Vegan kids

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Vegan kids

Postby iain_g » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:27 pm

I cannot understand why the British Nutrition Foundation attracts any credibility from a broadsheet paper -- have a look at its members
http://www.nutrition.org.uk/aboutbnf/membercompanies/members
MacDonalds, Coke, Dairy Crest... FFS!
Seems to be nothing more than a lobby group.
iain_g

Postby ObiWanKenobi » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:57 pm

[quote="vegimator"][quote="ObiWanKenobi"]Read this:
Too much meat, dairy raises breast cancer risk
..."Overall, we observed that there was a higher risk of breast cancer among women who ate foods rich in animal fat such as red meat, cheese, ice cream and butter during their 20s, 30s and 40s," Cho said. ...

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s903406.htm

Perhaps they grow higher because of the bovine growth hormones in dairy products, that trigger tumour growth too

Yeah, the article I linked to starts with that idea too. Makes sense to me.

There are some strange things about that, the meat industry doesn't want you to know...

Study links meat-rich diet to early puberty in girls
Eating excess meat in early years of life may trigger premature puberty in girls, reveals a novel study. ...

Read more: http://www.themedguru.com/20100614/news ... 36514.html

It's terrifying to see how some people are wrecking their body in a early age ... :?

And don't forget this link:

Low Breastfeeding Rates Incur Billions in Medical Costs
... "Exclusive breastfeeding" meant only breast milk -- no water, infant food, juice, formula, cow's milk, or sugar water. (Note that the economic analysis may have been an underestimate of the financial cost of low adherence to breastfeeding guidelines, since few of the cost projections were based on six months of exclusive breastfeeding.) ...

Read more: http://www.medpagetoday.com/Pediatrics/Parenting/19367
ObiWanKenobi

Postby Sid Delicious » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:07 am

Anything out of the ordinary in terms of health, weight height etc with vegan kids tends to get blamed on veganism. For example, my kids are shorter than average for their age, so people assume it's cos they are vegan. My partner met someone with a 4 year old vegan girl who was way bigger then most her age and people claimed it was because she was vegan (you know, the "soya products make you big and sexually mature real young" line of thought. My kids don't show any signs of any deficiency, and blood tests have showed they are healthy. About the only 'problem' I think is getting them to eat enough calorie dense food for energy as they are told at school that foods like chocolate are bad for you and will sometimes be reluctant to eat occassional treat foods.
I think one factor that many people don't realise is that in the last few decades people's food consumption patterns have changed drastically in the 'developed' world. Adults AND children on average eat a lot more meat, dairy and processed/junk food than we did a couple of generations ago. On top of that people are less physically active (increased car use etc) so it is no surprise that the average person now is about 5-10kg heavier than 30 years ago. This raises the bar in terms of what people expect is 'normal'. Vegans tend to eat less junk food and obviously don't eat the amount of calories from saturated fat that your average meatatarian does; consequently vegans tend to be more lean and so often get labelled as being skinny or scrawny, when in fact they are what was once considered normal. I came across an article in the newspaper a couple of years ago about a study in Sydney, Australia that showed that many parents were concerned that their children were below normal weight and so were overfeeding them.
Sid Delicious

Postby DB » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:47 pm

I think that is pretty much it, Sid. I've been thinking that may be playing a big part in my worries about my daughter being small. My son is smack dab in the middle of every growth chart, but my daughter is down at the 3rd percentile. They both eat the same foods in the same house. I've been worried about her and trying to feed her more energy dense foods, but she just doesn't eat much. On the other hand, she's an excellent student, has plenty of energy, is quite healthy and doesn't get sick often, no problems concentrating, etc. She goes on bike rides with me and does quite well. So maybe she's just fine and everybody else is just big. I think with everybody else ready to blame our diet for any deviances from the norm may be affecting my own perspective.
DB

Postby Sid Delicious » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:49 pm

Yes, I think people worry more about size and not healthiness. Also, every person is different so will grow in a different way. My youngest daughter is 2 years younger than her sister but is close to the same size and weight. Although she is a little more fussy with what she eats, she tends to eat more than her sister. Both are happy, healthy and full of energy. And although the eldest is in the lower end of height and weight for her age, she kicks ass in the playground! Many of the larger kids have trouble with things requiring strength such as climbing/swinging on the monkey bars, but not J.
When you have an uncommon kind of diet such as vege or vegan, there is so much pressure to blame that style of diet for any growth or health abnormalities. I've known quite a few people who have gone back to eating meat and/or dairy when they got sick with a cold. Then when the cold goes away they declare that they got better cos they ate meat. Funny thing is that they continue to get colds even though they are eating meat, but don't seem to think "oh, I got sick, it must be because I am eating meat, I better stop and eat more vegetables"!
Sid Delicious

Postby DB » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:22 am

Heh, yeah. Sounds like we're in the same boat. My boy is 3 years younger and the same size as my daughter. He just eats a lot more and is less fussy about what.
I guess I just don't want people to blame veganism for my daughter's size which of course they will do. She get's told at school all the time she needs to eat meat or she won't grow. We're in a rural part of Austria where you can't hardly go outside without seeing cows out to pasture, so meat and dairy is pretty heavily integrated into the culture. Fortunately, she's pretty damn stubborn and really doesn't want to eat animal products so she doesn't cave in to the pressure, but she WOULD like to be bigger.
DB

Postby fitnessnoob » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:43 pm

I do not think that this is right the children to be vegans! It can harm their health. Children need many vitamins and minerals which are not only in fruits and vegetables but also in meat and fish and bread!
fitnessnoob

Postby xrodolfox » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:01 pm

[quote="fitnessnoob"]I do not think that this is right the children to be vegans! It can harm their health. Children need many vitamins and minerals which are not only in fruits and vegetables but also in meat and fish and bread!

Noob, clearly, you aren't stating anything but conjectures.

Kids and adults need vitamins and minerals all of which are present and bioavailable in fruits and veggies and legumes and grains.

People should have a choice to eat food. Some things that some people eat are not food: like mud, or other humans, or other animals, or McDonald's. It is reasonable to raise a child with choices to eat all foods they desire. Unfortunately for McDonald's, we don't consider what they sell as "food", and we don't consider what most of our relatives eat "food" either. But my kids aren't "deprived of choice", and certainly not of health. You can talk to our pediatricians for evidence.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Konstantin » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:18 pm

[quote="fitnessnoob"]I do not think that this is right the children to be vegans! It can harm their health. Children need many vitamins and minerals which are not only in fruits and vegetables but also in meat and fish and bread!

Can you give an example?

And the people discussing this are not suggesting kids should eat no bread.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby mabli » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:19 pm

noob didnt u say u werent allowed to eat meat for health reasons :?

my kids are extremely healthy, happy kids and have never, ever resourted to eating meat
mabli

Postby fitnessnoob » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:35 pm

mabli, you misunderstood me! Yes, I have problems with the heart pressure and that is why doctors do not allow me to eat meat as it increases the pressure. Konstantin, as for the bread, I did not say that kids shouldn't eat bread, no, v/a, they should eat as their organisms are not formed yet as adults! We need to eat meat as it is a source of fiber, fish as it is a source of phosphorus anf bread as it is a source of cellulose!

xrodolfox, thank you for your post! it is helpful!
fitnessnoob

Postby Linnéa76 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:52 pm

[quote="fitnessnoob"] We need to eat meat as it is a source of fiber, fish as it is a source of phosphorus anf bread as it is a source of cellulose!

Meat is not a source of fiber. As for phosphorus, you can get it from many vegetables especially the ones with a sharp taste e.g. onion, radish, garlic.
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby fitnessnoob » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:12 pm

I do not mind, I just assume, thank you for your comment,Linnéa76
fitnessnoob

Postby fitnessnoob » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:21 pm

Sorry, it is not my statement, I am a new member here and I am a new vegan! That is why I just require the advice here! Thank you for your explanations, people!
fitnessnoob

Postby mabli » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:36 pm

Hey, that's OK. Loads of kids have been succesfully rasied as vegans and veggies, meat and dairy really arent necassary in the diet :D
mabli

PreviousNext

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating