Citric Acid Powder

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Citric Acid Powder

Postby jamesndawson » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:51 pm

About every week I buy 2 to 4 large lemons, squeeze juice from them and put it in a little jar and into the fridge. I often use this to tarten my daily fruit smoothie and sometimes my pasta sauce.

But sometimes I run out. I thought it might be convenient to get some lemon powder to have on hand when I do. I went to the natural foods store for some of this, but all I found was powdered lemonade with sugar in it, which I'm trying to avoid. But they did have citric acid powder, which I bought.

In reading Wikipedia, it said that CAP was very caustic and will burn your eyes and skin, though as I was pouring it in the little bag, I didn't experience any burning in my throat or eyes or on my skin, and there usually is a little dust that comes up when you do that. (I HAVE had the problem, quite badly, with Thai seasoning powder.) It also warned that it's bad for your teeth, but isn't any sort of citric juice? Is CAP worse?

Some more questions:

Do they sell pure lemon powder and does it have any nutritional or other advantages over CAP? I suspect the powderizing process would leach out all the vitamin C and other good nutrients out of lemon powder.

I make my smoothie in about a 20 oz. single-serving blender. If I were to use CAP in it, how much would be safe? I don't want to burn a whole in my stomach.

Your help with answers, advice, links, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks.
James
jamesndawson

Re: Citric Acid Powder

Postby ninearms » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:18 pm

Citric acid powder is also sold under another name: kettle descaler. Not sure I'd want to drink that!

I'd just buy Jif lemon/lime juice for your purpose. It doesn't have to actually taste like fresh fruit, or have any nutritional benefits (and in that amount it would be negligible anyway).
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby emm7 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:21 pm

I strongly advise you NOT to consume citric acid powder.
It is used as kettle descaler for espresso machines and also in "eco-friendly" limescale remover products.
"she was my better half and I was just a dog"
"I don't have a drinking problem except when I can't get a drink"
"No, the moon ain't romantic, it's intimidating as hell
And some guy's trying to sell me a watch"
-- Tom Waits Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
emm7

Postby Talyn » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:23 pm

Couldn't you just buy lemon juice from the supermarket? Sure it won't be as fresh as if you squeeze it yourself but if it's only for the flavour you should get on fine with the pre-packaged variety.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby Gelert » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:29 pm

James, this would not be a good idea.

It's the kind of thing we either wear gloves and goggles to use in the laboratory, or get undergraduates on summer projects to use for us instead, as they are generally regarded as expendable. It is known as a respiratory, eye and skin irritant.

Plus, buying too much of it in this day and age will likely get you an orange jumpsuit and a free holiday to Cuba.

I would agree with ninearms that a lemon substitute would be an useful option instead. Or perhaps lime juice?

Additionally, citric acid confers no particular health benefit as a supplement. Indeed, our entire aerobic metabolism depends on it - but only because we make it ourselves as an intermediate in the tricarboxylic acid cycle which derives about 2/3rd of the energy from our daily bread.
Gelert

Postby jamesndawson » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:56 am

Thanks everybody. I don't think I will use it. I'll just get a bottle of pasteurized lemon juice. The reason I thought powder might be better is because I thought it'd keep better. It seems juice might go bad before I'd use much of it.

Not to spurn your warnings, and I'll definitely heed them, but if CAP is so dangerous, why do they sell it in the food section of my natural food store right next to the lemonade, and why didn't I cough or anything when dust came up when I poured it? It's listed as an ingredient in jams, pasta sauce and lots of other foods. By the way, I absented mindedly put a big teaspoonful of it in my coffee (thinking it was my stevia). It ruined my coffee and I poured the rest out, but didn't burn my stomach or make me gag or anything. I was annoyed with myself but not sick or staggering around or anything.

Again, not arguing, just puzzled.
James
jamesndawson

Postby Gelert » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:43 pm

There are lots of things which are irritants but don't make you cough upon first exposure. Quite often it's repeated, sometimes tiny exposures that do the damage. In fact, the only respiratory irritant that I've worked with on a regular basis that lets you know that it's irritating your lungs by making you cough is sodium dodecyl sulphate. This compound, AKA sodium laureth sulphate is in the vast majority of soaps and detergents you can buy. But because it's wet, it doesn't get into your lungs.

All this said about CAP, it's probably safer for you and your testicles than the stevia you planned to have in your coffee.

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/webpage/stevia
Gelert

Postby vegimator » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:48 pm

Gelert wrote:All this said about CAP, it's probably safer for you and your testicles than the stevia you planned to have in your coffee.

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/webpage/stevia

Not to derail the thread here, but what are your thoughts on xylitol Gelert? I've been using it in energy bars lately. The only negative things I've heard about it is that it has a small laxative effect.
vegimator

Postby Gelert » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:08 pm

Not heard anything bad about it for humans - dogs don't do well with it though, from what I recall.
Gelert

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating