Cheerios (US) aren't vegan!

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Cheerios (US) aren't vegan!

Postby Fallen_Horse » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:09 pm

:( So I just bought a box of Cheerios on sale. I skimmed through the ingredients checking for milk and honey, and good to go.

I get home, eat 3 bowls, then read the nutrition facts again. Apparently they use vitamin D3 in Cheerios now. So Peta's 'Can't Believe It's Vegan' site is wrong, and I figured I would spread the word.

Cheerios aren't vegan! :(
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Re: Cheerios (US) aren't vegan!

Postby Asleep on a sunbeam » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:22 pm

[quote="Fallen_Horse"]:( So I just bought a box of Cheerios on sale. I skimmed through the ingredients checking for milk and honey, and good to go.

I get home, eat 3 bowls, then read the nutrition facts again. Apparently they use vitamin D3 in Cheerios now. So Peta's 'Can't Believe It's Vegan' site is wrong, and I figured I would spread the word.

Cheerios aren't vegan! :(

you like PETA?
Asleep on a sunbeam

Postby aliquis » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:26 pm

[quote="Asleep on a sunbeam"]you like PETA?
What does it have with anything to do?
aliquis

Postby tempehmomma » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:46 pm

[quote="Fallen_Horse"]Cheerios aren't vegan! :(
That sucks! I used to eat Cheerios all the time as a kid. :cry:
tempehmomma

Postby Asleep on a sunbeam » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:34 pm

[quote="aliquis"][quote="Asleep on a sunbeam"]you like PETA?

I'm not a big fan of them, I'm also not sure how reliable they are (I guess this posts helps back things up).

What does it have to do with anything? Well they were mentioned in his post, at least last time I checked.

All I was going to say was that if Fallen Horse did like PETA that personally if I was him I would try and look at other sources as well.
Asleep on a sunbeam

Postby aliquis » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:38 pm

As I understood it Peta had a list of vegan products of which Cheerios was one, but the ingredients have been changed so it's not longer. If that is the case I don't see how it matters what one think about Peta in general =P

Personally I find all education about how animals are treated good, but I think they nudity campaigns and similar weird things just for getting attention but not by using the actual message are weird.
aliquis

Postby Dave Noisy » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:12 am

[quote="aliquis"][quote="Asleep on a sunbeam"]you like PETA?

Perhaps that they're known to say things like 'don't worry about minor ingredients' -- doubtless D3 would be one of them.
Dave Noisy

Postby Crash » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:07 pm

It's a shame, but alot of cereals are not vegan and if there is a non vegan ingredient, but it is below a certain amount, it's not listed.

I try to read the ingredients, but also look for the circled U symbol on the front. If it's a circled U with a D outside of it - it means there's dairy in there somewhere. If not, you're good to go. (I do this for bread as well.)
Demolisher of faces and my enemies beards (no matter where they are located) since 2002.

www.PCRM.org
Click here to help homeless animals.

All truth goes through 3 stages - 1st it's ridiculed. Then it's violently opposed. Finally it's accepted as self-evident.
Crash

Postby Fallen_Horse » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:37 pm

[quote="Crash"]I try to read the ingredients, but also look for the circled U symbol on the front. If it's a circled U with a D outside of it - it means there's dairy in there somewhere. If not, you're good to go. (I do this for bread as well.)

Awesome suggestion, I never knew!

Now what if it's a circled K with a D outside?
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby Crash » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:03 am

I'm not certain Fallen Horse. I do know that K stands for Kosher, so it might just mean that the ingredients (dairy included) are kosher. Let me get back to you on that....
Demolisher of faces and my enemies beards (no matter where they are located) since 2002.

www.PCRM.org
Click here to help homeless animals.

All truth goes through 3 stages - 1st it's ridiculed. Then it's violently opposed. Finally it's accepted as self-evident.
Crash

Postby Dave Noisy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:39 am

[quote="Crash"]I'm not certain Fallen Horse. I do know that K stands for Kosher, so it might just mean that the ingredients (dairy included) are kosher. Let me get back to you on that....

I believe i just read that this indicates the presence of dairy, so stay away.

A K without the D is non-dairy, tho there could be egg or other animal products, just no dairy. (Kosher Jews for some bizarre reason chose not to mix dairy and flesh.)
Dave Noisy

Postby Fallen_Horse » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:56 pm

Damnit I looked through my cereals and one has K with a D outside! This is a sad day for my cereal-loving self... :(
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby Seitanist » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:07 am

[quote="Crash"]It's a shame, but alot of cereals are not vegan and if there is a non vegan ingredient, but it is below a certain amount, it's not listed.

I try to read the ingredients, but also look for the circled U symbol on the front. If it's a circled U with a D outside of it - it means there's dairy in there somewhere. If not, you're good to go. (I do this for bread as well.)

I used to think that kosher was a pretty good indication for vegan-ness too, but products can contain fish, which is kosher but not vegan, so you have to watch out for that.
The devils of past religions have always, at least in part, had animal characteristics, evidence of man's constant need to deny that he too is an animal, for to do so would serve a mighty blow to his impoverished ego. -Anton LaVey
Seitanist

Postby cafenervosa » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:08 pm

I'm sorry about your experience!! That sux!!

Just to be safe I only eat Kashi brand cereals. I can trust their ingredients and the stores here locally (in Florida) carry Kashi brands on their "normal" cereal brand shelves. Plus they have these really cool little circular cereal things that taste like Chererios.
Runs with scissors...
cafenervosa

Postby Edison Carasio » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:01 pm

Things like this annoy me. I bought a box of shredded wheat, only to find out after reading the ingredients that it had gelatine in it.

And slightly off topic, PETA sucks. People for the ethical treamtmen of animals, but they kill strays. Way to go, hypocrites.
Edison Carasio

Next

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating