cutting weight to a competition

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: cutting weight to a competition

Postby aliquis » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:12 am

I think I could swear (almost ..) that taurine for some reason or another seem to put on more (water) weight on me. Though I guess I can never promise for sure. Don't know if it's just because it hangs around in the blood for some time.

Would glycerolmonostearate be allowed? It's not under WADA longer since it can mask something else. I don't know if it really helps keeping you rehydrated either, guess it may raise the blood preasure / water volume atleast.

Don't know if potassium or something such is beneficial either.

Slowcarbs, some salt and water and creatine and such early, tyrosine + taurine + caffeine + GMS + inositol (?) before and maltodextrine + bcaas just before / during? :D

Dunno .. :D

I don't know if the talk about cellular pressure from creatine + glutamine + taurine + inositol is true or not.

Or maybe just taking them with water up the weight anyway because you've drank more water :D
Last edited by aliquis on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aliquis

Re:

Postby aliquis » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:14 am

[quote="dubin"]Sodium is important to the athlete. Table salt is not.
I see what you did here...

Or wait, I don't.

Or maybe you just speak of volumes.
aliquis

Postby JP » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:00 pm

hehe, that reads like from a chemistry handbook :D

in the end i didnt do anything super fancy.

Started with steady fat loss and got my morning weight to 105.5kg from that height of 113.5, then nailed tons of water on friday and saturday before the comp and ate tons more than normal on both days. Stopped fluids at about 8pm on saturday weighing 108kg.

two hot baths, and no water, apart from couple sips, because i am not into torturing myself.

weighed in at 104.6kg

was not hard at all, and comp performance was good.
JP
Site Admin

Postby aliquis » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:32 pm

Good, yeah I saw it was about weight loss but I was more into trying to regain water weight / pressure / pump / hydration / whatever you want to call it as much as possible before the actual lifts.

Tyrosine is used to make dopamine and norepinephrine, caffeine raise the later = Performance I assume.

GMS hangs around in the blood (or body?) for quite some time messing up osmolality (particles held in a fluid) which the body compensates for by increasing volume (by adding water) of the blood.

Creatine is obvious I guess though I doubt it helps short term.
Potassium and carbohydrates to hold more water.

Taurine, glutamine and inositol (rather useless b-vitamin it seems) are all claimed to increase the pressure / volume of the cell. (You probably get less of an effect from each individual amino acid if you mix them up though, because in the end if you add all of them you could just aswell just had eaten protein :D)

Just in case it could have helped feeling like 110 ;D

(I know supplementing taurine isn't supposed to increase muscle taurine content (though vegans have less taurine in them and they have none in the diet which seems kinda contradicting) but if I understood it right of some other amino acids. If nothing else I guess taurine to may affect osmolality off the blood if it just hangs around in there for hours.)
aliquis

Postby Lordmuppet » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:39 am

Hey so I have a powerlifting comp (push/pull) on the 16th of September. Been gradually losing weight and maintaining (with possible exception of DL) strength for last two months. Am down to 70kg morning naked weight after morning poop. Would like to make the 67.5kg class to try to have a shot at the national single lift qualification number for DL (don't want to compete at nationals single lift just want to qualify).

So yeah weigh in is only half an hour before the comp so any suggestions? Any tricks to get the last 2.5kg off without having to keep cutting? I ask because most of the stuff I've seen here and elsewhere is about weigh ins that are the night or day before.
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby tal » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:50 am

[quote="Lordmuppet"]Hey so I have a powerlifting comp (push/pull) on the 16th of September. Been gradually losing weight and maintaining (with possible exception of DL) strength for last two months. Am down to 70kg morning naked weight after morning poop. Would like to make the 67.5kg class to try to have a shot at the national single lift qualification number for DL (don't want to compete at nationals single lift just want to qualify).

So yeah weigh in is only half an hour before the comp so any suggestions? Any tricks to get the last 2.5kg off without having to keep cutting? I ask because most of the stuff I've seen here and elsewhere is about weigh ins that are the night or day before.

What's your carbohydrate intake like at the moment?

In the leadup to my last comp, I was taking in around 400-500g CHO per day. 4 days before the comp I cut carbs back to around 150g per day and dropped 2.5kg of water weight in that time - I went from 75kg to 72.5kg.

'Further cutting' in a time period that small will yield no results. Keep eating the same amount of calories just lower CHO and increase fat. We are only talking 4-5 days here.
tal

Postby Lordmuppet » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:18 pm

[quote="Talyn"][quote="Lordmuppet"]Hey so I have a powerlifting comp (push/pull) on the 16th of September. Been gradually losing weight and maintaining (with possible exception of DL) strength for last two months. Am down to 70kg morning naked weight after morning poop. Would like to make the 67.5kg class to try to have a shot at the national single lift qualification number for DL (don't want to compete at nationals single lift just want to qualify).

What's your carbohydrate intake like at the moment?

In the leadup to my last comp, I was taking in around 400-500g CHO per day. 4 days before the comp I cut carbs back to around 150g per day and dropped 2.5kg of water weight in that time - I went from 75kg to 72.5kg.

'Further cutting' in a time period that small will yield no results. Keep eating the same amount of calories just lower CHO and increase fat. We are only talking 4-5 days here.

what is CHO?

Have cut about 3-4kg of bodyweight already but that has taken about 3 months. That said wasn't being as careful with diet to start with.

um not sure about exact carb intack. I've been trying to follow a vegan version of the Precision Nutrition diet. A normal day (bit extra of the same on lifting days) looks like this

300g Block of tofu with ton of veggies and herbs.

1 or two cups of Pinto/Mung beans with ton of veggies.

two tablespoons of olive oil

Protein Shake: 60 grams of protein, bunch of fruit, celery, 1/3 or 1/4 of a can of coconut milk, 1/4 cup of ground flax seed

edited to add: glass or two of ricemilk

edited to add: DHA supplement, creatine 3-5 grams a day, peppermint tea. multivitamin, vit d supplement, probiotic supplement

Trying to avoid snacks but have been nibbling on oatcakes by themselves and the occasional oatcake/rice cake with hummus/spread. Not in the insane quantities I did before.

edited to add: I google CHO and got 'Chinese Hamster Ovary'!
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby tal » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:44 pm

[quote="Lordmuppet"]what is CHO?

Have cut about 3-4kg of bodyweight already but that has taken about 3 months. That said wasn't being as careful with diet to start with.

um not sure about exact carb intack. I've been trying to follow a vegan version of the Precision Nutrition diet. A normal day (bit extra of the same on lifting days) looks like this

Protein Shake: 60 grams of protein, bunch of fruit, celery, 1/3 or 1/4 of a can of coconut milk, 1/4 cup of ground flax seed

edited to add: DHA supplement, creatine 3-5 grams a day, peppermint tea. multivitamin, vit d supplement, probiotic supplement

Trying to avoid snacks but have been nibbling on oatcakes by themselves and the occasional oatcake/rice cake with hummus/spread. Not in the insane quantities I did before.

CHO is carbohydrate.

So I assume from what you've listed there that's about 2000 calories and fairly low carb already. Fairly standard water loading should be sufficient (4-5 days before increase water intake to 5-6 litres a day, up until 7-8pm the day before then cut all water until after weigh in - you'll be peeing a LOT). Remember I'm not a doctor.

What's the qualifying amount for the weight-class above you? Considering it's your first comp you shouldn't worry so much about making weight, especially if you don't plan on going to the nationals anyway, but that's just my two pence.
tal

Postby ninearms » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:01 pm

I'd argue that unless you're in a position to place well people should only cut weight if a) they need to lift in a lower class to have a better chance of making a qualifying total for a meet they actually want to attend, or b) their training weight is only slightly above the class limit, and cutting is necessary to ensure you're not overweight and prevented from competing at all. I don't see the point of cutting weight to make a qualifying total for a meet you don't want to go to. That's just weird.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby Lordmuppet » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:30 pm

[quote="ninearms"]I'd argue that unless you're in a position to place well people should only cut weight if a) they need to lift in a lower class to have a better chance of making a qualifying total for a meet they actually want to attend, or b) their training weight is only slightly above the class limit, and cutting is necessary to ensure you're not overweight and prevented from competing at all. I don't see the point of cutting weight to make a qualifying total for a meet you don't want to go to. That's just weird.

Hey it's just a target to aim for. I wanted to lose some fat anyway so it's a convenient and very concrete goal. All lifting targets/goals are arbitrary in a sense.
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Lordmuppet » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:40 pm

[quote="Talyn"][quote="Lordmuppet"]what is CHO?

CHO is carbohydrate.

So I assume from what you've listed there that's about 2000 calories and fairly low carb already. Fairly standard water loading should be sufficient (4-5 days before increase water intake to 5-6 litres a day, up until 7-8pm the day before then cut all water until after weigh in - you'll be peeing a LOT). Remember I'm not a doctor.

What's the qualifying amount for the weight-class above you? Considering it's your first comp you shouldn't worry so much about making weight, especially if you don't plan on going to the nationals anyway, but that's just my two pence.

thanks dude :) I'll give that a shot. Qual amount for next one up is 180kg. Like I said only reason I'm going for this one is I had some fat to lose so it seemed a convenient target to aim for and the meet date gives me a deadline for the goal that can't be shifted.
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby tal » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:52 pm

[quote="Lordmuppet"]Qual amount for next one up is 180kg.

Is that all???

Well then my advice is to HTFU, nail jam donuts and ice cream every day and smash 180kg on the day in the 75kg class.

After that you can cut all you like.
tal

Postby Lordmuppet » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:55 pm

[quote="Talyn"][quote="Lordmuppet"]Qual amount for next one up is 180kg.

Is that all???

Well then my advice is to HTFU, nail jam donuts and ice cream every day and smash 180kg on the day in the 75kg class.

After that you can cut all you like.

well this is temporary. Have no desire to be less than 67.5kg for it's own sake. Will probably try bulking after the comp but cleanly. Last time i tried the jam donut route it went a bit wrong he he he :)

Deadlift is way down just now for some reason. All other lifts stayed.
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Lordmuppet » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:08 pm

Also to clarify I would LOVE to go to nationals but want to save up money to go and do the full three lifts not just single lift. Cos this is push/pull i can't qualify for total.
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby JP » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:58 am

i think you guys left out one reason to cut weight to a comp: a personal challenge and a fun thing to try out :)

perfectly legit!
JP
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating