Cheerios (US) aren't vegan!

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby jemmyducks » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:01 pm

Interesting. Now that almost all breakfast cereals contain multivitamin supplements, a lot that used to be vegan probably no longer are. This imediately reminds me of Pollan's "In Defense of Food" - an awesome book if you get a chance.
Personal Trainer, Health Coach, Dance Artist
San Francisco, CA
jemmyducks

Postby IronRonin » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:14 pm

[quote="cafenervosa"]I'm sorry about your experience!! That sux!!

Just to be safe I only eat Kashi brand cereals. I can trust their ingredients and the stores here locally (in Florida) carry Kashi brands on their "normal" cereal brand shelves. Plus they have these really cool little circular cereal things that taste like Chererios.

Just so you are aware, most if not all Kashi products aren't vegan from what I have seen. I used to live off of them when I was a vegetarian and when I made the switch to vegan I discovered that every single Kashi product I owned had either milk or honey in it. I'm pretty sure those Kashi "O's" you are talking about contain honey.
Faster, smarter, stronger, and more resilient than ever before!
IronRonin

Postby Fallen_Horse » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:29 am

There are a couple of vegan Kashi cereals. Autumn Harvest comes to mind...
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby passionforcompassion » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:00 am

[quote="cafenervosa"]I'm sorry about your experience!! That sux!!

Just to be safe I only eat Kashi brand cereals. I can trust their ingredients and the stores here locally (in Florida) carry Kashi brands on their "normal" cereal brand shelves. Plus they have these really cool little circular cereal things that taste like Chererios.

Really? Literally every product I've ever seen made by Kashi has dairy in it. Hmmm..... The grocery store I shop at must not carry many of their line of products.

Oops, sorry I said the exact same thing as Iron. I can't believe I missed his post! :oops:
Last edited by passionforcompassion on Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
passionforcompassion

Postby bigdane » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:12 pm

As far as the Kosher certification I'm confused. Clif bars are vegan (it says in the ingredients that they don't use ingredients with wheat or dairy) but they're marked Kosher-Dairy. Is this because they share a plant with something that makes dairy therefore it justifies the "May contain traces of dairy..." that precedes the "We don't use ingredients made with dairy..." on there?

I hate how obscenely misleading ingredient labels can be. Purposely too wordy to cover their asses in case of a lawsuit :(
golden finch alight in your loft
i have learned and oh, you have taught
bigdane

Previous

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating