Soy protein gives me bad stomach

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Soy protein gives me bad stomach

Postby Ombah » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:55 am

About 3 weeks ago I started excersising pretty intense and after each excersise I've been drinking a soy protein-shake. Since I started doing that my stomach isn't what it used to be. My farts stinks like hell and I must poop a lot.

It has to be the soy, cause it's the only thing I've change in my diet. Should I stop with soy and use something else or can you use it combined with something to make it more gentle to the stomach?
Ombah

Postby baldy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:03 am

Out of interest what is in the soya protein shake?
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Ombah » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:10 am

Sweet soya milk, Banana (not always), Cacao, Soy protein powder.

Sometimes I do a protein pudding with dates, bananas, raw cacao and soy protein powder.
Ombah

Postby baldy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:15 am

If you are making it with soya milk, then I would not bother about the soya protein. Depending on the brand each liter of soya milk normally has about 25-30g of protein in it already.

Depends how much protein you want to get, as I runner I assume you probably are more worried about the carbs?
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Ombah » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:19 am

I both run and build muscles. Don't get confused by the nick :)
Ombah

Postby Ombah » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:26 am

baldy wrote:Depending on the brand each liter of soya milk normally has about 25-30g of protein in it already.

Yeah, but I only drink soy milk when I'm doing the shakes and then I use about 2-3 deciliter.
Ombah

Postby baldy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:29 am

As you said its probably the added soya protein. Try remove it and gradually add it back to see if your body gets used to it?

In my shakes I always aim for 30g protein and 60g carbs. I would not go over 50g of protein that is probably excessive.

What kind of lifting are you doing? You should start a training log :)
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Ombah » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:34 am

Okay! I'm almost out of powder now. I'm thinking about trying without powder and do it "natural" through food.

I go to the gym and do some at home. At the gym I use machines and at home i lift weights. I must say that I've seen big progress in only three weeks!

I've been thinking about a training log but I'm so bad at the english training words :P
Ombah

Postby Talyn » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:12 am

you could try rice, pea, or hemp protein. they are usually always available.

btw starting a training log will help your english - so its a win-win ;)
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby Catt Queen » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:15 am

For breakfast today I made a smoothie (that ended up being eating with a spoon :lol:) from one mango, two bananas, 1 scoop of ground flax, and two handfuls of soya beans (bought dry, soaked, cooked and frozen until needed). Maybe an idea for you to play around with? :)
Catt Queen

Postby Ombah » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:25 am

Talyn wrote:you could try rice, pea, or hemp protein. they are usually always available.

btw starting a training log will help your english - so its a win-win ;)

Yeah, but these proteins need to be ordered at internet and since I don't work atm it's a big expence. Soy protein is the only thing avalible in my town.

Okay! I will start a log! :)

Catt Queen wrote:For breakfast today I made a smoothie (that ended up being eating with a spoon Laughing) from one mango, two bananas, 1 scoop of ground flax, and two handfuls of soya beans (bought dry, soaked, cooked and frozen until needed). Maybe an idea for you to play around with? Smile

I already have a morning smoothie with 1 banana, freshly pressed oranges, spirulina, maca, nettle powder and some oat meal. And to be honest I'm not a big fan of thick smoothies, haha. But the bean part wasn't a bad idea :)
Ombah

Postby hoffmeister » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:36 am

I react different on different soy proteins. The more isolate the better for my stomach.
this is Sparta
hoffmeister
Reluctant Moderator

Postby JP » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:50 am

this is why i dont use soya protein isolate - get so much soya as it is, and developing intolerance to it would kill me! (emotionally)
JP
Site Admin

Postby Ombah » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:22 pm

JP wrote:this is why i dont use soya protein isolate - get so much soya as it is, and developing intolerance to it would kill me! (emotionally)

Yeah, that's one reason why I'm considering to stop with the soy protein. But it's so cheap and it works! Do you use any extra protein stuff?
Ombah

Postby fredrikw » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:43 pm

Have you actually taken a look at the protein and carb content of a regular glass of soy milk with o'boy (or any other chocolate drink powder)?

My recovery drink consists of about 4dl of sweetened Alpro soy milk and 5 tsp of Änglamark's organic chocolate drink powder, which adds up to about about 15g of protein and 40g of carbs. As an endurance athlete this is a pretty good protein/carb ratio.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Next

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating