What did you eat during the last movie you watched?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby SpugFab » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:03 am

[quote="ninearms"]People like you and JP ruin the hard work of cinematographers, composers and sound designers everywhere. You should be ashamed.

When designing audio for the cinema you take into account the ambient noise, which tends to be whispers and sweetie wrappers.

Without this baseline, the silence in the movie is TOO SILENT.
SpugFab

Postby skoptic » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:35 am

[quote="SpugFab"]
When designing audio for the cinema you take into account the ambient noise, which tends to be whispers and sweetie wrappers.

Without this baseline, the silence in the movie is TOO SILENT.

LOL .. hilarious thread. So my job is designing those sounds for film, so I think I'm qualified to talk about this. Film sound is about dynamic.. the high and the lows. I've never changed my sound editing, or spoken to others who have changed theirs, to compensate for a noisy audience. I don't reckon people should be silent, it is a communal activity and so lets commune!

Having said that, when there's a lovely quiet section, with subtle atmos layers to juxtapose against the impending explosion mayhem, I don't really want to hear some bloke talking to his missus, or someone rustling around incessantly in a bag of crisps. I reckon if you eat and talk, just do it with some consideration and we'll all enjoy the film!

BTW - I never buy any shit from the cinemas, it's all ridiculously priced and none of it is vegan.
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby helmut » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:48 am

ahahhahaha. if you don't like 'talkers' in the cinema you would hate me - i scream in tense bits and laugh loudly at inappropriate times. i tend to save it for really crappy blockbuster films though ... and if it's a big cinema and an absorbing film no one notices the noise anyway. and if you're not absorbed then its a crap movie and not worth seeing anyway.

i don't tend to eat in the cinema (unless someone else has bought popcorn) but i do like a good coffee...
*take me to the mediocrity dungeon*
helmut

Postby baldy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:54 am

Half the fun is surely smuggling food into a cinema?
In my youth we used to smuggle beers and vodka into the cinema. Nothing like opening an ice cold beer during the opening scene, the sound of the can cracking open is in itself almost satisfaction enough.

The last movie I smuggled a small carton of chocolate soya milk and slab of chocolate in, then ate the large popcorn and coke I was "sharing" with the lady.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby JP » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:07 pm

all this talk about smuggling... i never would have thought it is even an issue!

Always carried food with me, sometimes totally visible.
JP
Site Admin

Postby tal » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:16 pm

[quote="JP"]all this talk about smuggling... i never would have thought it is even an issue!

Always carried food with me, sometimes totally visible.

Must be a perk of being such a big, scary lookin mofo.

I'm with the pro-food crowd though, half the challenge is seeing how much food/grog you can stuff into your pockets / girlfriends handbag.

Can't you get unbuttered popcorn at cinema candy bars in the UK?
tal

Postby fredrikw » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:29 pm

stupid rule, but not too surprising. fortunately this is not the case here, and there are tons of candy shops surrounding every cinema here.

another interesting thing is that the buttered popcorn served in the cinemas here is vegan :shock:

I also hate when people make noise during a movie, but that is probably not a surprise for anyone :)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby BlueRose » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:51 pm

I typically don't eat during the movies--except at the Brattle Theatre in Cambridge, MA. They have nutritional yeast and make the popcorn without butter unless you ask for it. In short, very vegan friendly. :)
rational romantic mystic cynical idealist.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VeganWomenBodybuildingAndFitness/
Boston Vegan Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BostonVeganFitness/
BlueRose

Re: What did you eat during the last movie you watched?

Postby Heinrich » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:58 pm

[quote="JP"]
- a litre of orange juice
- bag of crisps
- 100g of roasted cashew nuts
- purefit protein bar
- 4 rasberry doughnuts
- couple sweets, but only a couple...

Now I know why you liked that movie... :P

Im not so much into the stuff they offer at cinemas and I cant think so long into the future as to bring something myself.
(I think its something from the old days, that youre not allowed to bring food. Nowadays its no problem)

So naturally the best food is at home-movies:
Erdinger Alkoholfrei and Chips.
Heinrich

Postby erske » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:13 pm

Popcorn ftw, like Frederik said they are Vegan in most Swedish movie theaters :D , the biggest question IMO is always the sodas though, and more precisely the volume of the sodas.. And how well you planned your toilet break before the movie... :wink:

I like the kind of movie visits when people have brought glowing light sabers and wave them around during the fight scenes.. :D rather have a bit of ambiance than quiet for sure!!
Something irrelevant about cavemen
erske

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:37 pm

"What did you eat during the last movie you watched?"

I'm going to be naughty and say 'cock.'
Hiking Fox

Postby baldy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:37 pm

[quote="Hiking Fox"]"What did you eat during the last movie you watched?"

I hope it was vegan.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby tal » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:43 pm

[quote="Hiking Fox"]"What did you eat during the last movie you watched?"

I enjoyed Avatar, but didn't like it quite that much. :lol:
tal

Postby barnz2k » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:32 am

book of eli tonight (crap) apple i had on me.

for avatar at imax they gave "free" large coke and popcorn and the popcorn is plain out of the machine, they charge extra for butter and they didnt have salt so it was seemingly vegan!

And the other day for T4 - nachos!

I watch a lot of movies atm...
barnz2k

Postby JuicyJ » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:09 pm

[quote="JP"]i think people like ninearms and konstantin should be banned from posting this thread, akin to people who preach abstenance on a good sex thread.

what about having sex while watching a movie :wink:
JuicyJ

PreviousNext

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating