

*drinks tea*
Herbsman

Postby Herbsman » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:13 am

Update: FAIL.

Nuff wine.

I blame winter.

And certain 'conditions' experienced/endured when young.
Herbsman

Postby Herbsman » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:15 am

Oh... but what am I going to do about it?

Set goals. Get motivated. I was doing really well until this f-king cold weather set in. Hadn't had a beer for ages. Doesn't help that this house is colder inside than outside. Thankfully I'm moving in 12 days...
Herbsman

Postby mabli » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:46 pm

once we get passed christmas spring is round the corner, not long now, hold on to that thought and you're ok :-)

cold and dark isnt good, at least if you're near snowy hills you can get a big fix of light.
mabli

Postby Darcy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:42 am

Buy those overpriced, bad quality, mini bottles of wine for cooking so you don't have tempting leftovers!!
Darcy

Postby ha » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:17 pm

This is like someone asking 'After a hard day, I feel like sleeping at night..'

After hard training you have extra need for carb replenishment and if your body recognises carbs as alcohol from past lifestyle choices then its naturally going to force you to booze more to get its required carb intake met.

Good think about humans is that we are easy to programme new habits especially when it comes to carb choices. Just up your fav carb choices to 10g of carbs per kg of bodyweight per day as a MINIMUM for a month and watch your booze cravings dissolve.

Why doesnt AA recommend high carb intakes as therapy? Im absolutely clueless!!!
raw vegan banana case that has cycled over 190 000km cycled as a vegan.

y - youtube.com/durianriders
f - facebook.com/durianrider
t - twitter.com/durianryder
b - durianrider.org
w - 30bananasaday.com

Drink up, carb up, sleep up... cos everyday is the day to live it up!
ha

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating